• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    My students often ask me my point of view on the subject. And I always give them the option of the short answer or the long answer.

Short Answer: I am against the Death Penalty for many of the reasons already listed.
    Long Answer: In a justice system devoid of errors and biases, I am in full support of the death penalty. That said, I know that such a system will never exist.

Further: If I were a convict and my choices were a needle or a** rape and regular beatings for the remainder of my life. I'm takin' the needle. I think prison is a much worse punishment. I would want the person to suffer for years. Truthfully, if we're talking retribution, a needle is letting them off too easy!

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    One thing certain about the death penalty; a murderer who is executed will never murder again. He will never be able to kill a guard, he will never be paroled by liberals so he can enter society and kill again. Of course, the guilt must be positively proven. Anyone recall Richard Speck? He killed seven student nurses, ended up with life, and was enjoying it. At the time I knew a correction officer who said Speck traded sex for cigarettes.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    dross -

This is an interesting juxtaposition to the thread about the father whose child was killed and 20 something years later the killer is released. And many of the same people were saying that they would take justice into their own hands. How is that different than the state doing it?

That case is why I have mixed feelings on this issue. I'm uncomfortable with the state killing its own citizens, yet there are some people so sinister, their crimes so heinous and their guilt so certain that they should be killed to spare society and their victims friends and family any further contact with them. Someone who keeps a diary in which they describe consuming the flesh of the toddler that they butchered meets there criteria.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Again, there are many people who deserve to die for their crimes. Many of them deserve to die under torture. It's not about the guilty for me, it's about the innocent people who will surely die.

Look at Texas. They elect their Supreme Court Justices and many of their other judges. This means that the final hope of an innocent man rests with a politician. This creates an atmosphere where innocent people get executed.

It's just one power I don't trust the state with. And, contrary to popular understanding, it costs more to execute someone than it does to house them for life.

Top Bottom