• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Am I missing something? The text of the bill doesn't seem to address the legality of canned hunts, only establish a fee for hunting under those conditions.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    Target practice with a live target, there is no sport in this. Only point is ego trip for money bags, despicable.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Which STATE has NO CWD on its border.......:dunno:

Unless I'm missing something, deer don't recognize state borders, but they do recognize range. There's a whole lot of range between the Colorado and New Mexico infected areas, and I bet if that map also limited private herd CWD cases to their specific range rather than the entire state, you'd find even more distance between the affected areas. This map doesn't match the way a direct contact transmission disease spreads out.

Interesting to note also that per the links you provided, CWD was first found in government breeding pens. Yeah, let's blame the private hunting industry for it. :rolleyes:

In the end they're going to find out, if they don't already know, that CWD was always in some deer herds and it's distribution is going to have resulted from the deer repopulating programs of the early part of the 20th century. However, in the meantime there are going to be opportunists who use it to try and get a little more control over private property.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Target practice with a live target, there is no sport in this. Only point is ego trip for money bags, despicable.

Paint with a broad brush much? Once again, we have 'canned hunt' being thrown around without being defined. What is it? Shooting deer in a stall in the barn? A fenced pen with a little room for movement? One acre? Five acres? Five thousand acres (i.e., plenty of room for movement without the confinement affecting the hunt in a meaningful way)?

In case you haven't noticed, much government mayhem comes from people who push what they consider a worthy cause without bothering to define it followed by extremely broad and sweeping regulations because of do-gooders who are too damned stupid to bother defining their cause or to see that it is defined in the legislation that presumably rectifies the 'problem'. In case you haven't noticed, bureaucrats are notorious for taking laws passed for a specific purpose and enforcing and expanding them at the broadest and most inclusive level that can be twisted from the law. What we are seeing advocated with the 'canned hunt' issue could potentially outlaw hunting anywhere there is a fence of any description. Given that most farms have a fence of some type about the perimeter, such a law could become a de facto ban on hunting.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    You can keep your friggin AR's and CWD.
    bloomberg-2-articleLarge.jpg

Adrian8

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    I think because deer and elk, our 'trophy' species are involved in the 'canned hunt' issue it generates the most interest and negativity. but... The same thing is going on when the State of Indiana releases pen raised pheasants on State owned property and charges hunters to shoot them. Many private game farms do the same as they charge to hunt the pen raised quail, chukars, and pheasants. It is just a business, if someone is not interested in participating ..don't... but beware of getting the govt involved in outlawing anything to do with hunting.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    I'm not aware of any released game bird diseases, are you? Can the birds not fly away way beyond where the hunters are hunting? IOW - no pen to keep them in a specific spot.

Sorry, I am very hard pressed to call deer shooting behind a fence as "hunting".

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Nope.... I think it is more big antler ego driven...

As a hunter with no land of my own that has to beg, rent, and borrow hunting space I can see where someone may choose to hunt this way.

MY guess is the guys who are so adamantly against this have their own space to hunt on so they don't care if guys without lots of acreage can find a place to hunt where they can be reasonably assured to see deer. MY guess is that they may even have personal issues with the owners of the preserves and they have decided to attack them through the hand of govt regulation.

What I can't understand is why people think that increasing govt regulation is a good idea for anything?!?!? Probably the same hunters who want to ban ARs and 30rnd mags.

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    I'm not aware of any released game bird diseases, are you? Can the birds not fly away way beyond where the hunters are hunting? IOW - no pen to keep them in a specific spot.

Sorry, I am very hard pressed to call deer shooting behind a fence as "hunting".

EXACTLY....

Anyways, I came across this video and wanted to post it to see what everyone thought. I'm sure we'll get a wide range of discussion points. The video is about 12 minutes long, but well worth it and opens your eyes to a whole different perspective and where hunting is going....or has "GONE"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbcZQ52lAs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpbcZQ52lAs[/ame]

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    As a hunter with no land of my own that has to beg, rent, and borrow hunting space I can see where someone may choose to hunt this way.

MY guess is the guys who are so adamantly against this have their own space to hunt on so they don't care if guys without lots of acreage can find a place to hunt where they can be reasonably assured to see deer. MY guess is that they may even have personal issues with the owners of the preserves and they have decided to attack them through the hand of govt regulation.

What I can't understand is why people think that increasing govt regulation is a good idea for anything?!?!? Probably the same hunters who want to ban ARs and 30rnd mags.

Pooeyy.. I've got 40 acres that a non-resident landowner lets me hunt knowing I will take care of the place for him in his absence. I can also hunt thousands of acres of public ground. There is land out there available to hunt. IIRC the last DNR landowner survey the majority of landowners said that they have NEVER been asked for hunting permission.

You can keep the anti "AR and 30 round magazine" straw man to yourself. That won't work here...

No anything should not go on private property when there is so much at stake.
    How about slapping up an upwind hog farm or chicken brooder house next to your home?

Top Bottom