I think I scared the Jehovah's Witnesses...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    let them know how you feel about their religion and I guarantee there will be an about face on how they treat you

I don't think most people of any group respond well to negative characterizations of their religion. Try telling a bunch of Baptists or Catholics you think they are all members of a depraved cult some time; I bet you get a negative reaction out of them too.

And my neighbors are not just hypocritical "smiling facade" type people. They are decent honest hard working helpful genuinely nice folks. I have known of situations where they were honest and helpful to other people, much to their own cost, where a lot of people would have said that they'd be justified in behaving selfishly.

If they are faking some kind of scam to fool me, I would again say I'd be happy to have a whole neighborhood full of people faking and scamming and fooling me the way these people are.

I'm sorry for whatever negative experiences you have had, but you are really coming across very nasty about a whole group of people.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I don't think most people of any group respond well to negative characterizations of their religion. Try telling a bunch of Baptists or Catholics you think they are all members of a depraved cult some time; I bet you get a negative reaction out of them too.

And my neighbors are not just hypocritical "smiling facade" type people. They are decent honest hard working helpful genuinely nice folks. I have known of situations where they were honest and helpful to other people, much to their own cost, where a lot of people would have said that they'd be justified in behaving selfishly.

If they are faking some kind of scam to fool me, I would again say I'd be happy to have a whole neighborhood full of people faking and scamming and fooling me the way these people are.

I'm sorry for whatever negative experiences you have had, but you are really coming across very nasty about a whole group of people.

I never said anything about them being mean but just know it is a facade because it is doctrine to keep "worldly" people at arms length. and by all means enjoy the relationship you have with them if you like them. I'm just warning you not to go any further unless you want tangled up in that web. just a little friendly advice coming from experience.

eears

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    A polite "thank you, I'm not interested", would work wonders with the JW's and the mormons.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    At the same time I wish people did not feel the religious need to think that they only road to salvation is their own.

I think there is a religion exactly like you are describing but for myself I don't much go for political parties.

These people get on my nerves.

muslim11.jpg

Witness's, Babtists, the Amish, what ever, I'm pretty understanding. Most none of those guys bother me any, in fact I've never met an Amish guy I wouldn't be glad to call a friend or a JW. I'm sure there are some they are just people like any one else but I can't say I've met them yet.

kevinm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Charlestown
    One thing that kills me about JW is they will not take blood if the need it , they would rather die. I don't know about JW god but mine would like for me to get blood if I need it. :patriot::patriot:

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    One thing that kills me about JW is they will not take blood if the need it , they would rather die. I don't know about JW god but mine would like for me to get blood if I need it. :patriot::patriot:

They say that but I wonder how many would stick to it behind closed doors in an emergency room.

I have respect for anyone who gives up something for God, whether it is modern technology like the Amish or blood transfusions like JW's but stick to it. There are a lot of German Baptists around me and they don't have tv or radio. There are lots of stories about them getting a hotel for a weekend and doing nothing but watching tv. Chances are your friends won't find out but do you really think you are hiding that from God?

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    well if you look at their up to date literature this no blood policy is really no longer the case. JW's are allowed to take "blood fractions" I.E. components of blood, but they say it is a "conscious decision" meaning they really don't want you to. case in point, try having leukemia at 15 when your mother is a JW;)

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    If you're a property owner and you don't want to deal with salespeople, solicitors or proselytizers of any flavor, just post a sign to that effect. Make your own or buy one; they're out there.

If any of them ignore it and bother you, notify the PD and sign a complaint. If you've posted the notice, they're willfully trespassing and they can be prosecuted.

Polite folks will take the hint and leave you alone. And you have an effective and nonviolent means of making those who aren't wish they had been, if they need it.

When you think about it, our time is the only capital we have and it's finite. Nobody is "entitled" to usurp one second of it, no matter what their personal agenda might be, against our will. We don't owe any of them explanation, justification or apology for wanting to be left in peace. If they haven't the common courtesy to respect my posted request that they do so, let 'em explain it to a judge.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    lmao...i am considered an idol worshiper because i wear a cross around my neck!

as for the flag issue,i found this on their webpage:

Nationalism
    Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to salute the flag of any nation, recite the pledge of allegiance, stand for or sing the national anthem, run for public office, vote, or serve in the armed forces.

And our Military is better for the fact that they can not serve... Pansies! :patriot:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    When I was about 10 a nice man in a clean white shirt knocked on our door.
    I went to the door and he asked me if My parents were home . I told him that my Dad was in the back yard but he shouldn't go back there. He didn't heed my advice . My Dad was trying to get the lawn mower started and wasn't having much luck, he was also about half-way through his saturday case of Falls City. I ran as fast as I could to the back screen door . My Dad was of course cussing this lawnmower like there was no tomorrow. I got to the door just in time to Hear this young man tell my father that he was "going to hell " . My Dad who admittedly had a temper in those days let lose a string of profanity at this man that instantly made me giggle and the look on this guys face was priceless. My Dad started to advance on him all the while telling him what he thought of organized religion and people who trespassed on his property only to tell him he was going to hell. The last sentence Went something like this " I know that I am going to go to hell if you don't leave my property immediatley because if you don't I will kill you where you stand "
    He left quickly and my Dad heard me laughing so I had to go help him push mow our whole yard about 2.5 acres.
    I don't know what denomination he was but I did tell him not to go back there.:dunno:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I will step outside and have a debate or haggle with most anyone who cares to come peddling. My wife has caught me peering out the window with anticipation, pining for battle, only to watch them hit the neighbors and walk right past our drive. I think some of these groups must be networking with each other.

She usually hands me the next telemarketer who calls to cheer me up.:)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    A friend of mine has told me several times that answering the door in your boxers with a 45 in your hand would get you on their "do not call" list.

now that sounds like an idea I can handle, lol

I've already got my own religion and know I'm going to heaven. I don't need them to try to push theirs onto me.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    lmao...i am considered an idol worshiper because i wear a cross around my neck!

as for the flag issue,i found this on their webpage:

Nationalism

Jehovah’s Witnesses are not allowed to salute the flag of any nation, recite the pledge of allegiance, stand for or sing the national anthem, run for public office, vote, or serve in the armed forces.

That is just UN-American. Can we round them all up and ship them back to the land of Jehovah?

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    No expert here, but I don't think they care all that much about converting us, though I am sure they would be happy with any converts they get. What they are concerned about is fulfilling their duty to try. Their salvation is all about working to show God how serious you are. I like the concept of grace a whole lot better.

Yes, grace is good.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    they visited our house 2day

930 am and i work midnights so i bet i was just as pleasant as could be this morning. they are lucky the wife got to the door before i could. i did like the look on their faces when i said quite loudly and with intent to the wife to tell were are satan worshippers and close the darn door... he he. 10 seconds later they were leaving my porch.. at least i thought it was funny..wake me up .

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    A couple of the coolest, nicest guys I know are JW who serve as ministers at their church. I took tennis lessons off of both of them (they are cousins) and had many religious and philosophical conversations with them, especially the eldest. Not once did either try to tell me that I was somehow going to hell for being Catholic and both were very open to differing ideas. I have never met anyone in my life who knows more about the bible than Jon (I will refrain from using his real name). He was raised a Catholic but converted to JW as an adult. Regardless of religious affiliation, I have the utmost respect for the man. He is very involved in volunteering and has a really nice family. Don't let the beliefs of a few hardcore crazies lead to to assume that all are that way.

Top Bottom