• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Indyjohn, what kind of MOA did you find your rifle capable of? Did you have custom work done? And have you found that style of scope mount to be sufficiently secure?

The rifle is easily capable of making 1 MOA at 100 yds with good ammo and without much effort on my part. No custom work; I bought it as a Standard model and sent it back for factory enhancements (read up on National Match upgrades). Years ago I built handloads that would make ragged holes at 100 yds. using iron sights. The rifle still has the capacity, my eyes do not.

Last edited:

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    IMG_2152.JPG
    I would suggest getting a "Scout" model first off due to its shorter OAL than M1A while still achieving decent velocity. I went the "SOCOM 16" route due to getting it at a good price and then dropped it into a Sage EBR stock w/ a Burris MTAC 1-6x in Larue QD mount. The Sage stock looks awesome, yes, but its insanely heavy and expensive. Kinda wish I would have just saved the cash and kept the SOCOM in its factory synthetic stock w/ a forward mounted scope.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Scout. Irons. Wood stock.

If you happen to be near the Fort of Wayne, I'd gladly let you try it out.

That's awesome gun. And thank you for your offer, but I am trying NOT to go that route, and I'm sure I would love your rifle and be convinced! So I'll pass. I have a CMP Garand, and I'm trying to make this gun fill a different role than the open sights battle rifle. :rockwoot:

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    A standard or scout will serve you well for 600 yds, and more if you have the skills. My "aftermarket" stocks are all USGI, walnut, birch, fiberglass and a big red. No glass yet, maybe never so long as I can see.

Mine with it's friends

Last edited:

IUprof

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Fort Worth
    Depends on what you want and how much you want to spend....like always:

1. I bought a standard with synthetic stock
    2. Vortex viper scope with a CASM mount that's awesome
    3. Regretted the synthetic stock and bought a wood one from Fred's. Terrific classic look. Then got tired of that and mounted in a VLTOR chassis. Enjoying that configuration right now.

I am ADHD when it comes to rifle stocks.

2 151 INF

Shooter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    South Bend
    I own a socom 16 model, but if I had to do again I'd buy a standard in a wood stock. I'd then take the extra money and buy mags and ammo. I like the socom model for what it is, but the ammo is sooo expensive I have only shot a few hundred rounds.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    If I were to buy an M1A it'd be the scout. The shorter overall length, the fixed solid factory scope mount, and the weight have all just felt right to me. It's always been on my want/lust list but I've never even shot one.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    If I were to buy an M1A it'd be the scout. The shorter overall length, the fixed solid factory scope mount, and the weight have all just felt right to me. It's always been on my want/lust list but I've never even shot one.

My son bought a scout as his first rifle. It took him exactly 1 day to ask me to take the aluminum bolt on mount off and replace his plastic stock and hand guard with the real deals. Length is a touch handier, but the weight difference is negligible.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My son bought a scout as his first rifle. It took him exactly 1 day to ask me to take the aluminum bolt on mount off and replace his plastic stock and hand guard with the real deals. Length is a touch handier, but the weight difference is negligible.

As many horror stories as I've read about the problems getting an M1A to take a scope I figured the scout scope rail coming from the factory would be a good way to avoid some of those problems. I haven't ready any chatter about guys having issues with the actual quality or durability of the scout mount, but I can certainly see why if a guy didn't want the forward optic that they'd want it removed. I wouldn't expect to save much on the weight of the gun, but the overall length was more of positive feature in my mind.

The biggest negative I see to buying a scout, is that ideally I'd like to put a silencer on it and to do that with the front sight and muzzle break combo they've got setup there's going to be some more parts and pieces.

RustyHornet

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 29, 2012
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I bought my Scout from an INGOer who never shot it, he removed the rail and installed a vented 'glass handguard. Therefore I have no comment on the Scout rail.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.6%
    41   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Which scope are you putting on it? And, what are you doing for a cheek riser?

2nd this question. I have read on the interwebz about the difficulty of scoping the M1A, but no one here seems to have struggled with it? That's good news!

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Which scope are you putting on it? And, what are you doing for a cheek riser?

I put a Nikon 3x9 on it for starters, i really like how it looks on the rifle. Cheek riser is my next step, I thought about mocking up something with foam/an old shirt to get a feel for where I need it. I need one for sure my chin in on the stock with proper scope line up now. Lol

2nd this question. I have read on the interwebz about the difficulty of scoping the M1A, but no one here seems to have struggled with it? That's good news!

I read that as well, it seemed to mount easy enough with the Bassett high mount and a set of low rings. Here's a few pics I took last night:

Top Bottom