I Love The Big Brown Truck......And Mark Serbu!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    The response virtually everyone had while shooting it.
    picture-603.jpg

My Buddy James
    picture-891.jpg

And the photo that got grafted into my sig
    picture-853.jpg

And finally, when can I come over and play? :)

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Not at all. Seriously. Here's the gun in full recoil:

shooter_serbu_recoil.jpg

And here's bigcraig doing his thing... notice how little the Serbu moves, compared to 40calPUNISHER's .460 S&W...
    INGO NFA Day Sept 2009 :: MVI_0132.flv video by shooter521 - Photobucket
    You're right.
    It doesn't look like that much recoil.
    I'm not recoil sensitive but I had to put a Pachmayr Vindicator grip on mine. The hard plastic grip that is standard was Hell on my arthritis. :noway:
    Or, maybe I'd better stop shooting OO buck and slugs. :D
    Mike

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Someone clarify something for me. I thought that for the SBS to be illegal in Indiana it had to be designed to "shoot from the shoulder." As such, things like the Judge are not illegal even though they shoot shotgun shells and are short barreled.

What part of the I.C. am I missing?

The "sawed-off shotgun" part is quoted below:

IC 35-47-5-4.1
    Sawed-off shotgun
    Sec. 4.1. (a) A person who:
    (1) manufactures;
    (2) causes to be manufactured;
    (3) imports into Indiana;
    (4) keeps for sale;
    (5) offers or exposes for sale; or
    (6) gives, lends, or possesses;
    any sawed-off shotgun commits dealing in a sawed-off shotgun, a Class D felony.
    (b) The presence of a weapon referred to in subsection (a) in a motor vehicle (as defined under IC 9-13-2-105(a)) except for school buses and a vehicle operated in the transportation of passengers by a common carrier (as defined in IC 8-2.1-17-4) creates an inference that the weapon is in the possession of the persons occupying the motor vehicle. However, the inference does not apply to all the persons occupying the motor vehicle if the weapon is found upon, or under the control of, one (1) of the occupants. In addition, the inference does not apply to a duly licensed driver of a motor vehicle for hire who finds the weapon in the licensed driver's motor vehicle in the proper pursuit of the licensed driver's trade.
    (c) This section does not apply to a law enforcement officer who is acting in the course of the officer's official duties or to a person who manufactures or imports for sale or sells a sawed-off shotgun to a law enforcement agency.
    As added by P.L.1-1990, SEC.351. Amended by P.L.2-1991, SEC.107.

IC 35-47-1-10
    "Sawed-off shotgun"
    Sec. 10. "Sawed-off shotgun" means:
    (1) a shotgun having one (1) or more barrels less than eighteen (18) inches in length; and
    (2) any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.

IC 35-47-1-11
    "Shotgun"
    Sec. 11. "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Someone clarify something for me. I thought that for the SBS to be illegal in Indiana it had to be designed to "shoot from the shoulder." As such, things like the Judge are not illegal even though they shoot shotgun shells and are short barreled.

What part of the I.C. am I missing?

The Judge is not a shotgun, since it does not have a smooth bore and was not designed to be fired from the shoulder. Nor is it a "weapon made from a shotgun". It is a handgun (rifled bore) that happens to also shoot .410 ammo in addition to .45LC.

Or maybe I didn't understand what your question was? :dunno:

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    The Judge is not a shotgun, since it does not have a smooth bore and was not designed to be fired from the shoulder. Nor is it a "weapon made from a shotgun". It is a handgun (rifled bore) that happens to also shoot .410 ammo in addition to .45LC.

Or maybe I didn't understand what your question was? :dunno:

My question is: given the pictures from the OP, this "shotgun" does not appear to be designed to be fired from the shoulder. And I assume they've made it from "scratch" (ie. they didn't buy someone else's shotgun and modify it, thus not "weapon made from a shotgun"). So, it would seem this weapon would not be classified as a sawed-off shotgun in Indiana and thus would not be illegal for any owner. I assume there is some other law I am missing, right?

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    My question is: given the pictures from the OP, this "shotgun" does not appear to be designed to be fired from the shoulder. And I assume they've made it from "scratch" (ie. they didn't buy someone else's shotgun and modify it, thus not "weapon made from a shotgun"). So, it would seem this weapon would not be classified as a sawed-off shotgun in Indiana and thus would not be illegal for any owner. I assume there is some other law I am missing, right?

Actually it is neither a "shotgun" nor a "weapon made from a shotgun" it is a title II firearm classified as an AOW.

Also, it was not made from scratch but instead made from a factory pistol gripped Remington 870 by Serbu Firearms.

Not sure if this answers your questions, but if not feel free to PM or repost the question and I will try and answer it.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I get that it's an AOW from a federal perspective, but how does it escape the definition of "Sawed-off Shotgun" as defined in IC and, therefore, the restrictions Indiana places on weapons meeting that definition?

It would seem the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, though I am, admittedly, not at all well versed in this area.

Edit: Just caught it....made from a factory pistol-gripped 870...therefore not made from a shotgun as a factory pg-870 does not meet the IN definition of shotgun.

Very clever :yesway:

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I get that it's an AOW from a federal perspective, but how does it escape the definition of "Sawed-off Shotgun" as defined in IC and, therefore, the restrictions Indiana places on weapons meeting that definition?

It would seem the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive, though I am, admittedly, not at all well versed in this area.

Edit: Just caught it....made from a factory pistol-gripped 870...therefore not made from a shotgun as a factory pg-870 does not meet the IN definition of shotgun.

Very clever :yesway:

Correct. The firearm this weapon was made from is not and has never been designed to be fired from the shoulder as required by both federal and state law to be determined a shotgun. Even though this AOW shoots "shotshells" it is not and has never been a shotgun.

§ 921. Definitions

(5) The term “shotgun” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

IC 35-47-1-11
    "Shotgun"
    Sec. 11. "Shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.

Top Bottom