I was just given this Indiana War of 1812 relic....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    to care for and display...I am humbled.....The gentleman came in Saturday to have me appraise his flintlock...I did and we found out we both own rock shelters in Perry County....He said, "We own Penitentiary Rock...Have you heard of it?" and I said, "Oh yeah...Where they found the War of 1812 Rifleman's button....That was awesome..." His jaw about dropped...He looked at the War of 1812 Shield button (large) I have from a bridle, I believe, that my maternal Grandfather found on the river in 1946 on display...Stared at it and said to me, "Do you want it??? I think here is where it is supposed to be..." I told him he didn't have to do that and he insisted....We talked a bit longer, (this was Saturday) and exchanged contact information and he left...

I really did not think much more about it other than it was kind of neat to meet the man who found such a cool item...Fast forward to 10 minutes ago and he walked in with a small Tupperware container, opened it up, reached inside and handed me the button..."It's yours...treasure it and educate folks with it..."

I am humbled guys....It's an honor to be custodian of such a rare item.....Thanks for letting me share...

war_1812_button.jpg

Here's a link to the story when it was found....

http://www.perrycountynews.com/content/war-1812-relic-found-county

Historians wonder whose button it is

A 200-year-old button found in Perry County has a lot of people wondering.

A button from a War of 1812 soldier’s uniform was found in eastern Perry County.

A button from a War of 1812 soldier’s uniform was found in eastern Perry County.

It is simply a button but not just any button. It is a button off of a soldier’s uniform from the War of 1812.
    The button was found by Brad and Jana Faith who live near Penitentiary Rocks in Perry County.
    “At first it was thought to be a button from the Civil War. We were totally stunned to find that the button dates even further, back to the War of 1812,” said Molly Hall, a genealogist who spoke to the Faiths.
    Whom did the button belong to? That’s the question many would like to know.
    It could have belonged to one of the soldiers camping at the rocks during the war or perhaps American Indians holding prisoners in the rocks. Or it could have come from one of the men from the county known to have fought in the war: Anthony Horton, John Courcier or Abraham Murphy.
    Frank Doughman of Vincennes and a member of the Society of the War of 1812 was asked his thoughts on the lost button.
    “The U.S. Regiment of Riflemen would have been at Vincennes and Fort Harrison in 1811/1812 but this button is a late war button and not what the troops would have had at either of those locations,” he wrote.
    :This button was issued in late 1813/1814 It is definitely a (rifleman) button and not a militia button. I do not know of riflemen in the area after that. They were at Fort Erie and Fort Meigs in Ohio.”
    The button’s pattern depicts a bugle or hunting horn around the center with 13 stars above the word “Rifle.” Rifle is written in capital letters within the bugle’s circle.
    The high relief pattern is set on a plain field with no edge border.
    Collectors find the 13-star pattern a bit tougher to find compared to the 15 & 17 Star Pattern.
    As the state prepares to mark its bicentennial, a lot of people would like to know t

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Wow that's awesome thanks for sharing.
    I always love touching historic items like that because it's a real connection to the past. People laugh at me for the historic things i collect but to me it's a connecttion to our past which shapes our present and the future

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Neat item and an excellent citizen to let you put it on display.

When I was a kid I felt the need to dig a hole by my dads garden...spent most of the summer digging it, got to be about 6' deep and around...used a ladder to get in and out at the end. The day I decided it was deep enough I found a penny at the bottom - 1817. Looking back as an adult I wish I had kept digging but it was time to go back to school and dad really wanted me to fill in that hole. Still have that penny sitting in my desk drawer.

Dentoro

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Fairland
    It's just a button......I'm so jealous about I can hardly stand it! We were still a territory 1813/14! The charity and fellowship to give and share it should not be lost. Very generous of him!

Top Bottom