I know we have a lot of college students here...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Do you have any weapons? I don't consent to any searches or seizures. Where are the guns? I don't consent to any searches. Am I being detained? What crime did I commit? Tell us where the guns are. I don't consent to any searches. Duh

woody24

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2012
    Westfield
    This is a tough line. One, he hasn't done anything wrong. But on the other hand, he hasn't done anything wrong...yet.

How are people able to recognize troubled people. And the people just having a conversation.

How many people don't think anything of it, and just move on? What if the Aurora guy gave a similar tell?

Another thing I think about is what if people had the sense, like the movie Minority Report. What if someone knew the Aurora guy was going to do what he did, and went and did something about it before he could. Would that person be seen as a hero? Probably not.

I don't know. Its a really tough call. You just have to be careful of what you say I guess.

With my own personal experience, I'm an introvert. And I know that if you meet me for the first time, I'll seem quite and shut in. So I'm really sensitive to mentioning anything about guns to anyone before they really get to know me. I learned my lesson from my first employer. I had made a short film using plastic guns. I showed the Creative Director the short during my interview. After a year of working there, I found out that she was scared of me after seeing that short film, just because of my personality when I started working there. But once she got to know me, she knew I wasn't a threat to anyone. So I never show anyone that short anymore, until I feel comfortable around them.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Gotta side with the university on this one. If it came to light that they had this information and they did nothing about it there would be massive consequences.

Sucks for the student but you simply cannot say anything that can be taken the wrong way.

I know this flies in the face of innocent until proven guilty and he did not commit any crime but I cannot see any higher ed institution acting differently.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    a Bear Grylls survival knife.

Seriously, boss? Also, don't make stupid comments that morons will take the wrong way and run with it. Doesn't matter if it is a friend, family member, stranger, LEO, the guy in the bathroom at the club that washes and dries your hands...people need to stop saying stupid :poop:.

bwrin

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Anderson, IN
    hmm thats a weird topic. honestly my brother and i go to the same university and we both dorm together and we are bringing our hand guns because if something happens where i go like at VT we are not going down without a fight.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Gotta side with the university on this one. If it came to light that they had this information and they did nothing about it there would be massive consequences.

Sucks for the student but you simply cannot say anything that can be taken the wrong way.

I know this flies in the face of innocent until proven guilty and he did not commit any crime but I cannot see any higher ed institution acting differently.

So you'd be okay if I called the police, made an unprovable accusation against you, you passed psy test they gave you, you couldnt confront or defend yourself, and you lost your job.
    But it's okay, there was no other choice:xmad:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    well... awkward... I know plenty of people that illegally carried on-campuses. I always felt safer when they were in my classes. Never had to worry about crazy shooters (asian or not) if there was someone I knew with the means and ability to fight back.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008

In this case, it doesn't fly in the face of "innocent until proven guilty." There is no such thing in the area of civil commitments/immediate detentions/mental health holds or whatever they may be called around the country. You are taken in, evaluated, and things go from there. People have to watch what they say, what they post on Facebook, etc.. Joking about mass killings has to be understood to be a joke by everyone you say such things to 100% of the time.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Do you have any weapons? I don't consent to any searches or seizures. Where are the guns? I don't consent to any searches. Am I being detained? What crime did I commit? Tell us where the guns are. I don't consent to any searches. Duh

I think the only thing you left out was "Is a attorney here for me yet? I'd like to talk to him first"

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    In this case, it doesn't fly in the face of "innocent until proven guilty." There is no such thing in the area of civil commitments/immediate detentions/mental health holds or whatever they may be called around the country. You are taken in, evaluated, and things go from there. People have to watch what they say, what they post on Facebook, etc.. Joking about mass killings has to be understood to be a joke by everyone you say such things to 100% of the time.

Interesting comment so I decided to look it up in Indiana code to see how it works here.

Indiana Code 12-26-5

Looks like if the police get a warrant and A statement from a physician that they can indeed detain you for 72 hours for evaluation. As someone else posted earlier in this thread, that seems like it would be pretty easy to get into a he said she said situation and falsely accuse someone. I wonder what precautions if any police are required to take to avoid that.

Unrelated, did anyone else find it ironic that he was a grad student studying conflict resolution?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A person can get detained for threatening the president. It happens all the time. People get detained for displaying behavior that could be construed as making them a danger to others or themselves. This dude was detained for psychological evaluation and later expelled. I suppose he could get into another school.

When I became a gun owner, I accepted what I considered the additional responsibilities that came along with that. Besides learning safe habits, I figured I was to control my temper and not make rash statements or take rash actions. Where I might have escalated a situation, now I just walk away.

Life ain't fair and this kid might have gotten a raw deal, but it looks like he has learned a lesson. The legal process will sort out any wrongdoing done to him, if any.

nvb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2012
    if the university got a tip that a kid is threatening to kill a professor i think thats its fine they check it out but if its obviously not a real threat like this instance everyone should just continue about there business. kicking the kid out was a little extreme. saying i hope my professor gets hit by a bus or i could just kill him to another student after getting a bad grade might not be the best idea but it happens a lot and almost never does anyone mean it literally

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Unrelated, did anyone else find it ironic that he was a grad student studying conflict resolution?
    I don't find that ironic at all. There is a lot that colleges and universities don't really know about the real world and how it works, but they sure do write a lot of papers and do a lot of studies on the subjects.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    I don't find that ironic at all. There is a lot that colleges and universities don't really know about the real world and how it works, but they sure do write a lot of papers and do a lot of studies on the subjects.

Well then maybe he will be a case study for the class next semester.

Top Bottom