• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I need (want) a new TV for my bedroom. I've got a 32" now but I want something bigger. I've heard the electronics at Costco aren't really a good deal so I thought I'd ask the collective membership where to look? I'm not very educated on the must have specifications so any recommendations there would be appreciated as well. I'm not going to spend huge money for a top of the line model and I'm not necessarily needing one tomorrow so I can wait for a sale to get a better price.

1..2..3..GO!!!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Look at a Vizio brand. They having good quality for the price. I bought mine at Sam's club. 65 inch. I love it! Trying to single out one seller of electronics as having junk electronics doesn't really work. They all sell the same brands. The price's may vary but not usually a lot. Look for a sale. Even if you fine a in house branded electronics it's going to just be a re-brand of something else. I did consumer electronics repair for a long time. I have seen just about everything.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I did the same thing as you are wanting to do about 6 months ago. I ended up with a 40" Samsung LED smart TV for $399 from Best Buy. They had it on some random sale and the price was great for what it is.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    You may want to look at Best Buy as already mentioned as well as New Egg. New Egg is internet only, but they can and will ship just about anything. Best Buy will price match if it is the exact same model, so if you find one you like there do some price shopping. Check their website, too. I found an item on their website $50 cheaper than in-store. They gave me the discount without any hassle. Fry's will do the same, so check there as well.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    I would also suggest Best Buy. They did the price matching for us without us asking. While we were discussing whether we wanted a certain model the sales associate voluntarily was searching the web for a comparison. When we said yes to the model, he showed us 2 or 3 sites that had lower prices. They matched the lowest found ... ~$50 savings.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We bought a 39" Vizio at Sams for our bedroom, I'm thinking it was $399, but it may have been less. We've had it almost a year, and are very happy with it. We now have 4 Vizios from Sams, all bought roughly at the same time, and haven't had a problem with any of em'.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We bought a 39" Vizio at Sams for our bedroom, I'm thinking it was $399, but it may have been less. We've had it almost a year, and are very happy with it. We now have 4 Vizios from Sams, all bought roughly at the same time, and haven't had a problem with any of em'.
    The best thing about the Sam's TV's is that you can buy a multi-years extended warranty cheap. I got my Sony TV covered for 5 years when we bought it. Haven't had any issues, but it was worth the few bucks to have the peace of mind.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I did the same thing as you are wanting to do about 6 months ago. I ended up with a 40" Samsung LED smart TV for $399 from Best Buy. They had it on some random sale and the price was great for what it is.

You want to know something that really sucks? I have pretty much that exact same TV only in 48" flavor in my living room. Bought it a few years ago but it was $1500.00 back then. Had I known that I would be able to buy the same thing for less than $800 in a few years I would have stuck with my 36" tube type TV until now.

OP although I over paid for it at the time I am very happy with my Samsung LED TV. I would recommend it to anyone.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You want to know something that really sucks? I have pretty much that exact same TV only in 48" flavor in my living room. Bought it a few years ago but it was $1500.00 back then. Had I known that I would be able to buy the same thing for less than $800 in a few years I would have stuck with my 36" tube type TV until now.

OP although I over paid for it at the time I am very happy with my Samsung LED TV. I would recommend it to anyone.

We had a 36" tube tv in the bedroom, DAMN was that thing a nightmare to get out of the house! Weighed a TON! Good thing I had my teenagers around, or this ol' boy would have been in traction for a few months. :):

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I would buy at a store and stay away from anything shipped. The only reason I mention that is,last year (around Christmas) our UPS driver pulled up for our daily delivery and when he opened his back door,out falls a 32" flat screen right onto the concrete. Just a thought. Those guys are some gorillas.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Go Vizio led. Or Samsung led. I own both and love them.

remember the highest failure and most energy sucking piece is the backlight. With led they last longer and use less electricity.

And the the more you watch sports/action flicks, the higher Hertz rating you want. 60hz are cheap but they look like crap on fast motion scenes. The higher the Hz rating the better that action is going to look.

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    some places will price match online retailers - so find a TV you want (another vote for vizio - IMO best budget-priced sets you can buy) print it out, and bring it in! hell, the TV i want is 400 bucks cheaper on amazon than costco!

also if you dont need the "latest and greatest" - look around for a store that has a last-gen of something, they are typically heavily discounted.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    We had a 36" tube tv in the bedroom, DAMN was that thing a nightmare to get out of the house! Weighed a TON! Good thing I had my teenagers around, or this ol' boy would have been in traction for a few months. :):

GAWD you aren't kidding about the weight. I moved that thing from my room at my dad's place to my apartment in Florida while in school (MMI in Orlando), on the 3rd floor no less. Back to IN to an apartment, then finally into the house I currently live in before I gave it to my fiancé's sister. Luckily her BF came and got it the last time. The thing as far as I know is still running too. Can't say they didn't last.

I can't speak to their LED sets, but the plasma units are junk. I had three that failed for one reason or another way before they should have.

I have had my Samsung LED for 4? years now, if I am home the TV is on until bedtime. I can't stand absolute silence in the house. Even now I am posting on INGO but the TV is on in the other room. So it has thousands of hours on it. Not even the first hint of trouble. Comcast cable yes the TV no. I have also heard that Plasma TV no matter the brand were prone to issues.

Top Bottom