• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    Ok so here is the thing... I am wanting to buy a new Smith and Wesson. I want to use it for daily carry. I am 6ft 210lbs. I have been wanting to purchase the M&P9c but am now considering saving for a S&W 1911 gunsite edition. I eventually want to get into IDPA this summer. Would the 1911 gunsite serve as a IDPA and Carry gun or should I get the M&P9c and then just get a full size 1911 in another 2 months or so? Any advice would be helpfull considering I would be new to IDPA and don't know a hole lot about it equipment wise.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Plenty of people CC full size 1911s. I'm 6' 1" and 205 and have no trouble concealing my G19, and have carried my fullsize 1911 around the house and was comfortable. I'd just get the 1911 now, and if you have trouble concealing it, buy a CC gun later.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    Also, I know that when I was looking into doing IDPA this summer, I was going to run what I carried in order to work on the skills with that gun. Practice as you fight and such.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Also, I know that when I was looking into doing IDPA this summer, I was going to run what I carried in order to work on the skills with that gun. Practice as you fight and such.

+100. This is the main reason to shoot IDPA in my opinion. It was the largest increase in both my skills and confidence handling a pistol. It will also make or break you carry gear by showing you what works and doesn't.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Your dilemma is a crossroad that many of us come to.

Personally, for me, I'd rather have a high-capacity 9mm than a single-stack .45 for carrying daily.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    If you are going to go fullsize, I'd consider the full size M&P9. I've had mine for nearly a year now and it's great. ZERO problems and it is relatively easy to discreetly open carry it with the right holster. I had a custom made holster from Kirkpatrick Leather made and even though it's not concealed, barely anyone notices it. Plus the mags hold 17 rounds!

mtk469

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I carry a GLock 19 about 80% of the time and a 3" 1911 the rest of the time. I am 6' 200lbs and I have carry a commander and a full size 1911 but I just feel the 3" is better concealable for me with my normal clothing.
    Both will work fine as long you compitent and confindent with whatever you choose.
    My $.02
    Matt

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    Thanks for the info guys. I own the full size M&P in 9mm. The main reason I want smaller is because when I carry around some of my friends and they notice, they want to make immature comments around me when I am. So for me smaller and less noticeable the better.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I carry my CZ-75 and its as big and heavy as a 1911. It carries great in just a 30$ don hum holster. (planning on finding a canted holster). But if you want small and accurate you cant go wrong with the M&Pc. I have the compact in 9mm and can carry it wearing basketball shorts. It will carry no mater what you wear.

Its a win / win just pick one you cant go wrong!

msmith103

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 17, 2008
    Hendricks County
    I ended up going with the M&Pc in 9mm. I had been looking at it for ever and finally went and got it yesterday. I probably wont get to shoot it until next weekend though. Got class and work all week.....

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I am 6'0", 180lbs, size 32 waist and a full size 1911 disappears on me. I prefer to carry a Glock 19 for the lighter weight and higher capacity, and I shoot a Glock 34 for USPSA and steel so it's what I'm most used to.

Ashkelon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    changes by the minute
    I am 6'0", 180lbs, size 32 waist and a full size 1911 disappears on me. I prefer to carry a Glock 19 for the lighter weight and higher capacity, and I shoot a Glock 34 for USPSA and steel so it's what I'm most used to.

What holster do you carry it in? Ummm. I am 6'1 and was able to maintain a 32 inch waist --10 years ago-- and when i carried a 1911 it looked and felt as if I was carrying around a bazooka. The only way to conceal it was to dress like a slob. I would have chicks ask me is that a pistol in your pocket or are you happy to see me....:):

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    What holster do you carry it in?

Milt Sparks Summer Special II. I can hide it just fine if I wear a large T-shirt, but I prefer to wear size medium button-down shirts with the tail out. My shoulders and upper body are slightly larger/wider than average given my waist size so my shirts drape over my waist. I find the Glock 19 no easier to conceal than a full size 1911. It's slightly smaller, but it is thicker.

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    IDPA

Is the M&P 9 C a compensated pistol ?
    If so it is not legal for IDPA use , they dont allow comped pistols in competition

Top Bottom