If a silencer has always been too expensive.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • handgun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2012
    Central part of This state
    What is really sad is i could make such a thing on a friends lathe for less than 20.00.. Would be a neat paper weight :-D But i won't do it.. Never thought about using a oil filter for such. I wonder how many rounds its good for!

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    $75 for a thread adapter to hang an FL1A off my gun? No thanks.

on the Cadiz site, they're selling it as a solvent trap, not a suppressor.

redpitbull44

Expert
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Might be able to use the sights on a rifle like the G3 using a BF7634. It's 3" diameter, so it would only be above the barrel ~7/8" or less (accounting for barrel thickness). I think after the first shot you'd wanna open the hole up to 1/2" so you might have some chance at accuracy. Most filters have a ton of paper in them. I wonder if that paper catching fire is a concern.

Last edited:

in812

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    wow how did they get that past the atf
    so i guess you cant have a spare oil filter that would be suppressor parts LOL

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    wow how did they get that past the atf
    so i guess you cant have a spare oil filter that would be suppressor parts LOL

This is my thought as well. I would think the atf would require a form 4 for the thread adapter. I thought it was illegal to even stick a soda bottle on the end of your gun. And that doesn't even work unless... nevermind.

madeuce50

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Lafayette,In.
    Illegal if not registered no if's and or but's. Bloop tubes, soda bottles, oil filters, small engine mufflers etc. Once you lower the decibels or report by adding anything to host other then the ammo it must be registered to ATF. Even possession of the adapter could be considered constructive possession.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Illegal if not registered no if's and or but's. Bloop tubes, soda bottles, oil filters, small engine mufflers etc. Once you lower the decibels or report by adding anything to host other then the ammo it must be registered to ATF. Even possession of the adapter could be considered constructive possession.

Pretty much this.

If you muck with any of this kind of crap... I suggest that A) you don't do it.

And B) don't. ever. mention. it. to. anyone. ever.

-J-

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    Not a lawyer but I am sure if you need to register a soda bottle used as a suppressor (or at least the adapter) then this also would need to be registered.

Not bad "looking through" the suppressor if using both eyes, some parallax type issues, for some at various ranges.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Well, the first thing he says in the video is that the adapter is registered, so I'm guessing that's how they were able to do it. By registering the adapter, everything is just replaceable parts.

Still, given how inexpensive some suppressors are, I don't know why you'd pay $275 for this (with tax stamp), rather than $400 (with tax stamp) for an actual suppressor. I would think you'd eat the difference in filters before too long, so it would be much more expensive in the long term (that, and you can't see the sights).

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You could register an oil filter or an adapter on a Form 1. Dont know the legalities of buying the adapter first and then registering it if its never mounted to a filter.

Top Bottom