• ...and so much more!
  • DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    Just bought one of the bigger ones and the smaller 3 day pack that goes with it.

Whoa. The bigger one is a MONSTER.

Just loading up the smaller one for a get home bag. I'll post pix as I go.

Thanks to Paintman, and very nice to meet you.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    There are people who like a "light BOB" and other who like a "large BOB".

If you go light- you have better mobility.....thats about it.
    If yo go large- you have more items you can carry.

Me- I like go to large. I've been camping, i've used all my gear, i know what works. Sure, you can build a lean to shelter. But can you stand to be eaten by mosquitos at night while you sleep? or have spiders crawl on your hair? Or do you rather take a tent with you.

my 2 cents.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    There are people who like a "light BOB" and other who like a "large BOB".

If you go light- you have better mobility.....thats about it.
    If yo go large- you have more items you can carry.

Me- I like go to large. I've been camping, i've used all my gear, i know what works. Sure, you can build a lean to shelter. But can you stand to be eaten by mosquitos at night while you sleep? or have spiders crawl on your hair? Or do you rather take a tent with you.

my 2 cents.

That's partially why I include the GI sleeping system as one of my mainstays. It's durable and can get you through most any conditions you'll come across in North America. The downside to that is that it is large, bulky, and adds some weight (although I don't mind that.) That is why I choose such a large pack to be able to handle it. That doesn't mean I have to completely fill the rest of it though.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    That's partially why I include the GI sleeping system as one of my mainstays. It's durable and can get you through most any conditions you'll come across in North America. The downside to that is that it is large, bulky, and adds some weight (although I don't mind that.) That is why I choose such a large pack to be able to handle it. That doesn't mean I have to completely fill the rest of it though.

I "had" a GI sleeping system but got rid of it. It was WAY to bulky compare to my tent (cabelas outback lodge 8x8)

tentsleep.PNG
    the bottom is the sleeping GI system, the top is the tent.
    photo.jpg
    tent1_zps2802e6c6.jpg

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN

I use an ILBE and GI sleep system. I assume you're talking about the 4-piece system. It sounds like you're saying that you put it IN the pack? Or do you attach it to the outside? If so, how do you do it? I use some paracord to do mine but just don't like the way I have it.

columbusprepper

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    I use an ILBE and GI sleep system. I assume you're talking about the 4-piece system. It sounds like you're saying that you put it IN the pack? Or do you attach it to the outside? If so, how do you do it? I use some paracord to do mine but just don't like the way I have it.

I attached it to the outside. The tent went on the top of the pack and the sleeping bag went on bottom. I bought some extra straps and made knots and tied it to the straps on the ILBE and was able to attach it to the bottom of the ILBE.

Major downside- the weight distribution is awful. Thats why i got rid of the GI Sleep system. and yes, i'm talking about the 4 piece. I think the sleep system weighs around 14-16lbs..... So i Opt out of it, got me a tent and my next purchase will be a portable collapsible wood stove i can put inside my tent and it only weighs less than 5lbs.

So wood stove + a SOL emergency bivy = warm night. So it sounds in theory.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I just use the standard compression sack and stuff it in. Usually it's the very bottom item for me because it's not something I use each time I use the pack. There is a bit of technique to packing it though I guess. Is that what you're curious about in getting it to fit?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I "had" a GI sleeping system but got rid of it. It was WAY to bulky compare to my tent (cabelas outback lodge 8x8)

View attachment 22155
    the bottom is the sleeping GI system, the top is the tent.
    View attachment 22156
    View attachment 22157

How does the tent hold up to rain? Does it insulate you down to 0 degree weather?

The fact that the sleep system does both of these and does them well is why I choose it over tents and other options. I don't pack an excessive amount of gear in my back, but the positives in this regard outweigh the negatives (weight/bulk) for me personally, even if I don't use it all that often.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I attached it to the outside. The tent went on the top of the pack and the sleeping bag went on bottom. I bought some extra straps and made knots and tied it to the straps on the ILBE and was able to attach it to the bottom of the ILBE.

Major downside- the weight distribution is awful. Thats why i got rid of the GI Sleep system. and yes, i'm talking about the 4 piece. I think the sleep system weighs around 14-16lbs..... So i Opt out of it, got me a tent and my next purchase will be a portable collapsible wood stove i can put inside my tent and it only weighs less than 5lbs.

So wood stove + a SOL emergency bivy = warm night. So it sounds in theory.
    Personally, I wouldn't include a fire inside my tent.

spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    Catoma Stealth or Eureka TCOP is about the best single person tents on the market, IMO. The Eureka is blackout capable which is good for stealth camping, both are very durable, and very small to pack. Cost is the biggest issue, with the Catoma coming out almost $100 cheaper. If I had to pick a setup, I'd have a Catoma Stealth or Catoma Combat 1 (2 in my case because of my wife) AND a Warbonnet Blackbird. I could switch one for the depending on the environment i'd be camping in. As SHTF, then with my Large BOB, I could pack both and call that George.

Categorizing the things you need, in order of

Shelter
    Water
    Fire
    Food
    Cordage
    First Aid
    Bushcraft
    Personal Hygiene
    MISC

Doing so, allows you to really choose what you NEED and saves pack space. Testing your pack against the elements then allows you to reduce or increase your supplies for YOU.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I "had" a GI sleeping system but got rid of it. It was WAY to bulky compare to my tent

Major downside- the weight distribution is awful. Thats why i got rid of the GI Sleep system. and yes, i'm talking about the 4 piece. I think the sleep system weighs around 14-16lbs..... So i Opt out of it, got me a tent.

I'm confusd. The ILBE Main Pack has two straps on the back/bottom of the pack that you can hang your compression sack w/ sleep system in. Why wouldn't you use that?

The two straps I'm talking about can be seen in these two photos.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...0248-u-s-m-c-ilbe-generation-2-main-pack.html

Last edited:

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm confusd. The ILBE Main Pack has two straps on the back/bottom of the pack that you can hang your compression sack w/ sleep system in. Why wouldn't you use that?

You can I guess. Have to run the straps so as not to allow them to work loose on long hikes. Typically, that gets used for those Styrofoam mats in service but you can use it however you wish.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    You can I guess. Have to run the straps so as not to allow them to work loose on long hikes. Typically, that gets used for those Styrofoam mats in service but you can use it however you wish.

The mat placed there would be less bulk but using up interior pack space for the sleep system seems inefficient. But as you say, use it however it works for you.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The mat placed there would be less bulk but using up interior pack space for the sleep system seems inefficient. But as you say, use it however it works for you.
    LOL. Tell me about it. Try cramming it in with everything else they expect you to ....

Cram a case of MREs in the 3-day assault pack for instance...lol

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Yeah, the GI sleep system is bulky, but it's capable of being tailored for the expected environment. To me, the big items are the Gore-Tex bivvy bag and the intermediate bag. In warmer weather, I pack the bivvy bag and a poncho liner, plus an SOL emergency bivvy. In the fall and winter, I add the other bags as needed, depending upon the weather. Other combinations I've tried have included one-man tent and bivvy/poncho liner combos.

Top Bottom