• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Ever since my wife have been together, we have had a severe weather kit prepared and we keep it in our basement in a little extension in our basement wall that held the old well pump and tank, it's all underground and concrete on five sides measuring 6' long 4' wide and 6' high.

We set everything in a plastic storage tub with a bright red lid on it. We keep enough basic supplies to live in the cubby hole for a few days.

It's all in the trash can now.

We failed in one thing, we had a gallon of water in it... and a loose can opener... My wife went down to add something to it and found 3 inches of water in the bottom. I opened it to find the contents soaked and covered in black mold.

I remember, the last time I moved it, I set it down kinda rough as it was heavy and I was leaning over old the well pump that is still there. The can opener looks to have slit the jug and the water got out and the contents festered all winter.

We lost...

12 assorted MRE entrees
    4 MRE desserts
    4 MRE heaters
    12 PowerBars
    6 cans of tuna
    12 cans of cat food
    2 rolls of TP
    16 AA batteries
    2 rolls of gauze
    1 "2 day" First Aid kit
    1 bottle Hydrogen Peroxide
    1 bottle rubbing alcohol
    1 bag women's products
    1 bag of mens products
    1 bag of waterless body wipes
    1 can opener
    1 lighter
    1 handheld radio
    1 handheld TV case (TV was safe unstairs)
    1 flashlight
    1 Fox40 Whistle
    50 9mm bullets
    50 Now irreplaceable .22 bullets
    some other stuff I can't remember.... and a gallon of water.

We're leaving for Meijer to replace it all before tonights storms... all water will for sure be OUTSIDE the box this time.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Why was it all trashed? Could the items in cans and plastic not be salvaged?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Been there done that.

I had pretty much the same thing happen to me a year or so ago. The funny thing was, I had a box of black tea which got totally soaked when the water broke. I basically had a tub of soggy preps soaking in iced tea. Not moldy though.

I salvaged a lot of it, but now I keep water separated from the food and other items.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Speaking of tea and leaking gallon jugs; Luzianne Tea sells prepared tea in clear gallon bottles that clean and sanitize well. The bottles also seem to be very strong, strong enough to use as freeze/thaw bottles for cooler use. I have used them as water storage bottles for years.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Done at Meijer... $212 :(

20150409_231344_zpsaxgcfbka.jpg

Our new Severe Weather Prep supplies...

Most can be purchased at Meijer or any big-box store for ~$250... except MRE's, electronics, and ammo were already on hand
    Same items can likely be found at a Dollar store for less.

1 105qt clear plastic storage container
    7 MRE entrees
    5 gallons factory bottled water
    6 1 liter sport type bottled water
    12 cans wet cat food (for our 3 cats)
    2 Stools
    1 Foam camping mat
    2 Pillows
    1 Comforter
    1 Handheld Digital TV
    1 Handheld S.A.M.E Weather Radio
    1 AM/FM AC/DC Radio
    1 Plastic ammo box with rubber gasket
    1 Box 100 CCI .22lr Mini-mags
    1 Box 50 Federal 9mm
    1 Pair leather gloves for moving debris
    1 Low power LED flashlight
    1 High power LED flashlight
    1 LED Headlamp
    16 Energizer AA batteries
    6 Energizer CR123A batteries
    1 cheap all stainless pocket knife
    2 ponchos
    1 travel size Tylenol
    1 bottle eye wash
    1 4" athletic wrap
    1 Trauma Pak
    1 pack gauze roll
    1 pack gauze pads
    1 assorted band-aids
    1 pump hand sanitizer
    5 dust masks
    2 bottles saline wound wash
    1 Two person "Large" first aid kit
    1 Whistle
    1 8x10 Tarp
    1 roll duct tape
    1 box lotion Kleenex
    1 bottle rubbing alcohol
    1 bottle hydrogen Peroxide
    2 bandage tape dispensers
    1 pack of Wisp "tooth brushes"
    1 pack wrapped Life-Savers candies
    1 battery powered motion activated LED light
    1 pack of 3 battery powered tap lights
    2 cell phone backup battery packs
    1 travel size female deodorant
    1 travel size Male deodorant
    1 pack feminine products
    3 types of wet wipes (Hand/Body, disinfecting, and feminine)
    4 rolls TP
    1 5 gallon bucket
    1 tub cat litter... for everyone... 2 or 4 legs

Will add $200 cash for a hotel room later.

Last edited:

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    After reading your thread, went to my gearbags, pulled everything out, freezer zip bagged every group of items, checked my couple cases of smaller one shot waters-ok. I also have used tubs, and will plastic seal each with x-heavy lawn n leaf bags-zipped tied and tagged with dates and laminated list for inside.

My ammo lives in GI cans, should freezer zip lock bag all that too. All is kept inhouse, so moisture and temp swing at minimum.

Food is kept in a pantry, all rotated and used before "sell by" dates, and replaced. (2 parents, 1-teenager at home).

Sorry for your loss, it is a learn issue for us.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    After reading your thread, went to my gearbags, pulled everything out, freezer zip bagged every group of items, checked my couple cases of smaller one shot waters-ok. I also have used tubs, and will plastic seal each with x-heavy lawn n leaf bags-zipped tied and tagged with dates and laminated list for inside.

My ammo lives in GI cans, should freezer zip lock bag all that too. All is kept inhouse, so moisture and temp swing at minimum.

Food is kept in a pantry, all rotated and used before "sell by" dates, and replaced. (2 parents, 1-teenager at home).

Sorry for your loss, it is a learn issue for us.

My new box has moist items (wet wipes, fluids ect) and must-stay-dry items (bandages, paper products, money) in separate gallon zip bags, and ammo and electronics in a sealed plastic ammo can.

I realized while repacking that a bottle of hydrogen peroxide or a damp pack of wipes could cause a similar problem.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    The gallon water jugs that look like milk containers will leak. I quit using them a long time ago after one leaked in a closet. This thread is a good reminder for everyone to use better water containers and protect things that need to stay dry.

Curious, why tuna and canned cat food? Why not just buy more tuna? Are the cats not willing to share with the humans in an emergency?

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    It was a gallon milk type jug. The Tuna was for people, it makes our cats sick. I added it because we bought too much one time and I thought it would be a good protein source... But really too much salt.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    1 Gallon jugs like milk containers, etc are made now so that they weaken and degrade over time. If you use these for long term storage, they WILL break down. Store liquids separate from dry materials.

In our case, we got some of those 5 gal containers from walmart. Coleman 5-Gallon Water Carrier, Blue - Walmart.com

It is easy to store, stacks well, and has its own vent point and spigot. The lid is reversible and the spigot is on the inside during storage, keeping it clean and safe. It is long term storage so no breaking down of the plastic.

I currently have about 10 of these filled and stashed away. Plus, they are easier to transport than a 55 gal drum.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Another thing to keep in mind is that, when you seal dry stuff in waterproof ziplock bags, you not only seal water out, but you seal any moisture IN. Things may seem dry when you pack them, but there could be enough moisture to degrade things over a long period of time.

I keep meaning to get some desiccant packs somewhere online. I've read that they're much more reliable than the ones you get from the packing of things you buy.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom