• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    a burnt coil in the morning. If you've ever smelled a burnt transformer or coil, you know exactly what smell I'm talking about.

I replaced it this morning and I can still smell it on my hands. The night shift replaced a motor and brake on a machine last night. They put a 110/240 coil on the motor brake and it's wired for 480. Needless to say, the coil didn't last very long. That, and the way the reassembled the brake, it would have never worked. I love following up on the incompetent.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    It must be the shellac they use on the windings.

The funny part is it doesn't seem to depend on size. I've burnt up impedence matching transformers the size of an eraser, and smelled fried inverter transformers for the UPS for an entire computer machine room where the thing had to be forklifted out, and they smelled the same, the only difference being in how much of the building stunk after.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I've seen small transformers melt down in cabinets that leave an oil all over everything. You can smell it in those cabinets for months.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That and there is the unique smell of a lamp ballast during melt down. The tar or whatever it is they insulate them in has a smell all of it's own.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It's the lacquer. That magnet wire lacquer. LEDs stink their own way, resistors just stink like burnt crap, electrolytic capacitors stink like little else, but that lacquer burning, that's a special smell.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Nah..nah...nah....it's magic smoke. Once the magic smoke gets out, that kills your device and stinks up the place. ;)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If you have a magic bag and are fast enough to catch the smoke you can get it back into the device and it will be fine. You can only do this one time per device....or so I am told.

There's been many times I really coulda used a magic smoke catchin' bag.:laugh:

Top Bottom