• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mr.steve

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    Plymouth
    It's about ego. If one goes to school, one may have admit that he does not know it all.

Pride is a useless asset. I'm new to firearms. Sure, I've shot some occasionally but, really only pointing and jerking the trigger. I use all available sources to improve my knowledge and skill. I have yet to be rebuffed or ridiculed by asking questions and thereby exposing my ignorance. I am grateful to everybody who has taken their time to explain a facet of handgun care and proper use. When I spy an experienced shooter I go into dummy mode (easy to do :)) I ask deliberate questions and listen to the answers. Afterwards I practice and use the wisdom so freely given.

IMO: You folks are an invaluable source for me. :yesway:

Bugoutbob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    South Bend
    Classes | Kodiak Firing Range & Training Facility, Inc

Very good training and not out of sight price.
    Instructor Norm Hood.
    Special forces
    Alaska State trooper
    Very easy going.

I have been looking into these and the Basic NRA is definitely affordable and I hope to schedule up in the next month or two.

I would love to take the defensive handgun courses, but I am just turned off by the cost of the class and the ammo together. I want to be able to take the classes with my wife and the defensive level one would be something like $320 combined, which might be doable but would be a big strain on funds, and level 2 would be around $760. I just need to win the lotto...

RBrianHarless

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2011
    Kokomo
    There are so many comments that I would love to quote in my response. Great contributions.

I sold a Glock 24 to help pay for my opportunity to become a NRA Instructor in Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun. Was a sacrifice to me personally, but needed to be able to pay for the courses.

As a NRA Instructor, I have found in my area that people have time constraints and that the NRA First Steps Course best suits them. It is three hours long and they are learning the safety and shooting fundamentals with their firearm. It is priced at $65 and is a great course. I am also flexible with my students on price.

The NRA Basic Pistol Course runs around $125. I have seen the classes offered for far north of that price.

I try not to over book because I take into the consideration of the students needs. They pay for the education and attention and I want them to leave the range with the proper knowledge, skills and attitude that they came to learn.

It is the responsibility of the instructor to ensure that the student leaves without being disheartened towards shooting sports.

As a instructor, we should be encouraged to train continuously. We are always a student.

Several years ago I had money set aside to take a Combat Focus Shooting Course with I.C.E. Training/Rob Pincus. That was two weeks after taking a Glock Armorer Course. If I was to do it today in this economy, I would have to reconsider due to cost.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I decided to sell some gear and get some training when I came to the conclusion that I preferred to be good with a few guns rather than sucky with a whole bunch.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    To those who have replied, I appreciate the comments and continued discussion. You guys and gals seem to really "get it".

To those who haven't replied, I hope you take the message to heart as a way of help, and not as an attack on your current situation. I look forward to seeing you all at the next training class!

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    FREE "BASIC" handgun training

Sponsored by the NSSF-National Shooting Sports Foundation
    Free BASIC handgun training classes are available on the 2nd Saturday of each month at:

Applied Ballistics Systems Inc.
    3217 Olympia Dr
    Lafayette, In 47909
    765-838-0700
    Closed Mon.&Tues.

These are BASIC handgun courses known as the "First-Shots" program, and are designed for first-time shooters. Anyone with much of ANY firearms experience will likely be bored, but it is a great course to teach the fundamentals of proper handgun grip, stance, and most important of all, SAFETY!

It's completely free of charge, and attendees get approximatly 90 minutes of classroom instruction, and then they are treated to their "First-Shots" by way of an indoor range, and Ruger MarIII's.
    Firearms, ammuniton, targets, eye and ear protection, are provided FREE OF CHARGE!

I volunteer to teach these classes, and I've seen a few Ingo members come through the course as a refresher. We get more women and kids than anything else, but that shouldn't be a Muppet news flash (most men already know it all already :rolleyes:)

We teach kids as young as 7 years old, and they even have rifle classes for the kids using Keystone Cricket .22LR's.

Yes, SOME firearms training may be a bit spendy, but there's no excuse for not learning the basics! ;)

These courses are free, but class sizes are limited, so they ask you call to reserve your spot.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I just hunt so am not interested in classes.
    Classes may help many folks, but the taking of a class doesn't guarantee anything.
    I've seen folks with PHD's that were damn near worthless in their chosen fields, and I've seen guys and gals who have taken quite a bit of training who still shoot like crap (and break safety rules).
    In the end, it all depends on the student.
    I do think bashing folks who haven't paid for a class to be a bit elitist though.
    I've seen a lot of military and LEO blasting the ceilings and floors of my local indoor range and those folks are "professionals" ;)

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    I've seen a lot of military and LEO blasting the ceilings and floors of my local indoor range and those folks are "professionals" ;)
    Find time for one three-day or a couple two-day handgun courses every year and you'll quickly have more hours of formal range instruction in the use of the pistol than most .mil or LEO.

(As you suggested, however, how well that instruction is put to use is up to the attendee. It's not like "leveling up" in a video game; skills need to be practiced in order to be retained.)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I do think bashing folks who haven't paid for a class to be a bit elitist though.

I hope you don't find any bashing here. My intention was only to help those who were already motivated to take a class, but perhaps lacked the funds to do so. Whether or not one should take training classes is another topic for another thread.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Find time for one three-day or a couple two-day handgun courses every year and you'll quickly have more hours of formal range instruction in the use of the pistol than most .mil or LEO.
    Military in GENERAL, perhaps. That encompasses a LOT of MOS's. Let's face it, if they work in an office they don't need to be familiar with a pistol. A combat MOS, and this is hardly the case (at least for military.) LEO is another story all together, but as for military they get quite a bit of instruction if it pertains to their MOS. Well, maybe not a LOT of "instruction," in all cases but certainly a LOT of range time to get their skills down. We'd sling so many rounds down range in a given week that we'd almost get sick of shooting. I loved the practice for free, but a lot of guys would end up "dumping" live rounds out on the ground or figure up some way to get rid of them without having to shoot them all. I didn't care for this practice myself because I wanted the range time, but it's all about muscle memory.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    A combat MOS, and this is hardly the case (at least for military.) LEO is another story all together, but as for military they get quite a bit of instruction if it pertains to their MOS. Well, maybe not a LOT of "instruction," in all cases but certainly a LOT of range time to get their skills down. We'd sling so many rounds down range in a given week that we'd almost get sick of shooting.
    Outside of SOCOM units in a pre-deployment workup, how much of that range time was with a pistol?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Outside of SOCOM units in a pre-deployment workup, how much of that range time was with a pistol?
    It's certainly lopsided towards the primary weapon, but they still get quite a bit more trigger time behind a pistol than an average range going citizen. Generally, rifles were a couple times a week and pistols would range from once a week to a couple times a month depending on your command and other training necessities.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t
    Agreed, ASSUMING this $400 class is actually going to make them a better shooter than simply getting to a range and practicing ;)

Like I said upthread, the class just teaches the skill, it's up to the student to learn and practice it. :)

People can go to the range and practice all their lives and never get better. (...and, of course, people can go to a bad class and pay good money to spend a weekend pumping lead into the berm without learning anything. There's a lot of caveat emptor in the training industry.)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Like I said upthread, the class just teaches the skill, it's up to the student to learn and practice it. :)

People can go to the range and practice all their lives and never get better. (...and, of course, people can go to a bad class and pay good money to spend a weekend pumping lead into the berm without learning anything. There's a lot of caveat emptor in the training industry.)
    Agreed :yesway:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

I would as add that one can attend Classes, and never practice between them as well.

Not to mention how broad and all encompassing of a word training is...

Training for you might just mean critiquing or training you current shooting form for better performance. Training might mean learning to shoot one of the Sport Disciplines. Training might mean Self-Defense and the legalities of said actions. Training might mean that the Zombies are about to overrun you. Training might be tea/squad/platoon based TTP (Tactics, Techniques, and Procedures), Training might be at the Company/Battalion/Brigade size on a more Strategic level...

One of My problems in attending training is I prefer TTP for Combat Driven Scenarios for Squad/Platoon and Larger Groups. :popcorn:

Top Bottom