• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I was at discount tire today in Muncie getting new tires on my wife's car. While waiting I see 3 young people come in and one of them tells the clerk they have a tire in their trunk that needs replaced. The clerk tells them to bring the tire and rim in and they can mount a new tire on it. After much confusion about what mounting a new tire on a rim means, they thought since they didn't have that car with them that they just needed a tire, they finally went out to retrieve the tire and rim. Too my astonishment this 20 something male runs back in with a hubcap, yes a hubcap, and tries to hand it to the clerk. Poor guy didn't know what to say. Finally the clerk went to the car and got the tire and rim and got them taken care of. It was a sad day.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I think that says more about the youth in Muncie than the youth at large.

...and just because I can:

[video=youtube;8FUr4jNS1_k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FUr4jNS1_k[/video]

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I was at discount tire today in Muncie getting new tires on my wife's car. While waiting I see 3 young people come in and one of them tells the clerk they have a tire in their trunk that needs replaced. The clerk tells them to bring the tire and rim in and they can mount a new tire on it. After much confusion about what mounting a new tire on a rim means, they thought since they didn't have that car with them that they just needed a tire, they finally went out to retrieve the tire and rim. Too my astonishment this 20 something male runs back in with a hubcap, yes a hubcap, and tries to hand it to the clerk. Poor guy didn't know what to say. Finally the clerk went to the car and got the tire and rim and got them taken care of. It was a sad day.

Sign of the times where the parents do not or will not spend time with their children to show or share knowledge of every day life. Have a SIL like this and glad my daughter has learned from her mother and myself.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

That's unfortunate but correctable. The ones I shake my head in despair are the ones you try to correct and then in return act like you're an idiot and they already know it all, already and insist on going down a path that they'll regret.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    That's unfortunate but correctable. The ones I shake my head in despair are the ones you try to correct and then in return act like you're an idiot and they already know it all, already and insist on going down a path that they'll regret.

I do know it all!

respectcartman.jpg

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My son helps me work on the car. He has helped with brake jobs, alternator and water pump replacement. When I am doing any carpentry repairs or doing machine work in the garage or electronics on the bench he is right there too. Me daughter is pretty handy as well. People please take the time to work with your kids. They will be better for it!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Google/facebook/twitter is ruining our young.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    At this point he could charge whatever he wanted for whatever he said it was.

Like the girl who came into a shop to have her 710 cap replaced...it wasn't until the parts guy had her draw a picture of it and turned it upside down he saw...

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Google/facebook/twitter is ruining our young.

They found this with electronic manuals in the AF also. When an older mechanic went to find a routine he would page through the book, see all the other related stuff...maybe not read it but see it...electronically the new mechanics go right to the screen they need and they have found that the lack of unintended input is making for less intuitive mechanics that don't see other problems that may be right by the one the machine is telling them to fix.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    They found this with electronic manuals in the AF also. When an older mechanic went to find a routine he would page through the book, see all the other related stuff...maybe not read it but see it...electronically the new mechanics go right to the screen they need and they have found that the lack of unintended input is making for less intuitive mechanics that don't see other problems that may be right by the one the machine is telling them to fix.

The analyzer is making these young men into parts changers not someone that diagnoses.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy

I would say that is typical young folk behavior. "I need to see for myself."
    Wisdom isn't wasted on the young because it takes a long while to acquire it.*

*me

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    It has gotten bad. Just seeing 3 people, 2 males in their 20's and one female about the same age, none of them realized that a tire cannot be mounted on a hubcap. The old tire was still on the rim and somehow it did not click to any of them what was needed to mount the new tire. I agree with the previous posts that the internet has ruined peoples ability to think. What was once "common sense" is now anything but common. Logical thought process is dead.
    I will be 37 this month, I have never been mechanically inclined. I can do basics on a car, change a tire, change the oil, brake pads, the basics. I do however know enough to understand what my mechanic is talking about when he is telling me what needs fixed on my car. I teach my kids the basics, my mechanic is a friend of mine and I take my kids out to his house to "help" when he is working on my cars. They will know the basics but so many just have no clue. When SHTF and people can no longer google or watch youtube videos to learn how to do day to day basics so many will be in trouble.

HomesteadRose

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 11, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It is troubling. Schools are definitely to blame for some of it. Of our grandkids: 3 out of 4 make As & Bs in school, 1 has graduated HS already, but none of them can read a traditional clock to tell what time it is. 2 cannot read cursive handwriting. One is a freshman high school honor roll student, last summer she asked us how many moons the earth has.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Schools are definitely to blame for some of it.

I agree with that, only to the extent that, a tiny little bit is still "some". The main cause of uneducated kids is their parents. I couldn't teach the quadratic equation to my kids, but if my kids couldn't tell time on an old-school clock, or didn't know how many moons the earth has, or think that you need to give the repair man the hubcap to fix a tire, that would be all me.

Top Bottom