I pick up this Colt SAA but I can't find out any info on it, HELP..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr.Midnight

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Monroe County
    That is a very nice piece you picked up. I wish I could help you out with some information. My suggestion would be to get on the Colt Forum see if anyone can give you some background. There are some guys on there that really know their stuff. They might be able to help you out on a rare gun like this.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Found this in Blue Book of Gun Values, if this is what you have you look to have a very rare bird. Congrats and best of luck in your quest for more info.
    Please keep us posted, depending on what you paid you may have hit the jackpot. Link here is page text below was lifted from.
    Blue Book of Gun Values - COLT'S MANUFACTURING COMPANY, LLC FACTORY COMMEMORATIVES & SPECIAL/LIMITED EDITIONS

1976 BICENTENNIAL SAA FREEDOM COLTS
    consisted of A, B, and C sets, set As were engraved, Bs had gold work and accessories, Cs were similar to Bs, but had shoulder stock. Set A prices averaged $1,500-$3,000 in 1976, set B prices varied between $3,500-$20,000, and set C prices started at $5,000. Total mfg. was 4 set As, 6 set Bs, and 1 set C. These sets in today's marketplace are too rare to accurately evaluate and pricing is literally "what the market will bear."

Last edited:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Found this in Blue Book of Gun Values, if this is what you have you look to have a very rare bird. Congrats and best of luck in your quest for more info.
    Please keep us posted, depending on what you paid you may have hit the jackpot. Link here is page text below was lifted from.
    Blue Book of Gun Values - COLT'S MANUFACTURING COMPANY, LLC FACTORY COMMEMORATIVES & SPECIAL/LIMITED EDITIONS
    1976 BICENTENNIAL SAA FREEDOM COLTS
    consisted of A, B, and C sets, set As were engraved, Bs had gold work and accessories, Cs were similar to Bs, but had shoulder stock. Set A prices averaged $1,500-$3,000 in 1976, set B prices varied between $3,500-$20,000, and set C prices started at $5,000. Total mfg. was 4 set As, 6 set Bs, and 1 set C. These sets in today's marketplace are too rare to accurately evaluate and pricing is literally "what the market will bear."

Wow. That is interesting, thanks for posting! I never knew Colt had issued so many commemoratives through the years.

I am still confused; the OP's revolver has "Freedom Colt" engraved on the backstrap, no doubt about that, but the "Walt Whitman" stuff is puzzling. It seems the Blue Book would list it as a "Walt Whitman 1976 Freedom Colt, " or something. But then again, maybe I am over analyzing the whole thing. ???
    I'm wondering where else the item is marked "Colt?" I'm not seeing a Colt logo anywhere. Am I overlooking it?

The "A Copyrighted Product of "Dwain J. Wright" also puzzles me. I am thinking this is not an authentic "Colt" release.

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    "Total mfg. was 4 set As, 6 set Bs, and 1 set C. These sets in today's marketplace are too rare to accurately evaluate and pricing is literally "what the market will bear.""

This is puzzling too, since the OP's gun says "Set A, No. 2 of 20"... :scratch: Unless one set A contained 20 pistols, and they made 4 sets of 20... that would make sense I guess. At any rate, it's a beauty! :drool:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Wow. That is interesting, thanks for posting! I never knew Colt had issued so many commemoratives through the years.

I am still confused; the OP's revolver has "Freedom Colt" engraved on the backstrap, no doubt about that, but the "Walt Whitman" stuff is puzzling. It seems the Blue Book would list it as a "Walt Whitman 1976 Freedom Colt, " or something. But then again, maybe I am over analyzing the whole thing. ???
    I'm wondering where else the item is marked "Colt?" I'm not seeing a Colt logo anywhere. Am I overlooking it?

The "A Copyrighted Product of "Dwain J. Wright" also puzzles me. I am thinking this is not an authentic "Colt" release.

My interpretation of this was that the little piece on the plaque about Walt Whitman was the work of this Dwain J. Wright.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    My interpretation of this was that the little piece on the plaque about Walt Whitman was the work of this Dwain J. Wright.

Hmm. Yes. Very possible, indeed. STILL: I would like to see a pic of the official "Colt" trademark, or the rearing horse somewhere on this firearm, box, literature, etc.

Last edited:

csm47362

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    New Castle, IN

I did post it on the engravers cafe as well and I found out that Dwain Wright was a Master Engraver that Colt used back in the 70's, but I have found out little more.

Thanks for of the input.

Top Bottom