• ...and so much more!
  • dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Well, first of all I did not know it existed, so I suppose that counts. :):

Second, no close clubs that I can afford to join and no matches close by at all so I would never get to participate. No big deal there I suppose though, I'll have to look more at the information on the site.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My membership just expired, so I need to renew it.

ISRPA isn't just about matches. They are the Indiana "branch" of NRA.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Well, first of all I did not know it existed, so I suppose that counts. :):

Second, no close clubs that I can afford to join and no matches close by at all so I would never get to participate. No big deal there I suppose though, I'll have to look more at the information on the site.

Isn't freedom range down that way somewhere??

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    Yes, about 30-35 minutes away so not bad, but it is $300 a year to join! Way the heck out of my league that is for sure. I have stopped by once and looked around and it seemed nice and if I could afford it I'd join, but I doubt that will ever happen.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    1- Never heard of them, then again I've only lived here 6 years.

2- I need more info. Someone said "they are the Indiana branch of the NRA" In that case, they can go to heck and die. The corporate NRA clowns are selling us down the river on most days. http://www.patriotpages.net/nrafraud.htm I'd sooner give money to the brady bunch.

3- if they are unlike the nra and like the GOA, JPFO, SAF or RKABA, then maybe I should join.

Just not enough information here to make an informed answer to why... beyond I've never heard of them, lol.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    EVERY state in the union has a R&P Association. Every one that I know of and have contact with works to further our Constitutional rights, without compromise. (MN,WI,IA,IL,OH,GA,TN,KY,MI,CO)

"They" are the guy next to us trying to hit the center of the target.

"They" are the ones sponsoring and mentoring juniors in the shooting sports so that there is a future for the shooting sports.

"They" are the guys trying to make a difference and holding down a job and keeping their families on the right path.

"They" are the guys who filed an Amicus Brief to the Supreme Court in Heller VS DC.

"They" are the guys who fight for our firearms rights in our Indiana State Legislature and City and Town Councils.

"They" are not some vague entity as part of some National Organization. "They" are your neighbors, your friends, the person you would like to have coffee and conversation with. "They" are the ones you can talk to face to face if they are not doing what you think they should.

"They" were recently forced to give back to the Department Of Army the match grade M14's for Military use in the Global war on terror. These rifles were formerly available for the use of Indiana shooting and Junior teams.

"They" have done this on your behalf and without your support because they believe passionately in the cause.

"They" are or could be YOU.. After all. who do you think NRA listens to when setting priorities and agendas. It is not individual members. It is the State Associations!! (There, that is the big secret...)

I am just a member of the ISRPA. I am not a mover or shaker. It only costs $25 per year to join.

Here is the link to the ISRPA website--- Indiana State Rifle And Pistol Association - Home

Don't be afraid, move toward the light......

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The fact that so many people have not heard of ISRPA does make a big point, though. In my opinion, ISRPA does very little to promote the organization even in terms of awareness, much less membership.

Never in my life has anyone from ISRPA approached me at a range or online and offered to tell me about the organization. Contrast that with people who shoot USPSA. You can't stop some of them from "sharing" everywhere they go.

Regardless of what they are doing now, ISRPA needs to do a better job letting people know they exist. Part of that will be current, active members being less secretive and being more active in word of mouth advertising.

The same is true (in general) of the shooting disciplines that are under the "umbrella" of NRA and ISRPA. Bullseye shooting is almost dead, but how many bullseye shooters ever approach someone like me and offer to tell me about their sport? The same was true about NRA Action Pistol, but a few of us have been doing everything we can to inform people about NRA AP, hoping to save it as a presence in Indiana.

mrw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I'm a member. However, I can't tell from the website if they have regular meetings other than the year end one. Anyone know?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Rhino, I agree with everything you said.

Maybe the reason a lot of people don't know about their State Association is because it is not required to be a member to shoot local club matches. It is only mandatory that you be a member to shoot the State Championship matches. The typical IPSC shooter wouldn't know about or care about the State Association because their scores get reported elsewhere.

Highpower, Smallbore, Bullseye pistol, and blackpowder shooters should be all aware of ISRPA because of the State Championships at the end of the year.

I have to admit, when I shoot an IPSC or Action Pistol match, talking about ISRPA to the other shooters is not high on my list. I can change that though...

They really have done a lot of good with local and state gun issues and I think that they are deserving of your consideration.:patriot:

I wonder why there are no brochures and membership applications in every gunshop and Range clubhouse in the state?

For mrw: I think they have quarterly meetings in the Indy area. I have never gone to one because it is a 2 1/2 hour drive from Ft Wayne. I went to the annual meeting and awards banquet last November only because I did OK at the State Championships and got a trophy for 1st Master with a match rifle. I think I shot a 780-14X.
    I think the meeting notices are posted in the newsletter.

Maybe this thread will get a few people to look into ISRPA.

Thanks for your time,
    Dean Drews

Ruxpin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    I've been a member off and on for a number of years. Presently a member along with my 14 year old son. I have neither time nor inclination to participate in any functions but joined to help promote the sport in the state.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    What good would a membership do? Do they do much? I have met the president of that organization once, and that was the first time I had heard of them. I'd like to see the organization become larger and do more.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    What good would a membership do? Do they do much? I have met the president of that organization once, and that was the first time I had heard of them. I'd like to see the organization become larger and do more.

Coach and I met the current president at the same time (during one of the public comment meetings over the then-proposed changes in the DNR regulations). He seemed like a nice guy and he also seemed very interested in learning more and perhaps combining forces with a small RKBA-oriented organization that minuteman32 and I started. We also discussed the possibility of having some kind of liaison or communication between the Indiana USPSA Section and ISRPA, much like there exists for IDPA and Cowboy Action Shooting.

He gave me his card so I could contact him. I sent e-mail to him several times, but he never responded.

Top Bottom