• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IUBrink

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    College kids still form their opinions from the movies and TV shows they watch. Guns kill people and then CSI comes in and cracks the case, every single time. That is the only reason they still feel safe; yet if only they knew the reality of it. :popcorn:

Mad Anthony Wayne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    NE central Indiana
    As long as there are forums like INGO we can stay in communication and use our collective influence to prevent the removal of our 2nd amendment...that, and try to educate all the people you can who have no clue or experience in owning a gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ed, my friend, maybe you just need to work on your approach?
    2rw15w5.jpg

Just sayin'...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    -Snip-
    Do you think my generation will be stupid enough to eliminate the second ammendment? (im 21)

I pray we never have a Constitutional Convention.
    You can bet the 2nd Amendment and the right to keep and bear arms WILL be a part of it.
    And the outcome won't be one that free people will like...

Last edited:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Do you really think thats my approach bw... really... you dont even know me at all. Please save your opinion, I dont need to hear it.

Last edited:

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    FWIW, having met him, I do not believe he was seriously offering that as a suggested course of action.

Thanks bill.

BW: Looking back on taking that picture, I admit it wasnt very smart. However, my intent is clearly not what you think. I took that picture alone facing a computer straight out and back into my holster for a "one in the chamber, safeties" thread. I thought it looked cool. My apologies if you are uncomfortable. I said it wont and it has not happened again. Im not saying I deserve my one silver rep medal, but out of all the "smart" things ive said, you pick the rare mistake. Thats sad. :dunno:

To get back on track. I thank all of you for your input. The comments and quotations have helped me see that there are still plenty of good logical people out there regardless of all the people im surrounded by near campus.

Have a good one.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    My advice is that you simply shouldn't let ignorant people scare you. That's complete bs, and in a way...it is ignorance. It's rhetorically no different than saying that guns scare you.

Be willing and happy to confront ignorance, and be willing and happy to "lose" an argument. Once people start arguing, they tend to close their minds. You just want to get in there and plant a seed of thought. You're obeying the law, exercising your right, and you've educated yourself on how to handle yourself in a safe manner. You're not a violent person. Demonstrate that you are part of the silent majority.

Good point, thanks for pointing that out! That makes me no better than them. :rockwoot:

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    Many college students change their attitudes when confronted with the real world.

^^ This ^^

Its hip to be that way in college, gets you laid etc.

I once had a teacher (very smart one at that) ask me if I would shoot him if he broke in my house in front of the whole class. He was serious, how I could value human life so little. I told him "tell you what, break in my house with my wife and kids there and 'see' what I do and I wasnt laughing when I said it.

He stared at me, and I think he was looking at it from my point of view and he never questioned me in that manner again. We actually became friends somewhat.

This was 15 years ago.......

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    :ranton: Its sad and ridiculous how many people I've met in the past 24 hours who are vocally scared and against guns. Of which none have any experience.

" I'm not scared of guns, at all. Fast moving bullets... now that's another story."

When has a bullet decided to kill anyone? I dont need protection from bullets, I need it for criminals, psychos, and politicians. Thats what was so funny, everyone I talked to either completely believes the fallocy that removing guns from the general populous will somehow eliminate crime. If we outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns. The other hilarious part of this was the NO ONE that gave their .02 of **** had any experience whatsoever. "My brother and dad shoot and im so scared of the guns. They are loud. What if my brother shot my dads head off." Was her argument.

I truely am scared for the future of this country and the rights of lawful citicens who carry daily, like me.

Granted, I am on a college campus, the most liberal area save for cali NY and MA, but still. Its so hard to even have a decent conversation about firearms without having 18 people come up and tell you youre a paranoid toolbag, or something. Where are these people coming from!? I just dont understand how anyone can think like this, let alone SO MANY people thinking the same.

Do you think my generation will be stupid enough to eliminate the second ammendment? (im 21)

You can be solutions focussed or problem focussed but not both.

Here is the classic example and it illustrates the above point really well.

Two shoe salesmen were sent to Africa to see if there was a market for their product.

The first salesman reported back, “This is a terrible business opportunity, no-one wears shoes.”

The second salesman reported back, “This is a fantastic business opportunity, no-one wears shoes.”

You have a whole campus full of people you can introduce to the fine art of shooting... some shooters don't get to do that to even one person a year while you could do it to one a week if you put your mind to it. Present it the right way and you'll have them lining up to go with you.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Also, the original poster is dealing with college kids. A good quote or two form someone considered "historical" goes further than any of the meaning behind it. IME

A quote by someone "historical" may go over well. But maybe not one from someone that most "liberal" college kids would consider "conservative". Better to go with one that is not sarcastic, and comes from one that they would consider "liberal" or "progressive". Such as this one.

"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest." -- Mahatma Gandhi

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    The problems here are ignorance, fear and generalization...on both sides of the fence. It's not necessarily a conservative/liberal issue either. I've met plenty of conservatives who fear guns as much or more than any liberal. I work at a very conservative place, and the same "gun control" rifts exist there as anywhere else.

True that it is ignorance from both sides that fear guns. However, when I talk with conservative friends that aren't gun owners, they just don't think THEY need one.

Contrarilly, when I talk to my liberal friends that aren't gun owners, they dont think I should own one.

After some attempts to educate them on why I own and carry, they usually back track to the "well, I will never own one" mentality.

superjoe76

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 21, 2011
    Allen County
    One other point I just thought about. The left's, sorry, the ignorants usually make the lame argument, that if you get rid of all guns then people will be safe. So what if you are on a leisurely stroll with your wife and kids and a dog charges? What then? What if a wild boar goes wild? What if a coyote gets wile? What about zombies? There are other things from which we need protection.

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    well, edbean, i'm pretty sure i know which campus you are talking about. having been there myself (i have since transferred) i can tell you that colleges with fewer people fresh out of high school and more people who have worked in the real world are far easier to deal with. I have yet to be called a baby-killer for my service to our country at the school i currently attend. and I can have conversations about guns with like-minded students without those who disagree (and overhear) attempting to shame me. It's refreshing to be left alone about my opinions on a college campus. stay the course! you are likely getting a first-rate education. Influence those whom you can, and be a good example to those you can't. Arguing with extremists from either side can be like wrestling with a pig: you will both get muddy and s****y, but the pig will like it.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    As an enlightened, tree-hugging liberal (god I love trees), I feel uniquely qualified to comment on this topic.

The problems here are ignorance, fear and generalization...on both sides of the fence. It's not necessarily a conservative/liberal issue either. I've met plenty of conservatives who fear guns as much or more than any liberal. I work at a very conservative place, and the same "gun control" rifts exist there as anywhere else.

The first problem is that the "gun culture" (the vocal fanatical gun culture IN GENERAL) is paranoid. Read some of the threads on this forum, and if you can see the forest from the trees you should be able to understand this. "They're going to take our rights." "They're going to invade my house." "The country is doomed." Perceived dangers are often over-hyped and over-analyzed...paranoia.

The second major problem is that people who do not own guns, generally do not have much knowledge about guns and do not have any desire to gain knowledge about guns. They are afraid of guns because guns and bullets DO kill people. That is why we carry them is it not? We are much more lethal with our guns, they are tools for killing or maiming when carried for self defense. This rational fear turns into paranoia when amplified by lack of knowledge and perspective. Non-gun owners do not have enough exposure to rational gun owners and measured rhetoric. But what can gun owners do to communicate the message? That is a huge problem. Simply going about your day responsibly (as a gun owner) is not very sensational and does not speak very loudly. Taking someone to the range is a great idea; one step at a time. As more and more people carry, this may change, but it's too early to tell.

The debate on both ends is far too emotional for either side's good. It's unfortunate that our political system is such that these "societal" issues must get played out in the courts, because then we end up in these situations in which the law has become a patchwork of inadequate and oft misunderstood regulations and rulings. There is the general problem that each side is somewhat ignorant (or in denial) of the other and that there are valid points on both sides. It's highly unlikely that gun control will ever be resolved via legislature, but will always be bounced around in the courts.

:draw:

I just had to post this quote again for the sheer intelligence & insight contained therein.

Excellent post!

Repped!

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I just turned 23 and I believe one of two things are inevitable in this generations lifetime. It will go one way or the other to the extreme. Either guns will be completely outlawed in this country, or guns will become the social norm and everyone will carry them. I predict one of these two to happen within the next 100 years.
    I agree with your reasoning, but disagree with your timeline. I think this will all transpire within the next ten years myself.:twocents:

Top Bottom