• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    as if a big piece of crap couldn't get any bigger or stink even worse then Illinois proves me wrong. Abolishing the death penalty... I guess if you cant fix the system and make sure the court is correct just abolish death penalty instead. At least innocent people won't be put to death, we'll just let guilty murdering pieces of crap live on the system for ever in prison... yeah what a great way to solve the problem Pat Quinn. Glad I moved out of that state long time ago...:twocents:

fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    same here i left 10 years ago i`m still trying my brother to get out chicago rules that state and it`s spawn is in charge of this great country and ruining it grrrr

semper fi :patriot: :ar15:

vz. 61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    At least innocent people won't be put to death, we'll just let guilty murdering pieces of crap live on the system for ever in prison...

I'd rather 100 men guilty of murder move to my neighborhood than one innocent be put to death by the state.:dunno:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'd rather 100 men guilty of murder move to my neighborhood than one innocent be put to death by the state.:dunno:

I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood! And what about the 100, or more, innocent people those convicts have murdered? People always pity the criminals and forget about those they've slaughtered and the families they have destroyed.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Good for Illinois. They're actually doing something right for a change. It costs much more to execute someone than it does to just incarcerate them till they expire from old age. Give them time to think on why they're there. Too many innocent people have been imprisoned, (some even on death row) over the years that we can't afford to use this penalty anymore. Sometimes when they say they're innocent, they are, as we've been seeing with recent exonerations around the country.

vz. 61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Jury errors cannot be rectified after the death of an innocent man.

I have absolutely no problem with capital punishment from a moral standpoint, but there is certainly too much risk of error involved from a legal one.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    Anti-freedom for the innocent people the state will inevitably put to death.

But there are more innocent people put to death without any trial (e.g., victims of pre-meditated murder, aggravated assault & battery, serial killers) than any innocent put to death accidentally. There are innocent people sitting in jail, rotting for a life-sentence. Isn't that anti-freedom too?

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I might be in the minority here, but I do not support the death penalty except in extreme circumstances. The purpose of the prison system SHOULD BE to protect society from those who can not live in it properly. this can be accomplished by merely secluding them (prison) or by allowing them to live in society with periodic check-ins (Probation/parole). If they show that they can not be rehabilitated, they stay in prison or go back to prison.

the death penalty is not justice, it is revenge.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    But there are more innocent people put to death without any trial (e.g., victims of pre-meditated murder, aggravated assault & battery, serial killers) than any innocent put to death accidentally. There are innocent people sitting in jail, rotting for a life-sentence. Isn't that anti-freedom too?

If the state takes your freedom through a mistake, the wrong may still be corrected. You can be released. If the state takes your life by mistake, it can never be corrected.

People who commit murder certainly deserve to die themselves. Knowing the state is not infallible, it's better to lock them up rather than kill them. Sure, the guilty ones get a better deal than their victims, but that is a better alternative than killing an innocent percent.

bassplayrguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    What gives the warden or doctor the right to kill in cold blood the guy/girl who killed in cold blood?? Oh, because the court said so? Hypocracy to me. Let the guilty play with lions to earn their life sentences or something. Killing in cold blood for killing in cold blood to me is wrong.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    dross -

This is an interesting juxtaposition to the thread about the father whose child was killed and 20 something years later the killer is released. And many of the same people were saying that they would take justice into their own hands. How is that different than the state doing it?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    dross -

This is an interesting juxtaposition to the thread about the father whose child was killed and 20 something years later the killer is released. And many of the same people were saying that they would take justice into their own hands. How is that different than the state doing it?

Much different situation. The state should never condone someone taking such an action. If there was a way to be certain that no innocent person should be put to death, I would be pro death penalty for certain crimes. If that father killed a guy who turned out to be innocent, I wouldn't give him a pass.

To take someone's life in retribution you must be absolutely sure. That's why you can't formalize that level of retribution. There's no way to be absolutely sure 100% of the time.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    By not convicting them of SOME form of murder (in the case of question in the other thread), would that not be a case of the state semi-condoning it? Sounds like a fairly fine line. I don't necessarily disagree with you - I don't know what I would do as a father. I do know that I'm not big on the jury process being perfectly reliable. I'm all for a person killing someone in self defense. I'm a little more worried by retribution. If the state can make a mistake, so can an individual. For every person exonerated by DNA, for example, there's a victim or family of a victim that often believes in their heart that the person is still guilty as all get out. Retribution in such a case????

Just thinking this through out loud....

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A government that can't balance a budget nor keep roadways in tip-top shape may not be the best "entity" to determine whether or not someone lives or dies.

Let alone all the "abuse of power" threads that go on here (and every other gun board) that rail against the local police.

Got news fer ya...it's all "government". Wrought by fallible humans, carried out by fallible humans.

-J-

Top Bottom