If you carry a gun, do you carry it when you go to . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What federal regulations? Last I heard, there were trucking companies that forbade their employees from carrying, but no federal law to that effect. State laws are another animal entirely.

Bill is correct. There are no federal regulations. Only individual state laws need to be followed. Company policy could be a factor, but that could only get you fired, not prosecuted.

BTW - Don't trust Internet posts with your important legal issues. Verify.
    A good place to start would be the OP of this thread. He owned a trucking company.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I'm not allowed to carry a handgun on me when I work per federal regulations which makes no sense because truckstops are some of the most dangerous places you can be after the sun goes down. Not all truck stops are bad but some are really, really bad (e.g. Gary, IN).
    There are NO federal regulations or D.O.T. regulations that would prevent you from having a gun in your truck. In fact there are laws the protect your right to have a gun while traveling assuming the gun is legal at your starting point and your destination.

However there are state regulations that will require various different types of storage while traveling within the state. Typically it is easier to comply with the laws if you have a long gun (think tactical shotgun) than a handgun. Some states are anti-handgun but long gun friendly.

I believe in any of the states, while you are in your cab at a truck stop it is essentially your home and you can have a loaded gun (handgun or long arm) in your cab with you. While you are driving you must comply with the storage while driving laws of the state.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Not counting wars and battles. 22LR has possible put more people with the maker than any other one caliber. :twocents:

I'd make the same guess if I had to.

Wouldn't make it my first pick if I was concerned enough to think I was going to need a gun though.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Almost any gun is better than your fist.

Some are even better on the end of a good piece of rope than they are in your hand.

I even own a couple like that.

Still doesn't make them my first choice if I figure I'm going to need a gun and just because I made a bad pick one time it doesn't make me want to recomend them to some one who doesn't know any better and is asking for help just to pacify my own feelings about having made a mistake buying them.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Old exchange:
    "I see you have your pistol, are you expecting trouble?"
    "No, ma'am, if I were expecting trouble, I'd have my rifle."

Actually, if I'm expecting trouble I generally don't. go. there. Unlike a police officers, it's not my job to actually head into trouble.

The gun isn't for when I "figure I'm going to need it" but for when I figure I'm not going to need it but things turn out that I figure wrong.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I don't carry a gun every where I go. I carry where it makes any sense to be carrying a gun.

I don't care if you want to pack around 5 pounds of paper weight though.

I'd be really surprised if even half the people here claiming all this carrying time actually do carry anything but maybe the tiniest little 22 even half the time they are wanting you to think they do. I would bet a lot of these carrying claims are "carrying" in the glove box out in the car.

Where doesn't make sense to carry a gun?

I haven't left the house without a compact 9mm since June when the state of Indiana licensed me to carry it. The sad truth is violence is not something we go looking for. Violence is something that is thrust on us with little or no warning, likely when and where you are least expecting it.

I'm not saying having a gun of your own is a sure fire way to avoid being a victim. But it certainly helps even the odds.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Some are even better on the end of a good piece of rope than they are in your hand.

I even own a couple like that.

Still doesn't make them my first choice if I figure I'm going to need a gun and just because I made a bad pick one time it doesn't make me want to recomend them to some one who doesn't know any better and is asking for help just to pacify my own feelings about having made a mistake buying them.

You truly ARE cranky, aren't you? :cool:

DaveD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Greencastle
    To tell the truth, I feel very naked without it. It has become a part of my clothing, so yes....... I carry all the time

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I believe it's in the FMCSA rule book. I'll get back to you on that.

There was a discussion of this earlier this year, I think either at GlockTalk or AR15.com. No one could find any citations of an actual law prohibiting weapons in trucks that cross state lines. In the absence of evidence, it's an urban myth.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    One more arguement FOR church carry

FOXNews.com - 1 Dead, 2 Injured After Shooting During Sunday Service at New Jersey Church - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

A shooting inside of a New Jersey church service Sunday morning left one woman dead and two others hospitalized, MyFOXNY is reporting.

Seriously, do folks need beat over the head before they realize that churches are perfect targets for not only armed robbery, but incidents like this? What will it take to convince some folks that the world is NOT a nice place???

haldir

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Goshen
    Church, yes. Relatives... in a suitcase if travelling over night. If day trip at the very least under the seat of the truck.

Top Bottom