• ...and so much more!
  • the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I'm jealous! I have nobody to train with on realistic scenarios. :dunno:

I'm a little guy too so this type of stuff I try to seek out so I'll be prepared if the time ever comes that I have to use my knowledge to offend off a BG

in real life...it's not a sport.....learn key points/pressure points...aim to strike them hard, wherever/however you can....as soon as you can....and you should be fine.....an easily accessed blade is a big advantage....once a wound is inflicted from it...most untrained people stop from fear, pain, psycological barriers....

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm jealous! I have nobody to train with on realistic scenarios. :dunno:

I'm a little guy too so this type of stuff I try to seek out so I'll be prepared if the time ever comes that I have to use my knowledge to offend off a BG

Im a little guy too, trust me that doesnt matter.
    I had fights with guys who were twice my weight and much taller, they all end up on the ground anyway so that doesnt matter. :dunno:

You can find some self defense classes if you want to practice with someone.
    Krav Maga type of stuff can be good.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Im a little guy too, trust me that doesnt matter.
    I had fights with guys who were twice my weight and much taller, they all end up on the ground anyway so that doesnt matter. :dunno:

You can find some self defense classes if you want to practice with someone.
    Krav Maga type of stuff can be good.

I used to train MMA for a little while. I would like to get into a class especially if it contained Krav Maga. But with my kids doing gymnastics and stuff and my wife and I's gun habit, we don't have the time or funds to participate in an actual class.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    My brother and I both study martial arts and have been for a few years, we always attack eachother (bare hands, knives, sticks, guns, bottles ... you name it) without warning in order to practice.
    That scares some people sometimes but it's a good training. :):

absolutely....the funniest thing I see ..is these "self defense instructor/gurus" who teach these "techniques" and are entirely static.....I just want to join as the "dummy" and show them how ineffective their training is to an UNWILLING opponent.....

many college campuses have allowed this training called RAD to be a free 'self defense" lesson for their female students...but if you've ever seen videos of their classes they are dangerous....entirely designed to build a woman's confidence without teaching them any real skills....I wanted to offer training....but between my own studies and full time job...time is minimal

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    To add a little break in the thread jack...

No, I have not had any formal training in weapon retention. I do, however have a thumb break retention strap on my holster. Someone would have to get awful close to me to properly disengage the thumb break and get my gun from my holster. Hopefully, I would notice someone before they got that close. And I practice quite frequently drawing while disengaging the thumb break.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I used to train MMA for a little while. I would like to get into a class especially if it contained Krav Maga. But with my kids doing gymnastics and stuff and my wife and I's gun habit, we don't have the time or funds to participate in an actual class.

Krav Maga teaches a solid mindset......"strike first, fast, hard....exploit vulnerabilities"...but no other real "skills".....majority of EVERYTHING i've seen from it, simply starts with a kick to the nuts....which while effective a majority of the time and it is disorienting...you can't rely your entire defense on ONE technique....i.e. what if your attacker is meth'd out....he won't feel it and you'll be largely powerless with only that training

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    absolutely....the funniest thing I see ..is these "self defense instructor/gurus" who teach these "techniques" and are entirely static.....I just want to join as the "dummy" and show them how ineffective their training is to an UNWILLING opponent.....

many college campuses have allowed this training called RAD to be a free 'self defense" lesson for their female students...but if you've ever seen videos of their classes they are dangerous....entirely designed to build a woman's confidence without teaching them any real skills....I wanted to offer training....but between my own studies and full time job...time is minimal

The mindset that you can be attacked anytime anywhere is the most important in my opinion.
    It's one thing to defend yourself in a class when you know the kind of attacked that will be used against you and when it will be used.
    Surprised attacks are what build your fighting skills.
    I can be talking to my brother in the kitchen and all the sudent I would grab a plastic bottle (in real life that would be a broken glass bottle) and try to hit him to the head or throat.
    That's fun and not (that) dangerous. :):
    That also teaches you to use all the objects around you as a weapon.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Not sure how the good old bull**** 21 foot rule came up but...
    you can ask some of the attendees from the last time I was in Indy about the drills we did. Not only can you absolutely evade an edged weapon even with a charging attacker,you can deal with it at contact distance. However if your first response is to draw your gun and stand still (as encouraged by square range training) you will likely end up leaking.

Anyway back to weapon retention, it is broken down to two parts, in and out of the holster. I am talking in the holster for now.

See here is the thing, I know many folks think that the exposed pistol is a deterrent, and that may be the case when there is nobody close to you...I know, I know, "I don't let anyone get within 21 feet of me"

The thing is that the hands follow the pain. How do you think you would react if when wearing a pistol, OC or not, you got punched square in the face or pepper sprayed. I don't even need your hands to go up that high before I can sink in a blood choke and walk away with your gun instead of fighting you over it. Think about these things now. Not when they happen.

For those of you who have kids, think back to when they were little and threw their heads back into you nose, smashing it, where did your hands go? Food for thought- George

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I know a guy who is in a wheelchair because he lost the ability to use his legs in a bomb blast. He was in the Army. When he got back from overseas, he lost an arm from a farming accident.

He carries a gun all the time. Yea, he's pretty much ****ed. :rolleyes:

Damn, that's some crappy luck.

What did he do to lose his arm?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    The mindset that you can be attacked anytime anywhere is the most important in my opinion.
    It's one thing to defend yourself in a class when you know the kind of attacked that will be used against you and when it will be used.
    Surprised attacks are what build your fighting skills.
    I can be talking to my brother in the kitchen and all the sudent I would grab a plastic bottle (in real life that would be a broken glass bottle) and try to hit him to the head or throat.
    That's fun and not (that) dangerous. :):
    That also teaches you to use all the objects around you as a weapon.

EXACTLY...you don't practice static....one opponent attacks and both actively counter....when you train with one man standing there and taking it..you're not learning anything

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    not that I've seen....what I've seen from that particular art is all hand/foot work

Exactly my point, if you don't have integrated training your real life response will not be integrated. You may stick with your open hands when you should be accessing your pistol, like many will be attempting to access their pistol to deal with a situation that can be dealt with open handed. If the only thing you have is a hammer then.....

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    Is there anywhere in the US where Krav Maga classes include pistol work?

I haven't seen any classes that taught it but I have seen an example of how krav maga technique would apply to a firearm being pointed directly at you at a point blank range. It consisted of grabbing the weapon, applying two quick blows to face to stun the opponent while wrenching the firearm upwards and away from the opponent to which you gain control and point the firearm back at them. I saw this on Fight Science, a show on discovery channel awhile back.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Exactly my point, if you don't have integrated training your real life response will not be integrated. You may stick with your open hands when you should be accessing your pistol, like many will be attempting to access their pistol to deal with a situation that can be dealt with open handed. If the only thing you have is a hammer then.....

exactly why i don't condone krav maga much...aside from it's "mindset" teachings

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    That is a basic gun/grab strip that has been around long before KM. I am talking about considerations for the student who carries a pistol.- George

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Not sure how the good old bull**** 21 foot rule came up but...
    you can ask some of the attendees from the last time I was in Indy about the drills we did. Not only can you absolutely evade an edged weapon even with a charging attacker,you can deal with it at contact distance. However if your first response is to draw your gun and stand still (as encouraged by square range training) you will likely end up leaking.

Anyway back to weapon retention, it is broken down to two parts, in and out of the holster. I am talking in the holster for now.

See here is the thing, I know many folks think that the exposed pistol is a deterrent, and that may be the case when there is nobody close to you...I know, I know, "I don't let anyone get within 21 feet of me"

The thing is that the hands follow the pain. How do you think you would react if when wearing a pistol, OC or not, you got punched square in the face or pepper sprayed. I don't even need your hands to go up that high before I can sink in a blood choke and walk away with your gun instead of fighting you over it. Think about these things now. Not when they happen.

For those of you who have kids, think back to when they were little and threw their heads back into you nose, smashing it, where did your hands go? Food for thought- George

lol...me personally, my head is the LAST thing I'm worried about getting hurt....wood boards, steel beams, knuckles, drywall...nothing yet has done anything past an aggrivation

While everyone's training is different, and to different levels of skill and purpose... I would have to disagree and say that there are far better ways to counter blood chokes and if the attacker maneuver's it properly, he shouldn't be in a position for you to be able to headbutt him....but that depends on his level of training as well.....also, a trained individual may be able to evade a knifed attacker....but assuming he's untrained isn't something I'm willing to do....short of running, if he knows tactics and how to use his blade, I've not seen the best trained evade a knowledgeable attacker whether it was friend in the SEALs , recon, spec-ops, or everyday grunts.....you get within 20 feet and chances are you're getting opened up somewhere...side step or not

in fact many military units have started "real" training...using actual blades...starting with sheaths on and progessing to open blades......seena guy's thigh filet open like fish

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    I spend two weeks a month working with a cadre of SEALS, Recon, and other SWAT cops and I am not familiar with that training.

The chances of you being attacked by a trained knife fighter are slimmer than that of you being shot by a Gunsite grad during a robbery attempt. The truth is the same with all weapon attacks, those perpetrating them often lack two things, training and hesitation.

Again based on teaching my Spontaneous Attack Survival course last this year at the two biggest LE training conferences in the US, and many other classes, I can absolutely take an able bodied person and get them to defend against violent driven attacks in four hours. The key is ensuring the worked is based on fundamentals and not techniques. - George

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    What about guys who are disabled? There are a lot of people out there who actually aren't physically able to defend themselves with their own hands and feet.

What do you think - OC with an Ankle Holster?
    Overcome.

SqcF2.jpg

If I ever went Blind, I'd probably Drop Leg a 12Gauge. Don't Startle Me Though.
    Smiley_blind.gif
    :ar15:

Top Bottom