If you carry a gun, do you carry it when you go to . . .

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It might not be the gun they noticed :laugh::laugh:

Well I guess it might be something else depending on just how happy I am to see her.

I don't expect my house to catch fire. But I have a fire extinguisher, and smoke detectors. I don't expect to get into an auto accident but I carry insurance.
    So do I but I don't carry a smoke detector in my shirt pocket to walmart or a fire extinguisher on my back to the bank.

It's not difficult to carry a gun every day on your body. Even a gun the size of a Glock 19. Even in a professional setting where your shirts need to be tucked in, and nobody can know that you're carrying a gun, ever.

It's so easy there are dozens of threads about how to do it.:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    So do I but I don't carry a smoke detector in my shirt pocket to walmart or a fire extinguisher on my back to the bank.

I expect Walmart to have working smoke detectors already and I expect the bank to have fire extinguishers (in fact, both are required by law to do so).

The same expectation is not there when it comes to personal protection against potential violence.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    It's Turkey Day! I'm at my mother in laws and I'm the only one carrying. They all think I'm nuts for carrying all the time. They accept the fact that I carry though and let me in the house.

Yes I carry every place I go. Even a quick trip to the gas station to get dip. I also wear my seatbelt even though it's only a few blocks away. What good is a tool that can save your life if you only use it some of the time?

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I carried almost everywhere since I was 18, except for schools (once that was made illegal!). Since I work in schools, I didn't carry @ work, until I got a badge, too. Now I even carry @ my 'day job'....... unless my boss is reading this, ..... then .......... never mind.

45acp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    Carmel
    I have a question if you were to see someone wearing a Police NYPD T-shirt what would be your first impression. I have one and everytime I wear it I get some crazy looks, I would appreciate your opinion.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I have a question if you were to see someone wearing a Police NYPD T-shirt what would be your first impression. I have one and everytime I wear it I get some crazy looks, I would appreciate your opinion.

I usually figure that they either are showing their support post 9/11, like oneof the numerous tv shows set in NYC,were a tourist to NYC @some point, or that was the shirt they grabbed before going out. That is, if I even give it any thought @ all.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    One of the things that some people talk about is carrying based on the likelihood of something happening. Well, in another thread on this board I did some analysis based on the actual government figures on violent crime (cites for the information provided in that thread). Upshot was that in a given year an average person had at least a one in 200 chance of being a victim of a violent crime ("at least" because the numbers were for crimes committed and did not include crimes averted and I assumed only one victim per crime so the number would actually strictly greater than that).

Now, put that on a smaller footing. There are 8760 hours in a year (not counting leap years). A 0.5% chance per year translates into a bit more than a "1 in a million" chance (1.7476... in a million, actually) of something happening in any given hour. Many people look at that and come to the conclusion that it's not worthwhile to carry. Actually, it says the exact opposite. When the average possibility is that low, the difference between "likely" and "unlikely" is likewise very low. If you only carry when you "think you might need it" the chance that that is when something bad will go down is that "one in a million." But those little probabilities add up. The only way to be confident that you will have the weapon with you in the event that you need it (and that 1 in 200 chance per year came to a chance of something like a 3 out of 4 chance over a lifetime) to avoid becoming a victim of a violent crime is if you have it all the time. The difference between "likely" and "unlikely" is just not that much. The world is full of crime victims that didn't think they needed a weapon at that time and place.

I'm pretty sure many of the people on the LIRR train didn't think they needed to be armed beforehand, ditto the people at Luby's Cafeteria, Columbine, Virginia Tech, and many other placed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Adding to that, risk assessment has to include the weight of the consequences in addition to the statistical likelihood of the consequence occurring.

And of course, we should also remind ourselves that statistics apply to populations, not individuals. One can draw inferences and make generalizations to individuals, but the actual probability of something happen to any one person is either zero or one. It either does not happen or it does.

Keeping that in mind, the stats don't matter a whole lot when it happens to you. Either be prepared to deal with it, or accept the consequences.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As far as I'm concerned, 1:10,000,000,000 means nothing to anyone, UNLESS you are the 1! Then, it's important! That's why I carry everyday, all the time.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    When I go to take a crap, I grab two things: My 1911 and a book, in that order.

You never know what I may give birth to.

JPBrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I don't carry when I am working at a bar. As a bouncer I am not allowed not because of the law but insurance regulations. When I work the door I watch for guns more than any other feature of a person coming into my bar and I will refuse entry to anyone with a gun no matter who they are. Guns and alcohol do not mix and if you are the designated driver then you have a car that can hold your gun.
    Some people may feel I am in the wrong to infringe on others right to carry. I just want my bar to be safe.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I don't carry when I am working at a bar. As a bouncer I am not allowed not because of the law but insurance regulations. When I work the door I watch for guns more than any other feature of a person coming into my bar and I will refuse entry to anyone with a gun no matter who they are. Guns and alcohol do not mix and if you are the designated driver then you have a car that can hold your gun.
    Some people may feel I am in the wrong to infringe on others right to carry. I just want my bar to be safe.

Where do you work? We need to know where not to go.

:+1: I'm not interested in patronizing your bar, either. I'll take my money elsewhere.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

I might consider visiting your bar, IF YOU can absolutely guarantee my safety from the moment I leave my vehicle till I sit in it again. Absolutely no ifs, no ands, and no buts. My absolute safety.

:twocents:
    :D

Besides who determined that booze and guns don't mix? Society? It worked in the military up until the last decade or so. THOUSANDS of soldiers used to drink with firearms a lot more leathal in some cases than what I carry with very few incidents.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Guns and intoxication are poor bedmates, I agree.............. BUT.

Never been in a bar that was "safe", and I've been in a LOT of them. The nature of the beast.

Unless you are feeling me up or using a wand, you won't know I am armed.

Top Bottom