• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BedfordGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    Can I sell a handgun to a person who has an Illinois DL? I live in Indiana and have an Indiana DL as the seller. He Lives in Illinois and has a Ill. DL. Would this be a legal transaction? He has no Felonies, convictions, or anything else that would interfere with the transaction.

BedfordGlock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    OK! Thanks Dino81. That's pretty much what I thought but wanted to make sure. Next question...Can I sell private party IN to IN residence without going through the FFL?

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    OK! Thanks Dino81. That's pretty much what I thought but wanted to make sure. Next question...Can I sell private party IN to IN residence without going through the FFL?

Yes! As a resident of Indiana, you can sell a firearm to another resident through a private transaction as long as they're at least 18 years old, and you don't have reason to believe that they couldn't own a firearm. (Felony conviction, etc.)

Dino81

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Hobart
    Yes, its common practice to show indiana drivers license and LIcense to carry a handgun. Some people even fill out paperwork, bill of sales type thing to record serial numbers, drivers license #, etc but it not required. Just use good judgement. Also, if you have any reason to believe they are a drug addict or felon, don't sell!

Have a look around the forum, you will find almost all your answers! Good luck and welcome to ingo!

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I always thought that the recipient had to be 21 - or is that only for when purchasing from dealer ?

WeeJ

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    My understanding of the law was that recipient must be 18 for long guns and long gun ammo. 21 for handguns and handgun ammo. A parent or legal guardian can gift a handgun to someone 18+. Not sure about gifting long guns before 18.

Also, the seller must not have info that indicates that the recipient is not legally entitled to possess firearm or ammunition. Felony conviction, domestic battery etc etc.

So, basically, your procedure should be:
    Check DL or ID to verify residency and age
    Ask if they have felony convictions or are under indictment for felony charges.
    Ask if they have any protection orders / restraining orders filed by significant other (past or present)

They could lie to you, but if you do your best, in good faith, to ascertain the truth, then you are in the clear.

Not looked at the laws recently, but that is how I remember it.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My understanding of the law was that recipient must be 18 for long guns and long gun ammo. 21 for handguns and handgun ammo. A parent or legal guardian can gift a handgun to someone 18+. Not sure about gifting long guns before 18.

Also, the seller must not have info that indicates that the recipient is not legally entitled to possess firearm or ammunition. Felony conviction, domestic battery etc etc.

Ask if they have any protection orders / restraining orders filed by significant other (past or present)

They could lie to you, but if you do your best, in good faith, to ascertain the truth, then you are in the clear.

18 for handguns via private sale, 21 for handguns through an FFL.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks for the update C

Anyone know why the difference between dealer and private ?

Because the regulations for an ffl are federal and federal regulations don't address private sales- yet. Indiana only requires a buyer be 18. That's part of the whole "gunshow loophole" that the antigun crowd keep yammering about. Not the part they focus on, but ending private sales would in effect put a national age limit for all sales.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

You CAN do the above, but we are under NO obligation to ask any questions regarding felonies, p.o.'s, r.o.'s, etc..

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Yes, its common practice to show indiana drivers license and LIcense to carry a handgun. Some people even fill out paperwork, bill of sales type thing to record serial numbers, drivers license #, etc but it not required. Just use good judgement. Also, if you have any reason to believe they are a drug addict or felon, don't sell!

Have a look around the forum, you will find almost all your answers! Good luck and welcome to ingo!

I really don't understand WHY people think they need to see a LTCH to sell a firearm in Indiana. The ONLY restrictions - Federal (ATF) or Indiana law is that the person be a resident of the state, 18 years old AND that YOU DO NOT KNOW OR HAVE REASONABLE CAUSE to believe that the person is not a person that is legal to own a firearm. Obviously I would not sell to anyone that appeared Drunk, talked about blowing up the courthouse or had pupils the size of saucers in the sunlight. But I have many friends and relatives that own firearms for hunting and home defense that do not have a LTCH.

To me people that are so scared to sell are undermining the 2nd amendment - Why should a person have to have a LTCH to purchase a firearm? Yes I do have a LTCH as well as an FFL-03 - but certainly am not going to ask anyone for anything - but to see their Indiana DL to purchase a firearm if I sell them one.

Top Bottom