• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    This is exactly why the appeal will go through. The republicans cannot see that it's a losing battle. They'll go down with their ship, rather than save the taxpayers millions on fighting it. They want the hardcore evangelical vote. It's their base and they're lost without them.

Governor Pence should take a page from Pennsylvania's Governor Corbett and decide not to waste state resources on this fight. I am sure that Greg Zoeller is just doing what he thinks his boss wants him to do. Indiana's GOP has badly misread the mood of the votes on marriage equality issues. They don't necessarily want it, but they realize that continuing the fight is waste of time and energy. They also didn't see the point of a constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriage when there already was such a law on the books.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Marriage is not a matter for the state to be involved in. Instead of fighting to get the state out of such matters, the people invite the the state further into it and cheer when the state accepts the invitation to expand its reach.

I can't say I am surprised though. Many are easily duped.

More bread and circuses, serfs!

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Marriage is not a matter for the state to be involved in. Instead of fighting to get the state out of such matters, the people invite the the state further into it and cheer when the state accepts the invitation to expand its reach.

I can't say I am surprised though. Many are easily duped.

More bread and circuses, serfs!

The government should get out of marriage, but until that day comes (and it will be no time in the immediate future), we have a responsibility to see that people are treated equally before the law.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    The government should get out of marriage, but until that day comes (and it will be no time in the immediate future), we have a responsibility to see that people are treated equally before the law.

So let's expand bad law with more bad law as long as the expanded state treats everyone equally under its bad law instead of limiting the state.

That doesn't sound like a formula for a small state and expansive individual liberty.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    So let's expand bad law with more bad law as long as the expanded state treats everyone equally under its bad law instead of limiting the state.

That doesn't sound like a formula for a small state and expansive individual liberty.
    It insures that the Rights of a current minority in the nation are respected before the law. Your version is a cop out, as it now stands. It would deny Rights to the minority, rather than recognise them. If you want to fight the battle of getting the government out of marriage, that's fine. Right with you. But, till that day comes we have to see that peoples Rights are upheld and not squashed. Government will get no bigger, in reality, through this. It's simply adding the minority Rights to equation where they belonged in the first place.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Government will get no bigger, in reality, through this.

Not so.

Every federal and state "benefit" / "entitlement" program linked to marriage just got bigger.

An expansive state and bad law is not cured with more state and more bad law. No doubt you may disagree.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Agree 100%. If a church wants to marry you, go for it. If a church doesn't want to marry you, good for them, find another church.

Exactly.

Nonetheless, I wonder how long it will be before state involves itself in action against a religious organization or a minister/rabbi/ priest/ etc that refuses to marry a couple based on religious beliefs...like a baker of cakes.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I do disagree that it is going to make government noticeably bigger. My local clerks office is issuing licenses and nothing grew. The so-called "entitlements" will not grow, they will just have people added to list to whom they apply. Is spousal Rights a government growing thing? I think not. Parental Rights and adoption? Inheritance? Nope. There will be nothing noticeable to come of this.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I do disagree that it is going to make government noticeably bigger. My local clerks office is issuing licenses and nothing grew. The so-called "entitlements" will not grow, they will just have people added to list to whom they apply. Is spousal Rights a government growing thing? I think not. Parental Rights and adoption? Inheritance? Nope. There will be nothing noticeable to come of this.

Also notice how there was no mandate whatsoever to force any churches/religious organizations to perform said marriages. Government shrunk a little today.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome

Within 15 minutes, it has gone from government will get no bigger to government will not get noticeably bigger. I wonder how much no bigger it will be in a few years.

Further, more law is the remedy for bad law...and more state is the remedy for too much state.

Hey, you're not running for political office are you? :):

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    But but but......GAY!!!!!!!!!!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Within 15 minutes, it has gone from government will get no bigger to government will not get noticeably bigger. I wonder how much no bigger it will be in a few years.

Further, more law is the remedy for bad law...and more state is the remedy for too much state.

Hey, you're not running for political office are you? :):

The government will NEVER get out of the marriage business, it will never happen. We say it should or similar but there is nothing that indicates they ever will. With that in mind, waiting for the government to, "get out of the marriage business" before you support marriage equality is the same as NEVER supporting marriage equality. Since the state is involved in marriage then it MUST do so equally, even if that expands the State slightly. It's all or nothing...and nothing isn't going to happen.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Also notice how there was no mandate whatsoever to force any churches/religious organizations to perform said marriages. Government shrunk a little today.
    We have not seen that in any state in the nation, so far, and we are unlikely to. Churches have always had the say on whom they will and will not marry. That has not changed and is highly unlikely to change. All the marriages so far are being performed by the clerks or friendly clergy, I would guess. The unitarians are likely to see some quick calls at their churches.

Top Bottom