If any LEOs in here, what do you recommend for .223 home defense?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newowner574

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Mishawaka indiana
    As the title states, any leos in here lurking around? My question is, what does your department use for your rifles ( ar15) while in the field. Ive read and read but havent really found a solid answer. Ive read both, where people prefer not to use an ar15 for home defense and vise versa. Ive also read where for example fiocchi 40gr vmax rounds are a good option. Like i said any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Along with non leos as well. Thanks guys!

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    IMPD issues old Colt A2s and some Bushmaster XM-15s. I personally have an issued Bushmaster. My personal rifle is a Rock River/DPMS. I also have an issued and a personal 870. Either the rifle or shotgun could be used for home defense. I don't know anything about the ammo you mentioned.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Most local le depts use hornaday TAP-le which is the brass cased stuff or the federal tactical bonded which is a "trophy bonded bearclaw" bullet if memory serves. The federal stuff is supposed to be real good at penetrating barriers so I wouldn't pick it for HD.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Not LEO, but I prefer a shotgun for dedicated HD. To your question of the 40 gr. Vmax, I've personally seen that round splash on the shoulder of a coyote, so I'd go with something with a little more mass and a more solid construction. Even a 50 or 55 vmax would hold together better...55 gr. Soft point better yet. At HD distances the velocity will cause the sp to shed mass quickly.:twocents:

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    I have no personal experience, but I know some recommend Frangible ammo for home defense. Less chance of over penetration.

FredMcIntire

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Dec 24, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    I'd never choose an AR for home defense, unless I was trying to stave them off 300 yards away from the house.

I'd go with a 12 gauge, pump action shotgun. You can load 2 different scenarios.

Scenario #1: The first 2 rounds could/would be deer slugs. The remaining rounds would be #4 lead shot rounds.

Scenario #2: All rounds loaded could/would be #4 lead shot.

In the first scenario, you eject the slugs if you don't need them, and all the action is going to be up close and personal.

Some will say load 00 buck shot. The only problem with this is that you can get wall penetration with 00 buck shot, especially in newer homes.

Personally, I'd choose scenario #1.

The other thing I would highly suggest is to add some type of gun mounted shooting light to your shotgun. You MUST be able to identify your target BEFORE you shoot.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    As the title states, any leos in here lurking around? My question is, what does your department use for your rifles ( ar15) while in the field. Ive read and read but havent really found a solid answer. Ive read both, where people prefer not to use an ar15 for home defense and vise versa. Ive also read where for example fiocchi 40gr vmax rounds are a good option. Like i said any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Along with non leos as well. Thanks guys!

Not a leo, but Hornady TAP comes well recommended for .223 SD use.

Newowner574

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    Mishawaka indiana
    Thanks for all the replies so far. My thinking is this. ( I didnt buy my ar for home defense per say) but im just thinking worst case scenario that if for some reason i need my ar for defense, what round would be the best. Also im not going to be clearing any homes, im not a leo but a body piercer lol. But if a leo is clearing a house with say an ar, what round do they choose to not harm neighbors of the fugitive ect? god forbid another office was behind a wall that the criminal was in front of and an officer shoots. Maybe im just over thinking this but i just like to think worst case.
    My mom was working at a movie store part time, and got held up and gun point. The robber held a gun to the back of her head and had her plea for her life. This happend only a few years ago. They never got caught. But after all this happend to her, it just has me really thinking about things.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd never choose an AR for home defense, unless I was trying to stave them off 300 yards away from the house.

I'd go with a 12 gauge, pump action shotgun. You can load 2 different scenarios.

Scenario #1: The first 2 rounds could/would be deer slugs. The remaining rounds would be #4 lead shot rounds.

Scenario #2: All rounds loaded could/would be #4 lead shot.

In the first scenario, you eject the slugs if you don't need them, and all the action is going to be up close and personal.

Some will say load 00 buck shot. The only problem with this is that you can get wall penetration with 00 buck shot, especially in newer homes.

Personally, I'd choose scenario #1.

The other thing I would highly suggest is to add some type of gun mounted shooting light to your shotgun. You MUST be able to identify your target BEFORE you shoot.

1. The idea that you'll be evaluating and ejecting rounds to select your preferred shell for the situation during the stress of a home defense situation is kinda ridiculous.
    2. No matter what you've heard at a gun shop, anything that will reliably penetrate a human body deep enough to effectively stop an attack will also penetrate 1/2" drywall. Fill the tybe with 00 Buckshot, know how that particular load patterns in your gun, and always BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEHIND IT.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    You can look on YouTube and see examples of rounds going through multiple layers of drywall. It is amazing how much they will penetrate.

I would go with the Hornady TAP or similar, and probably the higher weight versions would be better.

Who Dares Wins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know a guy at work who lived next to where some bad guys had a quick shootout and some rounds came into his apartment and got into the water heater. He didn't figure it out until his feet got wet walking around a few hours later. Thankfully he was renting and didn't have to pay for it.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    That is interesting, why not something similar to TAP? Does the exposed lead tip flatten/expand when it encounters an obstruction?
    The federal bonded does much better against barriers such as windshields than does the poly tipped TAP. The federal uses a bonded soft point hunting bullet. I believe the projectile is marketed as the trophy bonded bearclaw.

Top Bottom