• ...and so much more!
  • Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I've heard tales for years about folks buying this used battle-rifle, or got handed down Grandpa's old hunting rifle.
    I hear some find a little "treasure" in the form of a note, or some small object being squirreled away under the butt-stock plate.

Anyone here ever found anything under the stock cover plate? If so, what did you find?

Now tell me, how many of you are headed to the safe now to start removing butt-plates?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    That would be neat.
    I usually only find dirt and crud under buttplates on old rifles. :):
    I'm sure there are hidden treasures waiting to be found all over the place.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I've heard tales for years about folks buying this used battle-rifle, or got handed down Grandpa's old hunting rifle.
    I hear some find a little "treasure" in the form of a note, or some small object being squirreled away under the butt-stock plate.
    I know the History and Lineage of the ones that are Hand me Downs though...
    Does that count?!!

Anyone here ever found anything under the stock cover plate?
    Nope....

If so, what did you find?
    Nothing...

Now tell me, how many of you are headed to the safe now to start removing butt-plates?
    But, that means I would have to get out of my Lazy-Boy and put the Laptop down.... :D

tsbolton

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 4, 2009
    DANVILLE
    Be nice

Have heard same stories have never been that lucky myself.I always break down clean and inspect new guns that I am lucky enough to acquire. Good Luck and Merry Christmas

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I've got a couple of Swiss K31s with a name tag under the butt (common), a Mosin ammo pouch with what looks like a newspaper clipping that some writing added, and had a Yugo Mauser ammo pouch with some matches and about half a pack of smokes.

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    I purchased a Colt pre Woodsman at a pawn shop and when i removed the grips there was a piece of paper with a person's name and the name of a town in Ohio. I researched the guy and discovered he was a doctor in the town during the late 20's. The gun was make in 1921.

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I've never found anything, have added notes with name and address to heirloom guns just in case they get stolen and end up in the hands of a good citizen somewhere down the line =)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    I once bought an old Egyptian surplus FN-49, they were supposed to be in "dropped once, never fired condition" when I took off the butt plate, sand fell out....I thought is was funny....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No thanks. I've had Yugo smokes, and they're rough even when fresh, let alone 40+ years old.:eek:

I had the opportunity to try Turkish cigarettes once. That's all it took was once!

Just because an "opportunity" arises, it's not always the best idea to indulge yourself. ;)

mr_camera_man

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Lake co.
    It was apparently a common practice with the Swiss to put name tags under the buttplate with names and unit info.

A few years ago when Swiss K31s were all over the market, there were lots of people on AR15.com who researched the tags and sent letters to those who were originally issued the rifles. There were several instances of family members writing back, and at least one instance of the soldier himself writing back.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Found.

Old Model 11 Remington-pulled the butt plate+found a Hi-Brass Remington 2 3/4" 00 Buck load. Paper shell with GREEN brass...It went in the oil bucket..HA HA..Bill.

Top Bottom