If I'm stopped by a cop while carrying...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I do my level best not to give a reason to be stopped...in fact in 35 years of driving I have never received a speeding ticket. If the issue did arise I would follow don't ask/don't tell. If an officer wanted to disarm me I would ask if I was being arrested and if not I would ask if I could leave. If it escalated from that point I would call my lawyer. The police do not have the right to disarm without cause and their "safety" is not cause. Let's face it...cops shoot more people accidentally than the other way around.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I disclosed to an officer last week when I got stopped, he seemed to be very happy that I showed him that respect. Didn't ask to see my LTCH nor my firearm, simply asked me to keep my hands on the steering wheel when he walked back to my truck.

No biggie!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    I disclosed to an officer last week when I got stopped, he seemed to be very happy that I showed him that respect. Didn't ask to see my LTCH nor my firearm, simply asked me to keep my hands on the steering wheel when he walked back to my truck.

No biggie!

and thats great!! He should be praised for doing his job right.

but sadly i dont know if im gonna get him (good cop) or a bad officer when/if i get stopped, so im not gonna take the chance. my lips are sealed, and they can have the DL and nothing else, unless they see the gun. I will not be disarmed unless im going to jail.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    and thats great!! He should be praised for doing his job right.

but sadly i dont know if im gonna get him (good cop) or a bad officer when/if i get stopped, so im not gonna take the chance. my lips are sealed, and they can have the DL and nothing else, unless they see the gun. I will not be disarmed unless im going to jail.

Understood and extremely valid point you make; I sort of "felt" this cop wouldn't give me crap, he was a veteran K9 officer and I felt I could trust him; so I decided to show some respect and let him aware of my situation.

I'd be picky about this, too especially with a rookie cop that has something to prove.

JMHO.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    well when they walk up i have no idea who they are. maybe the old cop is set in his dick ways??? never know.

also, might be careful about trusting a cop so freely. while they have that uniform on, i can almost be sure they dont trust any of us. and they have the power to bone you whether its legal or not at the time. being courteous and polite to someone and TRUSTing them are VERY different. that comment isnt a slam on LEO's .... NO ONE earns my trust just by walking up to me. Trust is earned over time by all! Family included.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    The police cannot tell if you have a LTCH by running your drivers license.

This is not true. EvilleDoug inquired about this a week ago with a Vanderburgh country sheriffs deputy. Our local police departments do know. However I'm sure most across the state do not.

Tho the OP it is your personal preference since you legally do not have to inform the officer.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Not to thread jack, but....

If stopped on a routine stop, speeding a couple over, tail light out, failed to yeild or whatever, nothing "Serious" (I know that's subjective but I think you get the idea) are you required to tell and officer that you have a weapon in the car. We don't have the duty to inform, and we also have the right to remain silent. Obviously if asked, you shouldn't stare silently at the officer. I would also say that you shouldn't lie because it could possibly be used as PC.

Would a statement of "There is nothing unlawful in my car." a valid response to an officer asking if you have any weapons in the car? Just curious here. I carry a folding pocket knife and pistol all the time, so both could be considered weapons. I say they're both tools but that's the the legal POV.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Would a statement of "There is nothing unlawful in my car." a valid response to an officer asking if you have any weapons in the car? Just curious here. I carry a folding pocket knife and pistol all the time, so both could be considered weapons. I say they're both tools but that's the the legal POV.

Can't find the INGO thread on this topic but basically your statement (in red above) set's off the LEO spidey senses that something is indeed "wrong" in your part/person and thus you have given probable cause to have your car search.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    Can't find the INGO thread on this topic but basically your statement (in red above) set's off the LEO spidey senses that something is indeed "wrong" in your part/person and thus you have given probable cause to have your car search.

I agree; a statement like that could easily be interpreted as a "spontaneous utterance".

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

So, stating that you have done/possess nothing illegal is grounds for PC to think that you have done/possess something illegal? If I also deny them permission to search my car or house then am I then giving them PC to search my car/house? :dunno:

Those are rhetorical questions. The answer to both are "no". It's thinking like that which allows the infringement of our rights that we see all too often.

I agree; a statement like that could easily be interpreted as a "spontaneous utterance".

I think the term is "excited utterance" & it's used when someone confesses to doing something illegal before rights have been read...not for saying that they are innocent of any wrongdoing. Saying you are innocent is not PC for arrest. If that was the case then we would all be spending a lot of time in jail.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    For what reason would one inform the police of the items in ones possession? Should I inform the police that I am carrying a set of keys? An extra pair of boots in my trunk? A bottle of water? Should I list every single item in my possession?

Why is a gun any different than these things? Why is possession of a gun even an issue at all? Why is it considered any more "notification worthy" than the keys or boots or bottled water?

9lock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Classified
    Well if they would just leave you alone it would not be an issue now would it. you never know how misinformed that person could be, might want to talk guns, might flip out and stick his in your face, you never know, I have been on this planet almost 50 years and seen/heard some "interesting" things from cops so be careful, I try to aviod them PERIOD unless I know them personally, otherwise it's strickly business ID & Registration have a nice day and send them on they're way.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So, stating that you have done/possess nothing illegal is grounds for PC to think that you have done/possess something illegal? If I also deny them permission to search my car or house then am I then giving them PC to search my car/house? :dunno:

Those are rhetorical questions. The answer to both are "no". It's thinking like that which allows the infringement of our rights that we see all too often.

Agree finity, but we are dealing with 2 different classes of "citizens" in the OP situtation. [Yes the 2 different classes of citizens may not be right but it is what it is]. You don't do what the LEO says, you put up any type of "fight" (verbally), are "not cooperative" and you can expect that the LEO will slap you with all type of stuff to arrest you be it right or wrong or in the case of guns go all crazy and pull his out on you (as we have numerous threads here about), etc.

The LEO may not be right or he may be right but in the end he has the power (to abuse if s/he wants) & you can not do anything AT THAT moment in time. Sure you can take the matter to the court but how many of those matters ever get the LEO fired/disiplined/etc...

As someone else said it's best to avoid LEO for everything p-e-r-i-o-d. When I see one on the road, I end up turning off whatever road I am on to avoid them, even if it means I've just added more time to my commute & am running late. If they are behind me I turn into whatever commerical lot I can (gas station, 7-11, target, etc..) and pretend I'm going to go shopping, etc. Served me well all these years.

kramnor54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    if you are in a situation where you are going to be patted down or otherwise discovered notify them asap

Scarnucci

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    IN
    Same thing happened to me. When getting my DL out, he noticed my pink LTCH and asked for my weapon for his safety during the stop. When the Officer brought my weapon back to me, he handed me my Colt empty, magazine empty, and a handful of loose ammo. I moved where I keep my permits (IN and FL) in my walletsince then.

I've seen the FAQ on the state's site that says we are obligated to show officers our LTCH if asked. Where does it say we must disarm ourselves and surrender our handgun to an officer if asked? I've not seen it.

If an officer wants my gun he had better have probable cause to detain and or arrest me. And yes, my lawyer is on speed dial since I'm married to her.

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    I made my wife drive back from her parents house one time. ( I did not want to drive.) I took a nap she woke me up and said i am getting stopped, the cop came up looked inside (as they do) asked me if i had a firearm i said yes i do. He asked what kind and i told him a smith wesson 1911. He asked to see it came over to my side of the car to look at it and told me he wanted to get one, (I was thinking very straing) I asked what made you ask me if i was packing and said it was my trijcon hat. He just asked if i had a permit didn't ask to see it didn't even talk to my wife about the stop. Just wierd. This was 2 years ago.

buffalo-springfield40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    i never give any info....if they ask..then i tell...i've spoke of this before but when i am stopped on the bike the 1st thing they ask me is where my firearm is...not if i have one..but where it is...so i'm assuming that its somewhere on my file...but then agian it might just be me..

Top Bottom