• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    At around 1:40 a.m. this morning I was confronted with LOVEMACHINE's scenerio re: sounds outside.

My wife and I are night owls. It's not uncommon for us to be awake until sometimes 2-3 in the morning. We enjoy the quiet time and are usually reading...her a book, me likely the 'net (read INGO)

We were just talking about a new to us home we're looking to buy when all of a sudden the car alarm on our Jeep goes off. I will say we live in a rural area. Our nearest neighbor lives about 250 yards away. Our next nearest neighbor is about a quarter mile away, and both are elderly and go to bed a bit earlier than we do.

First thing I did was to go to the nearest window facing our driveway and yes indeed the horn was honking, lights flashing etc. I might add here that we have a security light (100 watt metal halide) mounted on a utility pole right beside and a few feet in front of the Jeep. The area is WELL lit.

Next step was to grab my 9mm S & W and a flashlight at the same time telling my wife to call 911 which she did. I watched carefully from inside our home checking out of each window to see if I could spot anyone. After we "turn in" we keep our lights throughout the house off with the exception of perhaps a reading light or low watt task light, and I left the lights off so as to minimize any chances of being seen as I checked the windows. I observed no visible threat so I did not use the flashlight to try to see anything outside (didn't want to give away my location in the event the BG was still lurking around and watching). Did not even turn on outside porch lights.

Being that there was no visible threat and that the car alarm was still blasting in the Jeep I just kept vigilant (as did my wife) until the county deputy arrived...which was less than three minutes after the call...great response time! I remained in the house until such time as the deputy had checked the Jeep and the area around it and approached our front door. I placed my 9mm on the kitchen table and met the officer at the front door. At that time a second deputy arrived. I went outside with the first deputy and learned that indeed someone had grabbed the drivers side door handle of the Jeep thus setting off the alarm. This was quite visible as the dew had just settled and you could see the finger and hand marks on the door and door handle.

Both deputies thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly, checked our property...garage, house, barns, etc. and didn't find any further evidence of an intruder. The grass was also covered in dew and it was very evident where the deputies had walked. We saw no other tracks and kinda came to the conclusion that the BG(s) accessed the Jeep via the asphalt driveway. The grass around the drivers door did show signs of at least one person having been there.

Both deputies told me that there are three teens living "up" the road from us that had been getting into "mischief" lately (no parental supervision) by stealing a pickup and joy riding around the county. All three are not yet old enough to to have a beginners permit...one is only fourteen.

Both deputies then left saying they were going further up the road to the vicinity of where the teens lived and would be driving by our home a couple of more times through the night, and that the trio was probably quite scared after the alarm went off...I'd bet they were. No further incidents the rest of the night, and I slept in until 9:00 a.m. which is very unusual for me. I'm normally up at 6:30 - 7:00.

Take aways from this incident:

1. Asses the situation, with no immediate threat stay inside - call 911 immediately and take a defensive posture.

2. Don't light up the area - if there is someone lurking around outside it will most likely send them into hiding and if you go outside you could very well become the target. Preserve the environmment inside and out.

3. Let the cops do the work they are trained to do. DON'T go outside to meet them! This will only distract them and put both of you in a compromised position...besides if you appear coming from the house the cop may draw on you...not a good thing. Once the officer approaches your door DON'T greet him with anything in your hands.

4. Go outside only if you are told it's ok to do so...leave any weapons inside. Inform them of any potential hiding spots that they may not be aware of...let them check them out.

5. Give a full detailed account of the incident (where you were when the incident occured, what you observed, etc) when they ask for it...again don't distract them with a bunch of running off at the mouth. When they're confident with securing the area they will ask.

6. Don't be a rambo or a mall ninja. They don't care about hearing how you grabbed your grenade launcher and was prepared to break out your 'heavy artillary' and turn the BG's into ground meat. Be as calm as possible and convey you calmness via your interactions with them.

7. Once the incident is over be sure to thank them. I know this sounds very basic, but they need to know that you appreciated thier response. After all, they never know if what they are running into will turn bad.

One last personal observation:

After all was over and secured this morning I couldn't help but consider what would have happened if one of these teenagers (and that's precisely most likely who they were) had approached the house. I'm absolutely certian that had someone tried to get into our house I would have defended, and may have even shot someone. I could have seriously wounded of killed someone...possibly even a 'neighbors' underage teen child. Now that would be tough to deal with. Mind you I'm not going to ask the age of anyone coming through a door or window, but to discover an underage teen lying dead or bleeding out on your carpet as a result of you defending (very rightfully mind you) yourself would be a very hard thing to live with.

Keep vigilant and safe, and if you're ever confronted with a similar or worse incident than this keep calm, observant, defensive and most of all clear minded...if you can.

Last edited:

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I had a problem like that, until I bought some thin plywood & drove some 2 inch nails. One day i went to check on my car (which had been damage by some butt-wipe) & notice there was some blood on my drive-way, never had problems after that again:D

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    Wow that's some really crazy stuff! I'd say you handled the situation safely and well. It's a good thing you called the police and surprisingly they showed up so fast! It's great to hear your family and belongings are safe. +1 for the good guys

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I was kinda shocked that you called 911 for just a car alarm going off, without actually seeing anything. But it appears that you were justified in doing so. Good work with the situation all around.

As to your "what if" at the end. It would be best to just carry around the house(as you should everywhere you go), so the gun is always with you. Home invasions happen FAST. I carry a small pocket flashlight as well, comes in handy quite often.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Great post. I have had 2 different really nice bows stolen out of my garages. One in the Fishers burbs and one in our farm house close to Lafayette- both during bow season so I noticed it the next morning. I never had the warning of an alarm so I appreciate your detailed story and calmness. Thanks again.

side note - I so have to get out of the burbs....

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Great thread and I'm happy that your property wasn't damaged. I'm sure those mischievous teens didn't mean any harm. They were only going to steal your truck and take it for a little spin.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I was kinda shocked that you called 911 for just a car alarm going off, without actually seeing anything. But it appears that you were justified in doing so. Good work with the situation all around.

As to your "what if" at the end. It would be best to just carry around the house(as you should everywhere you go), so the gun is always with you. Home invasions happen FAST. I carry a small pocket flashlight as well, comes in handy quite often.

I've had multiple cops tell me they would much rather have an opportunity to get involved in a situation early rather than late.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    One last personal observation:

After all was over and secured this morning I couldn't help but consider what would have happened if one of these teenagers (and that's precisely most likely who they were) had approached the house. I'm absolutely certian that had someone tried to get into our house I would have defended, and may have even shot someone. I could have seriously wounded of killed someone...possibly even a 'neighbors' underage teen child. Now that would be tough to deal with. Mind you I'm not going to ask the age of anyone coming through a door or window, but to discover an underage teen lying dead or bleeding out on your carpet as a result of you defending (very rightfully mind you) yourself would be a very hard thing to live with.

I'm like you in this regard, and that's why I eventually want to learn to treat gunshot wounds (at least well enough until a real medic arrives). It's better to have done everything you can to save the bad guy's life after you've neutralized the threat, than to risk having a death on your conscience. In fact, an acquaintance of mine had to do exactly just that after a defending himself against an attacker. Fortunately the attacker survived. No guns were involved, but that doesn't mean it wasn't any less serious.

Other than your conscience, there may also be legal consequences. The bad guy might turn around, lie about the situation, and try to press charges. "We were lost in the middle of the night, and I went to ask for directions. This man invited me in, but then he shot me." Everyone has to weigh the risks against their conscience.

Sorry about your bad experience, though I'm glad that no one was hurt, and no property lost/destroyed. Let's hope the kids stay away. Stay safe and vigilant!

Da Bing

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I am glad nothing else happened, hopefully the jerk kids learned from it. Its ashamed because in the day the parents would have found out and that is ALL it would have took, no so today.

Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    One personal quibble, and this is only my opinion, but if you were properly clothed (pants, belt, etc.) I wouldn't worry about setting my sidearm down on the kitchen table. I'd be putting it back in it's holster on my belt. Same goes for "going outside after they've cleared the area" without a sidearm. They should have no issue with you being prepared to defend your home and showing it.

However, in your described situation, you probably weren't wearing or didn't slip on your jeans and belt to strap up properly. Walking around in your sleepwear probably doesn't lend itself to properly strapping up so no, carrying around your sidearm in hand is probably not a good idea.

+1 to you and I hope those teens get themselves squared away before they live (or regretfully not) to learn from their mistakes.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    One personal quibble, and this is only my opinion, but if you were properly clothed (pants, belt, etc.) I wouldn't worry about setting my sidearm down on the kitchen table. I'd be putting it back in it's holster on my belt. Same goes for "going outside after they've cleared the area" without a sidearm. They should have no issue with you being prepared to defend your home and showing it.

However, in your described situation, you probably weren't wearing or didn't slip on your jeans and belt to strap up properly. Walking around in your sleepwear probably doesn't lend itself to properly strapping up so no, carrying around your sidearm in hand is probably not a good idea.

+1 to you and I hope those teens get themselves squared away before they live (or regretfully not) to learn from their mistakes.

That was the case. I wasn't "dressed" for the situation and really didn't have time to throw on much more than a tee shirt (I need an INGO tee shirt desparately now!) and a pair of slippers, and that wasn't until after the first deputy arrived. I really didn't even think about what I was wearing (or lack of it) while this was going on. I was too busy focused on the possible threat.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville

Agree with wearing your weapon. There was very little chance of this happening but "what if..." the two LEOs had been ambushed and put out of action and you're just standing there with your smile and jammies?

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    Agree with wearing your weapon. There was very little chance of this happening but "what if..." the two LEOs had been ambushed and put out of action and you're just standing there with your smile and jammies?

I don't know...call me reckless but I don't normally "pack a gat" while in my home...especially at that time of day. I will say while in my house I'm never more then 20 feet away from a firearm, and I do move fairly fast.

As to your "what if" question. Well, I likely would have filled my jammies and opened fire. Not sure in which order that would have happened, and you would have heard about this on the news instead of the INGO forum.

The headlines would have read something like this "Man in 'stinky' jammies fatally shot after trying to defend ambushed deputies and his home...takes three teens with him"

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    "...leave any weapons inside."

That's what I was going to say, I won't be leaving my handgun inside with a potential bad guy out there. The officers were there, but that does not make you bullet proof.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    I don't know...call me reckless but I don't normally "pack a gat" while in my home...

I don't know what that is supposed to mean, but if you don't carry while in your home, you should. Read up about home invasions.

I don't know how others feel, but please don't bring those terms like "pack a gat" here.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    I don't know what that is supposed to mean, but if you don't carry while in your home, you should. Read up about home invasions.

I don't know how others feel, but please don't bring those terms like "pack a gat" here.
    He was speaking EBONICS:D When you live in the inner-city you'll learn how to speak it;)

dr632

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2010
    Brown County
    Thank you for sharing so we all can learn from your experience. Very nicely summarized and quite helpful.

I compliment you on your decisions to stay in the house and not have a firearm in your hand(s) when LE arrived (whether in the holster or laying on table, just not in your hands).

Only other thought that came to mind after reading the posts ... if you have not already considered ... adding sensors around your home and likely approaches to your house to provide even more advance notice of an issue requiring close attention. For example something like a Dakota Alert system -- Dakota Alert, Wireless Alarms and Security -- with motion detectors (IR &/or magnetic). Not fool proof, but if located properly with your property layout, you might find you could increase the amount of response time. Whether it was the local scrotes down the street or someone else, probability says there might be other visitors in the future. And I wouldn't assume this was the first visit either, it could be only the first time they were noticed?

Also, at times like this a nice big, faithful puppy dog would earn their keep. Although I think my Lab has learned to depend too heavily on the Dakota Alert chime.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I had a problem like that, until I bought some thin plywood & drove some 2 inch nails. One day i went to check on my car (which had been damage by some butt-wipe) & notice there was some blood on my drive-way, never had problems after that again:D

Eons ago I had a buddy who got his underdash eight track stolen. When he installed another he placed double edged razor blades along the edges between the deck and the mount. Nobody ever stole it. In fact, nobody ever tried. It died on him and he had to take it out himself. Suddenly the razor blades became a lot less clever idea than they had been at first. Life can be a funny thing, in a not particularly ha-ha funny way.

GunSlinger, thanks for posting. It's always nice to learn from others, rather having to figure it out the hard way, at the time.

Top Bottom