• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    OK, here's my deal, I am diabetic and need some good wearing boots so my feet aren't getting messed up breaking them in. Second I have an insert to even up the length of my legs, surgeries and back troubles have made it apparent that I need this stuff. I would prefer to pull them on rather than have laces to tie, that or maybe velcro closures to make it easier on me to put on the boots. I am not complaining nor looking for pity but my back issues cause me to consider just how long I wind up all bent over just putting on my shoes/boots. The easier it is for me, the less time I take catching my breath and getting myself straightened back out so I can actually walk again. The insole I have is easy to put into any sort of shoe or boot, even works with sandals so adding it isn't a big deal. I have wide feet, depending on the make I take either a 12 EE or a 13 E so some makers don't make boots for me. Also note I would wear these year round so these aren't just a winter boot thing so they need to stay comfortable even when it's hot outdoors.

So with all of this in mind, I hope to be able to find some decent boots before winter comes.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    This may be easier said than done around here, but there are still people that makes custom shoes and boots in this world, and if anyone is a prime candidate for that, it sounds like you may be. I know of a guy out in Everett, WA that makes and repairs high end leather hiking and climbing boots. Someone like him might well be worth it for you.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have considered custom made boots. Not sure how pricey they can be but I would pay it if they were worth it to me. They can be repaired and resoled for years too which makes the extra money worthwhile in the long run savings.

I also will check out the links metaldog gave me. I am Type II but mine set in in my early 30's so it has been twent years of dealing with it so far. I was once all about bare foot walking and running. So making the transition hasn't been easy for me. It is ridiculously hard for me to remember to put on shoes when leaving the house just to walk around the yard or to fetch the mail. My calluses also made horrible trouble for me as the skin on my fet dried out and started to split. Without getting too graphic it took two years of moisturizing and peeling to remove them and make it possible for me to walk at all. I never thought that thirty years of being bare foot would make such a horible mess of my feet in the end since it always made me feel better in general.

So I really want a nice pair of boots so that I don't need to worry that much about my feet anymore. Can anyone who has worn them tell me how comfortable the Army's Desert Boots are and how easy they are to put on? They eem to me to be a nice boot from what I've read but I would like to know from those who have worn them if this is so.

rockhoppper, your PM box is full... can you send e contact info for the bootmaker you know?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a pair of marine RAT boots that are great. There was no break in and they are easy to get. I broke my foot pretty bad a few years ago and never went to the Dr. to get it fixed and it has bothered me ever since, but when i wear these i can barely tell i ever had any problems. I have worn the army desert boots and they were pretty good but my old slip ones were more comfortable. I cant recommend the rat boots enough LAPG has them on closeout for $40 i think.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    My suggestion would be danner boots of some sort. been wearing them for the past 8 years or so and i cant say enough about them. The Rat boots definitely aren't my favorite out there and i can guarantee you aren't finding danner rat boots for 40 bucks. The danners will last for years and years and require minimal break in. Plus if you know a good cobbler you can have them permanently change the height of one of the soles so you dont have use inserts.

These are what i bought my mother who was wearing boots out every 6 months. she has had these for a little over a year now and LOVES them.
    Danner - Danner® Light II™ Dark Brown Hiking Boots - Boots

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    Plus if you know a good cobbler you can have them permanently change the height of one of the soles so you dont have use inserts.

These are what i bought my mother who was wearing boots out every 6 months. she has had these for a little over a year now and LOVES them.
    Danner - Danner® Light II™ Dark Brown Hiking Boots - Boots
    BONUS! :rockwoot:

I prefer brown boots too, did I mention that? Thanks for the link and I am seriously going to check out Danner Books.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    BONUS! :rockwoot:

I prefer brown boots too, did I mention that? Thanks for the link and I am seriously going to check out Danner Books.

Yup...i have had a pair of danner acadias for about 8 years now they were getting new soles ever year for awhile (i was on my feet all day on concrete and pavement). Since i've been in the Marines i've gone through 2 pairs of them. In all fairness i should still have my first pair but some dick head dropped a forklift on my foot in afghanistan and it tore the leather so i had to buy another pair. They are the only boots i'll wear now days.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    While I am not diabetic, I do have bad feet. With that said, I have found the best over the counter boots made, in the following order are, LaCross, Bates and Rocky. I own all three brands and I just tossed out a pair of LaCross hiking boots out that I have owned for over 25 years and still have a pair of their hunting boots I have had for over 30 years. None of the three brands ever needed a break-in, all wore out of the box like I owned them for years.

metaldog

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2013
    Indy

So I really want a nice pair of boots so that I don't need to worry that much about my feet anymore. Can anyone who has worn them tell me how comfortable the Army's Desert Boots are and how easy they are to put on? They seem to me to be a nice boot from what I've read but I would like to know from those who have worn them if this is so.

To answer your question... Most military boots are quite comfortable. Even full leather can be. I have, however, worn full leather that were not. Leather can get rather hot in the summer, but a good quality "wicking" sock can help with comfort in the heat. Also, military soft shaft boots, a.k.a. "jungle boots", are very comfortable, and what i wear most of the time. although, they are not well suited for wet conditions, or for winter weather. For winter. I prefer a good quality Gortex boot.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I have been wearing the Rothco tactical deployment boots in desert tan for over.a year now. They have a side .zipper to make it easier to take off so you don't have to mess with laces.

They are very light and great for the summer as well. Good ventilation.
    FORCED ENTRY DEPLOYMENT BOOT with SIDE ZIPPER / 8"- DESERT TAN:Amazon:Shoes

They are also available for amazon prime shipping if you buy them from Amazon's listing. This one had a better picture though.

I have.never tried Danner but I hear they are the best in boots. I didnt have the money though

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I've been wearing Bates since my Danner's from the military finally tore up, which has been about 7 years. For the price difference, I like the Bates better. If I were putting the same amount of miles on my boots as I was in the military, I'd definitely get Danner's again, but I'm just simply not doing that with my job now. The last 2 pairs that I've had are the side zip boots that they offer. They are extremely comfortable and lightweight. I can't really say anything bad about them since I pay right around $80 for them off of Ebay and they last me a year or two.

Men's Bates 8" Tactical Sport CT SZ @ MilitaryBoots.com

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I have been wearing the Rothco tactical deployment boots in desert tan for over.a year now. They have a side .zipper to make it easier to take off so you don't have to mess with laces.

They are very light and great for the summer as well. Good ventilation.
    FORCED ENTRY DEPLOYMENT BOOT with SIDE ZIPPER / 8"- DESERT TAN:Amazon:Shoes

They are also available for amazon prime shipping if you buy them from Amazon's listing. This one had a better picture though.

I have.never tried Danner but I hear they are the best in boots. I didnt have the money though
    I am a Prime member but I find only one listing for the boots and it isn't Prime listed...

Last edited:

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    Google P.W. Minor, its a company out of upstate New York that specialize in diabetic footwear. They are remarkably good quality and they have velcro styles available as well as the removable footbeads to allow extra room for custom orthotics and/or AFO's. They understand how dyes and chemicals used on their leathers affect diabetic skin and have a lasting system that keeps seams from creating friction wounds. I don't know if Indiana has any Pedorthists but they would be able to do custom work for you, the guy I worked for when I was in OKC charged about $550 for a made from scratch pair of boots, kinda salty but good quality. Also, if you have a history of callouses find yourself some double layer, diabetic socks to absorb the friction so you don't tear up your feet breaking them in.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    I already have the calluses under control but I don't have $500 so I would simply slip my insole into them or get a lift and glue itinto the heel like I have other shoes so my legs are evened up.

Lots of very good ideas on this one folks, thank you.

Keep them coming though, I don't get paid again for three weeks. :)

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Yeah my RATs are bates the marines cut the contact because i guess the ones with "d" in the serial number were falling apart. I got a pair with "F" in the serial# and they seem well built. I have never owned any danners but have been wearing bates since i was 12 and I am 19 now. I had some Bates "jungle" type boots that i wore everyday for five years but finally fell apart while i was helping a marine recruiter dig a hole in a bunch of gravel to get under a hanger (he locked his extension cord in the hanger at the airshow) I tore the sole off (very sad day after that i loved those boots). Whatever you do dont buy the super cheap jungle boots because break in was AWFUL it took a couple months before they were comfortable.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Yeah my RATs are bates the marines cut the contact because i guess the ones with "d" in the serial number were falling apart. I got a pair with "F" in the serial# and they seem well built. I have never owned any danners but have been wearing bates since i was 12 and I am 19 now. I had some Bates "jungle" type boots that i wore everyday for five years but finally fell apart while i was helping a marine recruiter dig a hole in a bunch of gravel to get under a hanger (he locked his extension cord in the hanger at the airshow) I tore the sole off (very sad day after that i loved those boots). Whatever you do dont buy the super cheap jungle boots because break in was AWFUL it took a couple months before they were comfortable.

Yeah the original RAT boots were made by danner...Then a contract was awarded to bates who royally dicked that one up. My Bates rat boots lasted less than a month. They gave the contract back to danner by bates basically said, "wait give us another chance we suck...sorry it wont happen again"...long story short it is sort of hit or miss between the two of them. Bates lost my business with their sorry ass attempt at the RAT boots.

With that aside my guess is you dont want, or need, a heavy boot like that or an 8" military boot. You can probably do just find with a good soled well made 6" which will be lighter and easier on your back when wearing them all day plus easier and faster to lace.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Bates suck. I can't get a pair to last me more than a couple of months. I've done everything from breaking zippers, soles coming unglued, worn completely through the sole, etc.....

IMO, the sole needs stitched on if you plan on wearing a duty boot very long. Zippers are a nice feature, but will often fail at the worse time. Danner makes a great boot. I've also had good luck with Rocky's duty boot as long as the sole is stitched on, although they tend to be pretty heavy.

This is a totally different direction, but you might give them a look:
    Chameleon 4 Stretch ? Slip into Flexible Hiking Footwear for Men from Merrell - #stocknumber#
    waterproof version:
    Waterproof Men?s Hiking Shoes ? Order Merrell?s Chameleon 4 Stretch Waterproof - #stocknumber#
    Probably the most comfortable all terrain shoe I've ever worn. I'd say I've probably had around 4 pairs over the years. They slip on, tighten with a pull of a chord, and wrap around your foot. Plus they have a Vibram sole, which I've found to hold up well. I also have a large wide foot, and they fit me well.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Here is the link for prime members.
    ROTHCO DEPLOYMENT BOOT W/SIDE ZIP / 8" - DESSERT:Amazon:Shoes

It has a black leather picture but you can order desert tan. I like how it is easier to clean leather compared to suede. But leather.is horrible in the summer. My.feet just sweat.

The zipper has been flawless. The only thing that would wear out is the Velcro, but the Velcro does nothing but hide the zipper so you don't.get sand in your zipper. However I dont walk around I. the deanert.

Plenty of.better boots out there, but.these are affordable and.have lasted a year so far

Also these have a glued sole NOT stitched. So the sole will probably.fall apart in a few years. I put a bead of adhesive along the edges the day I got them. Not any damage so far.

Top Bottom