• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It warms my heart when my 2 year old daughter asks, unprovoked if she can see some of my guns.

I've been talking about safety with her for the past 6 months and we watch the Eddie Eagle safety video every couple of weeks. Tonight she came barging into our bedroom and said, "can I see your gun Daddy?"

"Well heck yes" I said, while practically running to the safe. We started with a snubbie which she has handled before. I showed her the open cylinder and how it spins. We learned about the barrel and muzzle and why you should never point it at people.

At one point she said the gun was "beautiful" and asked to see "nother one."

We coonfingered a Glock 19 for a few minutes in full slide lock so I could show her how the magazine went into the chamber. She didn't call the Glock beautiful. No surprise there.

After a few minutes she got bored and ran off when the Bernstein Bears came on the TV.

I'm just glad she's taking an early interest in guns. She'll be 3 next month. I'm hoping she'll be ready to go shooting with me by the time she's 5. I can't wait.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It warms my heart when my 2 year old daughter asks, unprovoked if she can see some of my guns.

I've been talking about safety with her for the past 6 months and we watch the Eddie Eagle safety video every couple of weeks. Tonight she came barging into our bedroom and said, "can I see your gun Daddy?"

"Well heck yes" I said, while practically running to the safe. We started with a snubbie which she has handled before. I showed her the open cylinder and how it spins. We learned about the barrel and muzzle and why you should never point it at people.

We coonfingered a Glock 19 for a few minutes in full slide lock so I could show her how the magazine went into the chamber. She didn't call the Glock beautiful. No surprise there.

After a few minutes she got bored and ran off when the Bernstein Bears came on the TV.

I'm just glad she's taking an early interest in guns. She'll be 3 next month. I'm hoping she'll be ready to go shooting with me by the time she's 5. I can't wait.

Cant wait for Kirk to see that! :faint:

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    I am a father of an 8 month old son and my wife is pregnant with another that is due in January (I couldn't keep her off me). This is what I'm looking forward to the most about being a father. I can't wait till I can teach my son how to shoot, and then how to shoot better than me, and then to start giving him some cool guns for his own.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Done this with my grand kids, We start with the safety talk and then move on to the looking. The 5 yr old is about ready to try out the chipmunk.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    My 16-year-old son and I have bonded over shooting in ways I'm quite thankful for. I came into ownership a bit later in life, not having grown up around firearms. Anyway, my son and I have always had sports in common, and this has given us a new way to spend great time together, especially when he's at an age where I otherwise might not have been cool to hang around with. :)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

That's cool.

Someday, maybe she'll come in there and ask: "Can we go shooting today, dad?"

My kids have gotten big and almost moved out of the house...when they ask, it's hard to be too busy to stop and shoot a few with them.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Mine are 5 and 8. Two rules: 1: you dont touch them if you find them (not that they are ever out and unlocked). 2: If you want to see them, I will never say no. (within reason, unless we are on the way out somewhere, etc but that has never been an issue)

Bigphil5000

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    Columbus
    My Wife is pregnant now with our first child ( a boy ). I can't wait for this bonding experience. I think that no age is to young for gun education. I also can't wait to see the look on his face when I tell him "some day these will all be yours"

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    My brother-in-law got a Slidefire and we were playing around with it. When I came back in the house, my four-year-old daughter goes, "You shootin' guns, daddy?"

My oldest is starting 4-H next year, looking forward to that as well.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    That's Awesome.

I have to warn you when they are older.
    When they jump in your lap and whack their hip in your gun and say "what's that?"
    Do Not answer with - "Ouch, you just hit daddy's Glock" or something similar. Especially in public.

You see - Glock rhymes with C*** and it sound real bad.

My girls are teenagers now and I still catch myself saying it. Their little friends get a kick out of it. :xmad:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's Awesome.

When they jump in your lap and whack their hip in your gun and say "what's that?"
    Do Not answer with - "Ouch, you just hit daddy's Glock" or something similar. Especially in public.

My girls are teenagers now and I still catch myself saying it. Their little friends get a kick out of it. :xmad:

Good reason to switch to 1911's...in such a case, maybe someone would only catch the 19 part or the 11 part and would be suitably impressed.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I purchased a GSG-522 this past April for my 17y/o Daughter to plink with. Her first response was "cool", then she said....I'd rather have a Glock. Don't ask me where she got that idea from, as I have no glocks in this house. She has since fired everything in my arsenal and has proclaimed that the AR was her favorite rifle, and my SR-22 was her favorite pistol.

She turns 18 this coming January....and she's severely hinting towards a Glock. I still shudder every time I hear that.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    That's Awesome.

She's bumped into the gun a few times already. I'll have to keep this advice handy, as I sure don't want to cause any confusion in public.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    My son is 19 months old. His favorite toy right now is my crappy ultralight bait fish rod. I hope to get him started seeing firearms before too long. I dont want him ro be curious about them in the wrong way. Thanks for the info.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Great post.
    lil kids really are like spinges. My son (2 y.o.) instinctually knows how to point a rifle and even little toy guns (for bubbles, etc.). I don't think he's ever seen me handle a rifle, and we don't watch anything like G.I. Joe yet...

I look forward to taking him shooting after we get a lot more hands on safety. I'll check out the Eddie the Eagle videos, I've only seen the books before.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    That's awesome, it's always good when young'ns take an interest in firearms, and even better when they have someone to teach them safety, function, operation, etc. It won't be long before you guys are out shooting together, a few years goes by fast with kids.

Top Bottom