• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    I was on Facebook tonight and someone posted a gift card for Academy Sports. It was for $221 and he wanted $110. I have never understood why people do this and frankly it makes me suspicious but what I have found is that people need cash fast and are willing to take a big loss to get it.

After meeting him and seeing that the PIN # was still covered I called the 800 number and confirmed the card had $221 on it.

I ended up buying 7 boxes (all they had) of off brand (Monarch) .223 steel case on sale for $4.99 ea and 3 boxes of 150 count 5.56 M855 American Eagle on sale for $54.99 ea. Add a box of .38 for good measure and I walked out for an additional $13 over the gift card.

I figure that makes the steel stuff come in at around 12.5 cents a round and the brass for barely over 18 cents. :woot:

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    :yesway: Nice! Some people also "find" these cards or were given them and have no interest in the store's product. Their loss, your gain! As long as both parties are happy, both win!

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    This was a gift card for gifts they returned without a receipt. He even gave me the return receipt showing the items returned. With tax it was $221.46 worth of returns.

I guess it's possible that it could be stuff they stole and then returned but I have no reason to believe that was the case.

I just knew that I wanted to spend it fast just in case someone had devised a way to see the PIN with a card reader and try to spend it online after the sale. It's a shame you have to think that way but I usually subscribe to the idea that if a deal seems to good to be true it most likely is not. However in this case I took all reasonable precautions and then spent it fast.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    I'm sure the card was legit. I'm also very certain how they got the card was not. When we have a "special regular customer" that is returning something without a receipt, they will get a gift card. We can't prove there's anything illegal going on so we have to take the product back, but we make sure they don't get cash from us. I'd say you inadvertently got mixed up with unscrupulous individuals. Usually those people are watched more than they think they are, while a case is being built against them. There are "bands " of people that work certain areas & certain stores. Things disappear from one store are returned at another by different people.

AA&E

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 4, 2014
    Southern Indiana
    This was a gift card for gifts they returned without a receipt. He even gave me the return receipt showing the items returned. With tax it was $221.46 worth of returns.

I'm sure the card was legit. I'm also very certain how they got the card was not. When we have a "special regular customer" that is returning something without a receipt, they will get a gift card. We can't prove there's anything illegal going on so we have to take the product back, but we make sure they don't get cash from us. I'd say you inadvertently got mixed up with unscrupulous individuals. Usually those people are watched more than they think they are, while a case is being built against them. There are "bands " of people that work certain areas & certain stores. Things disappear from one store are returned at another by different people.

Maybe sometimes that is the case, but this time it sounds as if the person involved had a receipt.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    It could have been legit . Kinda like when someone pawns cause needs money quick & take a lose. If someone returns a set of screwdrivers without a receipt they will get a receipt from us showing they returned a set of screwdrivers and that the money was given back to them on a merchandise card. That person then has a legitimate card that they have no use for so they sell it for a lot less to get actual cash which, is the plan from the beginning. They don't care that they loose $100 cause they are gaining the other amount. I'd say they used the receipt to help with the sale of the merchandise card. Also I'm not implying that OP was a knowing part of anything, but that is how the bad guys work it.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yeah I get gift cards and sell them at a loss from time to time too. Mostly gifts to places I could care less about.

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    Gift cards that lose money over time really grind my gears. You get one. You might use part of it and put it back for later. Much later you find it and unlike the $20 you stuck in a jacket pocket it is now worthless. :-(

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    There's a whole website where people sell gift cards at less than face for quick cash, but the sheer amount that the guy discounted this one certainly leaves me a bit suspicious.

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Reload and you can do that any - time - you - want...and have more accurate loads custom for your rifle. ;)

I only have a Dillon SDB so 223 is not in the cards right now. I am really more of a handgun person and reload everything I shoot regularly. That's why I went for the 223/5.56 stuff with a heavy discount.

Top Bottom