I was just given this Indiana War of 1812 relic....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    This thread has me thinking about old stuff I have and what it means. Example: I have a pewter plate that dates back to around 1770. It is a simple plain dinner plate, the type you would find in a tavern or inn. It could easily have carried a founding father's dinner or a Hessian soldier's lunch. I realize that is unlikely but who knows.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Example: I have a pewter plate that dates back to around 1770. It is a simple plain dinner plate, the type you would find in a tavern or inn. It could easily have carried a founding father's dinner or a Hessian soldier's lunch. I realize that is unlikely but who knows.

Have Churchmouse take a look at it.....He may be able to at least tell you whether it was used at any taverns he frequented back then...:)

(I too have a couple of 18th century pewter plates...They don't go for that much money so I used the one I had at reenactments.....It was cool eating off a plate that the person I was pretending to be may have eaten off of.....)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I love objects with history, they speak to me. When in Italy I picked up a bronze age dagger, in Turkey I went to an archeological dig and scored some crusade era coins, I have a lot of books in my library from before the civil war and a first printing of the photographic history of the civil war (in a bunch of volumes). My oldest pewter mug is dated 1630. It has an 'odd' metallic taste when charged with alcohol so I don't use it much...I prefer my drinking horn anyway.

I recently finished reading "The Campfires of Napoleon" ~1856 which probably inspired some young man to go get involved in the whole war between the states thing. It's written not as a history of his battles but the stories his soldiers told around the campfires after the battles.

Anyway, history and historic things; I'm a fan.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I have to wonder if the future will care for the relics we make like we care for the past's.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You never know who you'll meet or what things you'll see when you stop by Indi's museum and gift shop. Sometimes it's a cool relic, sometimes a famous writer, and sometimes other INGOers. :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    You never know who you'll meet or what things you'll see when you stop by Indi's museum and gift shop. Sometimes it's a cool relic, sometimes a famous writer, and sometimes other INGOers. :)

And if you happen to go when Churchmouse is there, you can see both a cool relic and another INGOer, all in one. ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't know about all this agism I'm seeing against Churchmouse. I mean. C'mon. Imagine when you're that old. Think how you would feel with a bunch of relatively whippersnapper aged youn punkz poking fun at your age!

Well. Theoretically imagine you're that old.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know about all this agism I'm seeing against Churchmouse. I mean. C'mon. Imagine when you're that old. Think how you would feel with a bunch of relatively whippersnapper aged youn punkz poking fun at your age!

Well. Theoretically imagine you're that old.

All in good fun of course. Actually I fall between CM and Indiucky in age, so if they're both "old", I reckon I must be too. :):

Top Bottom