• esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ways to Better Afford Firearms Training
    by esrice

According to a 2011 INGO poll, 55% of respondents picked "Can't afford it" as their top reason for not taking firearms training classes.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...t_you_take_any_firearms_training_classes.html

As someone who has enjoyed the many benefits of taking firearms training classes, I'd like to share some of my experience and give INGOers some ideas on ways they can afford it.

The Cost of Training

Training is expensive-- no bones about it. My goal here isn't to tell you that its not expensive, but rather to give you some ways to better afford it.

As an example, let's say I wanted to take a 3-day defensive pistol course from Training Company XYZ out in Arizona. Taking this class is going to require a big investment-- especially if I'm new to firearms in general.

$500 - Pistol
    $50 - Holster
    $25 - Mag pouch
    $40 - Gun belt
    $80 - Spare magazines
    $250 - 1k rounds of ammo

$600 - 3-day defensive pistol course
    $500 - Round-trip airfare
    $300 - Hotel for 3 nights

So, based on these very rough figures, that's a minimum investment of $2,345 to get you 3-days of professional training. :eek: And the price would continue to go up if you jumped to carbine or precision rifle training, or if you took a longer course farther away.

Now I can't really help you when it comes to that first category of expenses. Typically those are things we already have anyway. Its in the second category where you can really find some savings if you're smart about it.

Burning the Candle at Both Ends

There are two ways to better afford training-- 1) cut down on the cost of the training itself, and 2) find creative ways to save up for the training that's within your reach.

Cutting Training Costs

So now we need to cut costs in the second category. The quickest and easiest way to accomplish this is to. . . .

Train Locally
    Finding a suitable training company that is within driving distance quickly eliminates any airfare costs, and, depending on its proximity, eliminates the hotel costs also. Sure, there will be some added gasoline cost, but by staying local you just saved yourself ~$800.

Now that we've cut our travel costs, we need to cut down that $600 tuition fee. We can do that by. . . .

Take 1-day Courses
    Single-day courses are a great way to train without breaking the bank. They aren't typically as in-depth or involved as the longer courses, but they're often a great value for your dollar. For folks whose #2 reason for not training is "Don't have the time", these are often easier to fit into your busy schedule.

Some outfits are now offering even smaller 4-hour "training blocks" at dirt cheap prices. These often cover very narrow and specific topics, but you can take them for a song.

Seek Out Unique Opportunities
    INGO is a fantastic community, and hidden inside you can often find some unique training opportunities for little to no cost. One member has offered, and continues to offer, intro-type pistol classes for FREE. Some training companies offer discounts just for being an INGO member. Others give away courses in contests, or as tuition-free scholarships to those with a special and specific need.

Do you have access to a range or training venue? Do you have contacts that do? Most trainers will offer their course gratis to those who host them and provide them with access to more students. This is a great way to exchange some leg-work on your end for no-cost training. Don't be afraid to think outside the box. Maybe you don't own a suitable shooting range, but you do have access to an area suitable for force-on-force or combatives training. If you can help provide a training company with a place to train, and people to train, they'll gladly let you participate in exchange.

Remember how I said I couldn't really help with the first category of expenses? That isn't exactly true. . . .

Cut out the Equipment Cost
    Not sure about firearms but want to test the waters without buying a gun and gear? Borrow it all from a friend. Don't have friends with guns? Get active on INGO and get some. :D Or contact the training outfit you are most interested in and inquire about loaners or rentals. Most trainers want to make a way for you to receive proper training-- if you want it, they'll work their best to make it happen.

With the advent of Simunitions, AirSoft, UTM, and other realistic marking guns, trainers can now offer force-on-force and combatives courses that require ZERO equipment from you as the student. You show up with a pen, paper, and an open mind-- they provide the rest. Combine this with a 1-day course schedule and you've got yourself a full day of training at the least amount of initial investment.

So we've now gone from a $2,345 total investment to a $150 total investment to a possible $0 total investment.

Saving for Training

Budget for Training
    This is the first and most obvious way. In the same way you'd budget for a new roof, or school supplies, or groceries, make training a priority and set aside a few bucks every week or every pay period until you have enough to train where you want to train. You didn't need that extra Big Mac anyway.

Exchange Hardware for Software
    I have to give a :nono: to the guys who say in one thread "I can't afford training", but in another say "Check out my new Wilson Combat 1911!" Its not that they can't afford it, its that they hold hardware (guns/gear) as a higher priority than software (skills). Anyone who's been on INGO for more than a day knows I love gear. But gear is useless if I don't have the skills to use it properly and safely. Its useless to me and to anyone I might have hopes and dreams of helping with it.

Go to your gun safe. Pull out that dust-laden $300 bought-on-a-whim pistol or rifle and toss it in the INGO classifieds. Take the proceeds and sign up for the class of your choosing. This is by far the easiest way for folks to quickly afford a training class, and the skills learned in that class will certainly outweigh the value of that long-forgotten gun. In fact, such a class will actually enhance the personal value of your other guns, as you will now have a better understanding of how to effectively employ each remaining one.

Above all, making training a priority in your life is the biggest step you can make toward affording training. Once its your priority, things have a way of working themselves out. Whether you take the rest of my advice or not. ;)

If anyone has questions I'd be glad to answer them based on my own experience. I kept things intentionally generalized but I can make specific recommendations for each idea expressed.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Dude, come on, it's not money. Money is the last thing on the list.

Look at the money people have for motorcycles, bass boats or tattoos.

It's about ego. If one goes to school, one may have admit that he does not know it all.

Last edited:

backfire

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 6, 2011

It's about ego. If one goes to school, one may have admit that they do not know it all.
    ^^^ Most, but not all folks this ^^^

I've taken a number of assorted pistol, rifle and gunsmithing classes, where I've learned a TON of useful information I use to my benefit every day. No chip on my shoulder here and the more one opens up their mind to learn something new, (even if they *think* they "know it all" on the subject) the more efficent you'll get and the more skilled you'll be at your craft.

One should never quit honing the arrow...

BTW- This "gun stuff" is dirt cheap, compared to the automotive racing hobby/business I just came from!!! Some of you guys' choke when you have to spend $15/day to shoot at a range- which is NOTHING compared to having spend $1800/day to rent a full-size 1/4-mile drag strip for product/validation testing.....not including transport fuel, labor hour time, maintainance, VHT, parts, ambulance services rental and a bunch of other expensive stuff!!!

You gun guys HAVE IT MADE! :)

Last edited:

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010

It's about ego. If one goes to school, one may have admit that they do not know it all.

Going to disagree (at least for me). I would love to do some training, but time and money are the issues. I work a job that requires me to work 5 out of 7 weekends, and right now I cant afford it as I have a kid on the way, and building up a good amount of cash to covers while the wifey is off work, along with all the stuff neccessary for the baby takes priority. I could care about the ego part. I know I dont know it all, and would love to better my skills, but unfortunately, Im limited on that for now...

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I note that you have left off:

1. Eating your weight in sushi in Portland.

2. Eating your weight in burritos at Mamacita's in Kerrville.

3. Buying several times your weight of ammo at Larry in Huntsville, Alabama.

4. Dude, where's the rental car?

And many other necessary and proper training expenses.:laugh:

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I know a very few gun owners who have taken more classes than the number of guns they own. There always seems to be money for guns (OMG! A NEW SHIELD WONDER PISTOL!!!! MUST HAVE ONE!!!!!!!) but training always comes last.

Mindset Lab classes are one day long for two reasons. It makes them easier to afford and it make them so you don't have to dedicate an entire weekend to taking a single class.

For most gun owners, it wouldn't matter if a class was $1 or $1,000. It isn't a priority. I gave away two free classes on the INGO 'Wheel Of SHWAG' at an Indy 1500 gun show and one guy who won one looked like someone just kicked his puppy.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Go to your gun safe. Pull out that dust-laden $300 bought-on-a-whim pistol or rifle and toss it in the INGO classifieds. Take the proceeds and sign up for the class of your choosing. This is by far the easiest way for folks to quickly afford a training class, and the skills learned in that class will certainly outweigh the value of that long-forgotten gun. In fact, such a class will actually enhance the personal value of your other guns, as you will now have a better understanding of how to effectively employ each remaining one.

Well I already cleaned out the gun safe and it is looking pretty lean in there. What is left I need to keep. Now that the wife is back to work I should have some extra money for more training and ammo.

While not a gun I do have a boat for sale. If I get that sold first thing on my list is Comprehensive Handgun Law with Guy and FoF with Shay.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

It's about ego. If one goes to school, one may have admit that he does not know it all.

I think this is true for a lot of folks. They are afraid of looking bad in front of others.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I know a very few gun owners who have taken more classes than the number of guns they own. There always seems to be money for guns (OMG! A NEW SHIELD WONDER PISTOL!!!! MUST HAVE ONE!!!!!!!) but training always comes last.

Selling a gun and using the money to buy something else other than a gun IS difficult. Shoot, lots of people frown on selling guns at all.

I've realized you need to get away from that mindset. To start out, have the bare minimum of guns. Just keep the ones that you intend to use to protect your family, and keep the ones that hold sentimental value. (mine is a .22 Magnum that my dad bought me)

I have no problem selling a gun to better myself. To prove it, I sold my first and only AR15 to buy a TREK bicycle. I've lost a bunch of weight since then, and have gone down 2 waist sizes.

I have no regrets!

hacksawfg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 8, 2012
    Hopefully not Genera
    Tell you what guys, when I get all my bills with carried over balances paid off (medical & utility), I'll try and budget time and money for training. Tell me who's got the most bang for the buck so to say, and I'll start working towards that. Right now, my budget limit is low (by that I mean "free"). I don't have a boat, extra car, motorcycle, hell I don't even own a bike - and if I did I would sell them to get out from the debts I currently have. I sold two revolvers (not the best self-defense weapons) just to buy my Sig, sold my nice Browning BP-22 (which I DID shoot) to pay bills, not selling my 2 hunting guns, because otherwise no hunting (also, graduation presents, high school and college). The only other gun I own is my youth model shotgun that I had when I was learning to hunt, and that's going to my son (been holding on to that for 26 years now).

For some people it is actually about money. As much as I'd love to do some handgun training, in all actuality I'd sell my P226 and use a shotgun before I gave up my hunting guns. I hunt every year, because that's the only time I get to see some of my uncles and cousins.

Last edited:

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    It's not exactly formal training but IDPA matches will give you quite a bit of trigger time with various defensive scenarios. The last matches I shot were a couple of years ago for $10 and about 100rds of ammo. I used to go more for the trigger time instead of the game.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I signed up for the ACT IP101 class for $65 at MCF&G where I am already a member.

Middle aged dog, taking his first class to learn some new tricks.

Training does not need to cost a ton.

I'm even contemplating taking the course with me AA kit on my Glock 27 to keep ammo cost low... but haven't decided on that part as yet.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I agree that a fair amount of shooters let their "ego" get in the way for them to take formal training. I don't think this is so much the case with military guys though. For one thing, they learned "the hard way" that it doesn't matter if you suck or not it's not reason to get embarrased and it's important to try your best regardless. On that same note, depending on their MOS a lot of them don't take a number training classes because they don't think they will learn anything new. By which I mean not to imply that they are "better trained" but rather they have been taught the "techniques" and they know that it is simply a matter of taking the time to practice and so it is difficult for some of them to quantify paying some "instructors" prices if they don't feel they are going to walk away with something other than practice.

I think it is important for civilians to take note of my first point though. It doesn't matter how good you are. Training is important and just try the best you can personally. It's not a competition with each other, it's simply meant to make yourself more effective. They shouldn't be paying attention to how good or bad someone else is. If anything, they should only pay attention to others to pick up better techniques and other tips.

Anyhow, good idea for a write up Esrice. Hope it helps some people to seek and obtain training they desire. And I certainly agree that there are opportunities for very cheap or free training out there if you search. I'll be taking about half a dozen people to the range in the next couple weeks to teach them the basics and spark their interest in the firearms community for free myself. Hopefully, it will get a few more people to "jump the fence" and join the 2nd amendment community of responsible gun owners. Of course, only time will tell but for many people teaching isn't about financial gain. If one truly wants training, search for it. Post ads, search the web, post on INGO. I'm sure one will always find someone willing to assist them in learning whatever they want to learn. I have been confronted several times for training and done what I can for them; not for the money but simply to help. I don't feel that one should try to "put a price on another's safety" by charging for teaching them how to protect themselves.

Last edited:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'll be taking about half a dozen people to the range in the next couple weeks to teach them the basics and spark their interest in the firearms community for free myself.

Very nice! I'm lucky to now have co-workers with experience similar to yours that I can train with now. I've backed off of the gun games a bit to gear up and start participating. Also motivated to get myself back in to shape so I can get even better.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    [
    Train Locally
    Finding a suitable training company that is within driving distance quickly eliminates any airfare costs, and, depending on its proximity, eliminates the hotel costs also. Sure, there will be some added gasoline cost, but by staying local you just saved yourself ~$800.

I like the idea of training locally. But I'd also like to see a list of all of the Trainers that advertise here along with a list of their qualifications and experience. Did they just go to Gunsite once and decide to teach? Are they ex-military or LEO, or just students of other trainers?

Let me tell you why I ask. INGO recently started supporting a couple who apparently went to a Fighting Pistol class. They've also made several YouTube vids of themselves running and gunning.

It's all pretty cool, but now people are asking for advice on their channels as if they are Hailey or Costa....

Top Bottom