• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plague421

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Portage
    Call me crazy, but I am looking forward to purchasing a gun covered in the stuff. Just so I can remove it all, look at the gun and say " a job well done".

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    A gallon or so of kerosene, a metal bucket or large coffee can, a couple of old paint brushes, some rags and about an hour's time total. That usually includes field stripping and reassembly. Best done outdoors or in a very well-ventilated garage, as it's still an inherently messy process, but it works. If you've got access to an air compressor and a nozzle, so much the better. That really speeds up the drying-off/wipe-down time and gets all of the solvent residue outta the nooks and crannies.

I still like to use kerosene, although it isn't quite as ubiquitous as it used to be. It's fairly cheap, relatively non-toxic and isn't as nearly as volitile as most other petroleum-based solvents. It also doesn't attack most common milspec wood finishes so long as you don't soak them with it. #2 diesel will work too, but leaves more in the way of an oily residue on the metal.

Or another thought: If you're on friendly terms with an auto mechanic or shop, ask if you can use their parts washing tank. THE hot set-up as far as speed and convenience are concerned, plus you don't have the disposal problems with the used solvent you have at home.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Put the metal parts in an oven on low 150-170 and melt the goo out.

You can also put the small parts in a pan of boiling water and melt it as well.
    (use an old pan or you wife might use your end product on you)
    Do remember to dry and reoil.

It give your house a nice waxy odor. AAhhhhhh! Refreshing.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Steam is the best way of getting ALL the cosmo out of the furniture.

Take a large pot (I use my turkey fryer) and boil the water. Suspend the stock over the pot and make a tent or something out of a tarp. 1 hour later you will have a cosmo free stock. It also helps get some of the nicks out of the wood.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Dishwasher on pots and pans cycle does the job for you. Just lube it up really well before putting her back together. Dishwasher also does a great job of stripping wood stocks down to bare wood and lifting out light imperfections.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    It's my first time but I read a lot about it. Used mineral spirits in a paint tray + toothbrush for the small metal parts. No issues there. Did the stock in the oven trick for the wood -- that worked pretty well, too. Still don't feel like it was 100% out even after about 2+ hours (took it out and wiped it down every 20 minutes or so). The barrel was probably the most annoying thing. It still has stuff in the nooks and crannies on the outside. Used spirits + toothbrush + rag on most of it. Also ran hot water from the faucet through it for a few minutes. Might just go at it on and off the next few days and hopefully get a little more off each day (though I'm traveling next week).

The car wash idea is a good one. Nothing like a bayonet in the car wash, eh. :)

BTW--it's a Yugo SKS in pretty good condition.

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    Dishwasher on pots and pans cycle does the job for you. Just lube it up really well before putting her back together. Dishwasher also does a great job of stripping wood stocks down to bare wood and lifting out light imperfections.

If I can't get it done otherwise it will probably come to this. Wife didn't like the oven, and I'm sure she wouldn't like this :D

dice dealer

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Harrison county
    during the summer months i usually just prop the new toy up against the garage in the driveway ....the 90 degree sun works wonders ....

I love living in the country ....lol

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South

Is there a long enough dishwasher for a Mosin 91/30? :D

steif

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    82   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    in the car

Hi,
    I usually just sit it in the car trunk on a hot day... put the gun or stock in a trash bag with a lot of newspapers crumpled up... it will not strip the finish off the stock and keeps everything original.
    I have also made a stock de-greaser by putting together a "pipe" of tin ducting 8" size. one T connector and a rectangle inlet, then I have set a heater in front of it blowing in the ducting. loosely plug one end of the T by sitting it on a board. That catches the grease that drips down.. you would be amazed how much grease seeps out of a rifle in a short while using this method. I just make sure not to leave it alone... it could catch fire..lol..
    I just have made a jig to hold the duct upright and a block to sit the stock on Inside the duct.
    And sometimes, I just clean it enough to shoot and not worry about all the extra grease everywhere else, it'll burn off if it gets hot enough.

By the way, some of the Yugo sks's are the absolute worst I have ever seen as far as thickness of the grease.

Top Bottom