I need to start Carrying a Spare Magazine...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    i carry my handgun IWB, but my spare mag is carried in a single mag pouch paddle holster by fobus. this works great for me and even if it does show a little it looks like a cell phone holder.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    Yeah, but your extra mag is a 30 round Glock mag! :D

Just turn that dog of yours loose on them, and I don't mean that sweet little girl Bullmastiff either. :laugh:

Ha! Bad guy deterrent is the only reason I keep that dog around. I'm sure the bull would just sit there and look at them!

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Ok, so, just to recap. I need the following
    Bandoleer
    man purse
    Plate armor
    Armored car
    Raven concealment dbl mag pouch with 33 round GLOCK 9mm
    Candy so I don't freak out the children......
    anything else? :D

P.S. I really do appreciate those who tried to answer my question and Reps incoming soon as I can.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Some good tips on carrying a spare mag.

My thought is that the percentages just don't require it.

Chance that I'll ever have draw my weapon = 1 in 1000.
    Chance that I'll ever have to fire my weapon = 1 in 10 instances of having to draw
    Chance that I'll have to expend more than 17rds = 1 in 100 instances of having to fire OR
    Chance that my carry piece will have a malfunction = 1 in 1000 instances of having to fire (1 failure in a 1000 rounds, a pretty conservative estimate, really considering that a not all failure require a mag change, just tap rack bang)

So we're looking at about a literally 1 in a million chance of having to fire more than 17rds, and 1 in 10 million of having a malfunction.

If that kind of probability requires that I carry another mag, I should also start carrying a lightning rod. Chances of being struck by lightning are estimated something along the lines of 1:700,000.

Look at all the people who still play the lottery. :D
    I'll stick with having a couple extra mags on me.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm good with my 12+1. I highly doubt I'm going to wind up in a shoot out. I'm not a cop. Besides if you get confronted by more then one person, and they all have a weapon. You better shoot straight, and be quick on the draw. Now if I go to Greenwood, or Indy I will carry one extra mag. Just because of the distance from home.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I'm good with my 12+1. I highly doubt I'm going to wind up in a shoot out. I'm not a cop. Besides if you get confronted by more then one person, and they all have a weapon. You better shoot straight, and be quick on the draw. Now if I go to Greenwood, or Indy I will carry one extra mag. Just because of the distance from home.

If you have a malfunction a spare mag could save your life. Just saying. :twocents:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    If you're not faster than the bad guy, a vest could save your life. (especially if you're fiddling with your mags) How many folks here wear those?

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    I suppose you don't have a spare tire either.
    After all what are the odds?
    Each of us will live within our comfort level.
    Many here must have never been Boy Scouts huh? :D

Marine Corps. It's kinda like the Boy Scouts, only with a better marksmanship merit badge :D

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    So, here is the deal. I'm one of those guy who carries a gun but no spare mag. I have noticed it as the next weakness I want to knock out of my carry system.

Now, here is my problems:
    1. I'm a concealed type of person. I carry a CBST and they no longer make IWB mag carriers.
    2. The only pocket I have free is my rear weak side pocket. I always wear jeans.

So, I need recommendations and preferably pictures of your concealed mag rigs is they are in pocket or IWB.

Thank you for your time my :ingo: brothers.

P.S. I have been looking at raven concealment for my butt pocket but are they confortable to sit on, does that mag show outside the top of the pocket. Do they bend with the body? Can you fit 2 mags in 1 rear jean pocket?

Edited for details: I have been looking at a phantom double or single for a double stack XD40 mag.

Haven't read through all the posts but take you CB to an Amish upholstery guy and explain to him what you want. I'm sure he can fashion a leather pouch that sits just forward of your gun.:twocents:

Top Bottom