• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been thinking about buying a boat quite a bit lately. I love to fish but haven't been able to in a couple of years and I'd like to be able to when I have the time. I hate fishing from shore and with the limited fishing opportunities (lack of water) in Indiana I'm having a difficult time deciding if it's a wise decision. I'm not looking to spend thousands, mainly because I don't have the money. A dream boat would be a relatively deep V aluminum Lund capable of navigating a river and maybe putting in on Erie. Realistically I'm probably looking at a smaller V hull, I've got a 5hp motor that I left up in Canada a few years ago that I should be getting back in the next couple of months.

I live about ten minutes from Geist so that'd be a pretty easy and quick put in. I'm just not sure if there's enough quality fishing opportunities to justify the purchase. Any opinions? Any other small boat owners who can shed some light on decent spots I may not be aware of? I like fishing for bass but I don't care to eat them. I love eating crappie, walleye and bluegill but the eyes and gills have to be pretty decent size before I'll mess with cleaning them. Never been much on catfish (catching or eating) and I'll "fish" for carp as long as I can do it with my bow. Smallies are awesome to fish for and I'd love to be able to head up north for steelhead at some point (never caught one).

Thoughts?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Sadly, no, no help. We are considering a pontoon so not quite the same focus. I think the considerations for purchase make sense. You can find the water if you really want to. Monroe never seems to lack for fishermen. Seems like the big issue is if you would have the time and use it to fish.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    At one time the launch fees at Geist were shocking. Of course, I guess you folks that live in that vicinity are pretty used to throwing a money trail everywhere you go anyway. :):

Probably not what you had in mind, but I'd recommend a fishing oriented kayak or canoe. Fish the quieter electric motor only lakes. Get into spots you couldn't with a bigger boat. In and out and loaded fast. A LOT more time fishing. A LOT more trips when you know you can do it without a huge plan that will suck up most of the day nearly every time.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Just had a flashback when I took a good friend and his family to Lake Erie. First time they went up with me and I thought great, the kids are going to get to watch this old drunk die and then see us retrieve his body from the rocks. He lived. Not sure how you define Lake Erie but a boat that can safely handle even near shore will cost thousands just to get enough length and HP to get by semi-safely.

Lund is like Harley to Jap bikes, you pay more for the name. For me personally a Do all boat is an 18' guide boat with a 50hp tiller. It will zoom along, go in skinny water, handle some waves without getting too wet and can comfortably fish 3 with a fair amount of gear in the boat. Great for casting or trolling, they are dedicated fishing/blood and guts boat, tons of them used up north, not so many down south. Buy in Fall for best price but I have seen a ton of deals even now.

we could talk for days about features and uses.

Last edited:

sportsman223

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Passing on Doe's
    I fish out of a lund 1650 rebel with a 60Hp honda on it, lots of good used boats out there just take your time one will turn up. I have owned crestliner and alumacraft. The lund has the best ride and the most stable in rough water in my opinion. The only way there not worth the money is if they sit in the garage. Mine is out usually twice a week as soon as ice is out until mid-october. Lots of good lakes in In and Ky is not that far away

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    For what it's worth, I fish out of an 8' Jon Boat. Granted, I only go on lakes where there is a speed limit.

You old folks wouldn't like it, to much rowing, might tear something. :D

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Break

Out

Another

Thousand

Had boats. Loved the boats. Boats need money. Just like any hobby they are constantly wanting a new "Accessory". So many freaking boats on the water. Out of state plates fill the lots using Indiana lakes.
    Boats are fun. Get one if you feel the need.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Cliche time:

The two best days in a boat owner's life are 1) they day he buys it, and 2) the day he sells it.

A boat is a hole in the water you throw your money into.

Now that the cliches are done:

Do your wallet a big favor and shop used. Just like in RV shopping - you can save THOUSANDS by looking at 2-3-4 year old boats. That money saved on the purchase can go to repair and maintenance! Win-Win!

Colt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2009
    Dearborn County
    OP, you and I think alike. I had a 16' I/O for 15 years but found it a chore to tow, launch, maintain, and keep the inside protected from the sun and rain. I now have a 14' bare aluminum deep V. It is easy to tow and launch. It goes at least 3 times farther than the I/O on a gallon of gas, important to me because I put at least 50 hours and 500 miles on it each season. It is almost as seaworthy as the I/O and is rated 5 adults, only 1 less the I/O. The rain and sun can't hurt it. It is shallow draft so I can go places the I/O couldn't. With all its advantages, I use it a whole lot more than the I/O. Pick the size of the motor and boat and brands that meet your needs. Looking for a bargain in a used boat is also a good idea.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I have a 16' flat bottom jon boat that I picked up last year on the cheap. I started the tear out and restoration last year, used it and now it is sitting waiting for the next set of mods. Last fall, I traded an extra trolling motor for a 15 hp Johnny that is in great shape. In the next week or so (once I get the mulch laid), I will be building it like I want it. All aluminum decking, rod storage, gear storage, etc.

If you haven't checked out www.tinboats.net you should. A lot of ideas on taking a "beater" jon boat and customizing it. Good luck, shop around and you will find "the one."

Harry2110

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have a 16' flat bottom jon boat that I picked up last year on the cheap. I started the tear out and restoration last year, used it and now it is sitting waiting for the next set of mods. Last fall, I traded an extra trolling motor for a 15 hp Johnny that is in great shape. In the next week or so (once I get the mulch laid), I will be building it like I want it. All aluminum decking, rod storage, gear storage, etc.

If you haven't checked out www.tinboats.net you should. A lot of ideas on taking a "beater" jon boat and customizing it. Good luck, shop around and you will find "the one."

Why a 15hp and not sell it and get a 10hp as that prevents use on the cheaper lakes in town ie eagle creek and youll have to over all the cruisers at geist and morse and pay the ridiculous launch fee which now is like 30 on weekends.

Top Bottom