• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Hello,

Sorry for being ignorant. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. If I don't have a LTCH in Indiana, what are my rights? Could someone point me to the relevant thread?

Thanks,
    Barackalypse

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    What rights are you referring? If you are not an excluded person you have the right to own and posses a firearm. You can carry a concealed firearm on your person in your place of residence and/or business.

Is that what you are referring?

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Hi rsklar,

Sorry for not being clear. Am I allowed to carry, concealed or open, outside of my place of residence and/or business?

The reason I ask is because I have been told that open carry is allowed without a LTCH.

Thanks,
    Barackalypse

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    More to the point, I am interested in reading the thoughts of others on the constitutionality of the Indiana LTCH permit. If there is a thread disscussing this topic, I would be obliged if others could direct me there.

The Spud

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Hoosier in Exile
    If you are intent to carry on your person, either concealed or openly, a handgun in the State of Indiana, AND you are a resident of the State of Indiana, you must have a valid Indiana License To Carry Handgun.

BTW, IANAL

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    There have been lots of threads about the dubious Constitutionality of requiring any kind of license to bear arms, but they are scattered throughout the forum. To your specific question, Indiana Code (IC) does require you to have a License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH) to possess one outside of your home or business, except under certain circumstances that are called out specifically in the IC (for example, during transport to or from a shooting range, to a new place of residence, to a gunsmith, or to and from a mailing facility used for sending the firearm to a manufacturer or gunsmith. See the explicit Code for all exemptions.) No LTCH is required to carry a long arm, however - in any condition that you wish. The relevant IC is listed in the FAQs, above; but the sections pertaining to firearms is in IC 35-47 starting with section 1-1.

Last edited:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    More to the point, I am interested in reading the thoughts of others on the constitutionality of the Indiana LTCH permit. If there is a thread disscussing this topic, I would be obliged if others could direct me there.
    Try these two threads for openers.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/carry_issues_and_self_defense/112968-requirement_to_apply_for_ltch_is_unconstitutional.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/the_legislation_of_the_2nd_amendment/97124-ic_35_47_2_1_1_a_is_a_violation_of_article_1_section_32_a.html

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I believe cap and ball revolvers or single shot muzzle loaders, things that do not take fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition or was MADE before 1899 is exempt from licensing in either cc or oc.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You are incorrect as you must have a license to carry openly or concealed.

However, just curious, did ATFE tell you this? I have caught them spreading false information before and this was one of their memes.

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    There have been lots of threads about the dubious Constitutionality of requiring any kind of license to bear arms, but they are scattered throughout the forum. To your specific question, Indiana Code (IC) does require you to have a License to Carry a Handgun (LTCH) to possess one outside of your home or business, except under certain circumstances that are called out specifically in the IC (for example, during transport to or from a shooting range, to a new place of residence, to a gunsmith, or to and from a mailing facility used for sending the firearm to a manufacturer or gunsmith. See the explicit Code for all exemptions.) No LTCH is required to carry a long arm, however - in any condition that you wish. The relevant IC is listed in the FAQs, above; but the sections pertaining to firearms is in IC 35-47 starting with section 1-1.

Rockhopper is correct on the law. Barakalypse, I would recommend you get a LTCH so you are never in doubt and always legal. The immediate problem is that the processing time is long (I've heard 5 mos.) as the ISP only has one gal to process the flood of applications that are coming in.

barackalypse

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2009
    Thank you kindly,

I appreciate all of your responses, and did not mean to incite any discontent. I do presently carry an Indiana LTCH with a lifetime certificate. I just wanted to understand the legal ramifications. I will explore the referenced threads to expand my understanding.

Again, thanks to you all.

Regards,
    Barackalypse

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    IC 35-47-2-19
    I got my information from the Indiana Code.

Application of chapter
    Sec. 19. This chapter does not apply to any firearm not designed to use fixed cartridges or fixed ammunition, or any firearm made before January 1, 1899.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

And called the ISP Sellersburg post to make sure.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Not you, Kurr, the OP.

I have caught ATFE telling people that one does not need a license to open carry in Indiana. I wondered if they were still on this misinformation program still.

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Not much more I can add. I think the message is clear that you DO need an LTCH to OC in Indiana. If you are from outside Indiana and have a permit from your State (Indiana Recognizes) you can also OC in Indiana.

Also if you visit another State that does not require a Permit to OC, you would be permitted to do such. For example, PA is an Open Carry State except for Philadelphia. Which means you could OC in PA without a permit.

Check the Laws of the State you are visiting as anyone visiting any other State must comply with the laws of that State.

Top Bottom