Illegal to force someone to get a vaccine???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Does anyone know if it would be illegal for a school or hospital to force a non-employee to get a flu-vaccine?
    I am not an "anti-vaccine" person. I have had all my required shots as a child and what not. However, the dental school is requiring all students on rotations at the university hospitals to get flu shots. I have not received a flu shot since I was a kid and I have not gotten the flu since I was a kid either...I remember they made me feel like crap for a few days though.

Really this is more of a principal thing for me. I hate people telling me I have to put something in my body if I don't want it....Does anyone know of any legal ground that such an organization can force those who are not employees to be vaccinated for the flu?

gracious

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's a medical institution and they can require staff and students to get a flu vaccine, since they are in contact with patients. You can be dismissed if you fail to do as they wish. Just happened at a hospital here in Indiana. I didn't get a flu shot this year and am currently dealing with the flu. My wife got one and caught the flu anyway. It is not illegal for the school to do this. You'll just have to decide what's important to you. Choose well.

gklatv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    don't know about the legal aspect, but you likely need to comply if you choose to continue your rotation there. The hospital is not going to be accommodating, they usually are not flexible on the rules.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I work remotely for a hospital chain. I'm actually on-site at a hospital maybe 3-4 times a year. I received an e-mail from the CIO telling me I'd be suspended without pay if she didn't have proof of my flu shot by a specific date. Fortunately, I had had the shot a few weeks earlier when I was hospitalized. Like GKLATV said, they aren't going to be accommodating (or flexible) on this matter.

Jason91887

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2012
    Write a letter to the higher-ups. My mom and dad (Both nurses) were told by the hospital that they would have to get flu shots, and all it took was one long winded letter about how it was against their personal beliefs, and some supporting documentation about the dangers of flu shots and they gave them both a free pass. Or you could always tell them that you are allergic to eggs. The vaccine carrier has egg proteins in it, or something along those lines.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    It's a medical institution and they can require staff and students to get a flu vaccine, since they are in contact with patients. You can be dismissed if you fail to do as they wish. Just happened at a hospital here in Indiana. I didn't get a flu shot this year and am currently dealing with the flu. My wife got one and caught the flu anyway. It is not illegal for the school to do this. You'll just have to decide what's important to you. Choose well.

They aren't dismissing anyone for not getting them, they just threatened to not give us credit for our time spent in the rotation and make us do it again...doesn't make any damn sense.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Is it a state school in Indiana? See Indiana Code 21-40-5

A state school must exempt a student who follows these exemption requirements. If it is not a state school, I would try other alternatives such as what was suggested above, writing letters and/or directly meeting with the dean.

I helped my sister dealt with this at Purdue - a state school that is legally bound to honor exemptions. The PNC Nursing Department told all their nursing students that they will receive flu shots, no exemptions, or face penalties within their program. I helped my sister through this with a half-dozen certified letters to professors and deans, followed by a very tense and uncomfortable meeting with the staff. I've never seen such close-minded people in my life. They had no choice but to back down. After my sister had instant seizures from a vaccine there is no way in hell she will ever touch another shot again. Least of all for a miniscule chance of avoiding the damned flu.

Chapter 5. Immunization Requirements at State Educational Institutions

IC 21-40-5-4 Exemption from immunization
    Sec. 4. An exemption relieving a student from the requirements of section 3 of this chapter may be accepted by the state educational institution as part of the documentation of exemption for the following reasons:
    (1) If a health care provider makes a written statement indicating the nature and probable duration of a medical condition or circumstances that contraindicate an immunization, identifying the specific vaccine that could be detrimental to the student's health.
    (2) If pregnancy or suspected pregnancy is certified in a written statement from a health care provider.
    (3) If a health care provider provides written documentation that the student is in the course of completing an approved schedule of all necessary doses of the vaccines required for the diseases listed in section 2 of this chapter.
    If the student's medical condition or circumstances subsequently permit immunization, the exemptions granted by this section terminate and the student shall obtain the immunizations from which the student has been exempted.

IC 21-40-5-6 Religious objections
    Sec. 6. (a) Except as otherwise provided, a student may not be required to undergo testing, examination, immunization, or treatment required under this chapter when the student objects on religious grounds.
    (b) A religious objection does not exempt a student from testing, examination, immunization, or treatment required under this chapter unless the request for an exemption is:
    (1) made in writing;
    (2) signed by the student; and
    (3) delivered to the individual who might order a test, an examination, an immunization, or a treatment absent the religious objection.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Get the flu mist if you don't want a shot. Or, arrange a similar rotation at a facility that doesn't have the requirement. I would doubt the school would be forced to accommodate your situation.

Did you accept a PPD test? It's rather similar...

Rambone, this requirement isn't to prevent your sister from getting the flu, it's to prevent her from giving it to her patients. I saw my second flu positive patient who will probably die from it yesterday. And that's in the last 10 days since I've been seeing influenza. It really is a deadly disease that can often be prevented.

If you do not get vaccinated, are you willing to wear a properly fitted facemask to block the spread of droplets while in their facilities?

Last edited:

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I win...sorta...I traded my rotation with a student that had it later in the semester which falls out of the dates that we are required to have the vaccine (at least to my understanding).

Top Bottom