I Checked My Glock at the Airport...Disaster!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Greeper

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 8, 2011
    I don't give rat's body parts about your ill-informed retorts. You don't know ANY of the details and you are WRONG about the assumptions you have made...Mr Troll. How DARE you call me a federal criminal with zero evidence. Are we not innocent until proven guilty. Are you a criminal for practicing law on a forum without passing the bar? you're a fool, on a fools errand, creating problems that don't exist. You miss the possibility that I might be an Idaho resident moving to Indiana. The seller might be a new Indiana resident that needed it moved for them, I may have involved a dealer. You made an ASSumption and then doubled down on it putting egg on YOUR face. This is why I rarely post on here, some jackwagon always has to be the knowitall Barney Fife and make life uncomfortable as we all watch the slow kid repeatedly slapping himself in the face as we shake our heads and wonder...should we be mad, or sad...

Again, I'm not a felon....not that it's ANY of your business.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    I don't give rat's body parts about your ill-informed retorts. You don't know ANY of the details and you are WRONG about the assumptions you have made...Mr Troll. How DARE you call me a federal criminal with zero evidence. Are we not innocent until proven guilty. Are you a criminal for practicing law on a forum without passing the bar? you're a fool, on a fools errand, creating problems that don't exist. You miss the possibility that I might be an Idaho resident moving to Indiana. The seller might be a new Indiana resident that needed it moved for them, I may have involved a dealer. You made an ASSumption and then doubled down on it putting egg on YOUR face. This is why I rarely post on here, some jackwagon always has to be the knowitall Barney Fife and make life uncomfortable as we all watch the slow kid repeatedly slapping himself in the face as we shake our heads and wonder...should we be mad, or sad...

Again, I'm not a felon....not that it's ANY of your business.

There's no egg on MY face. I'm not the one buying weapons out of state and not shipping them to a FFL for the transfer and bragging about it online.

I didn't miss the possibility that you might be an Idaho resident. THAT IS WHY I ASKED. Try learning to read for a change. And if you're an Indiana resident, you certainly didn't involve an INDIANA DEALER to arrange to pick up the weapon IN INDIANA. Remember your words "except a new DPMS Panther I picked up as a private purchase in Idaho"? You bought a firearm in Idaho. It wasn't someone else's to be shipped or anything like that.

You MADE this everybody's business when you posted it on a public forum.

Regarding the rest of your post: :rolleyes:

And with that, I'm done with you.

Last edited:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    This must be the one everyone is thinking about:

Q: From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?
    A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    so the term "firearms" only includes "handguns"? "Rifles" and "Shotguns" aren't "firearms"?

I copy/pasted it exactly as it appears, directly from the BATFE's website. There may be certain different rules regarding border states to my recollection ... but Idaho most certainly does not share a border with Indiana so those rules wouldn't apply in this instance anyway.

I'll pay attention to the verbiage straight from the BATFE long before I listen to random internet personalities. I am at least posting the verbiage ... all anyone else is doing is saying I'm wrong but not backing up their words with anything at all.

:horse:

You presented your point, the OP advised that he performed the transaction legally. Leave it there. There isn't any overarching need to go beyond that.

And now back to our regularly scheduled episode.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    This must be the one everyone is thinking about:

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee’s premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

This is the correct reading of the law. You MAY acquire a long gun from any other state, so long as your state and the state where you bought it don't have laws against it. Indiana, up until recently, had a law that you could only buy a long gun from a bordering state. This has been changed to mirror Federal law.

You must still use an FFL in the state where you're purchasing the long gun. Private sales that don't involve an FFL for the transfer are illegal between residents of two different states. Federal law prohibits sales of handguns in a state other than your state of residence, unless you first transfer to an FFL in your state.

JBombelli's quote from the ATF website was not completely accurate, because it did not specify handguns only, as the actual Federal laws do.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I flew from Indy to Houston, from Houston to Denver, and from Denver to Indy with my XDm-9 3.8 without issues. They inspected my firearm each time - in Indiana they opened the case to look at it. In Houston and Denver they just ran it through what was apparently a special scanner in a special room while I stood at the door to watch.

That said - you should check the tag they put on your bag to make sure has your information on it and that it does *NOT* say firearm on it anywhere.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    If you're an Indiana resident, and you bought a firearm in Idaho, and did NOT have it shipped by the seller to a FFL in Indiana, in light of the law I quoted requiring exactly that, what would you call it?

The regulation I posted applies whether you buy from a dealer or a private individual.

That's why I asked if you're an Idaho resident or Indiana resident. Well, which are you?

I don't give rat's *** about the luggage. I'm not addressing that. Stupid **** like that is why I don't fly in the first place.

Sounds like an illegal tranfer...to the OP, it'd be best you void that part out especially with all the liberals going gun control happy.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    Sounds like an illegal tranfer...to the OP, it'd be best you void that part out especially with all the liberals going gun control happy.

From Expat

"This must be the one everyone is thinking about:

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]"

I wasn't crazy, so long as he used an FFL, he was good

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    "...licensed dealer in the purchaser's state of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer."

I'm not just making this up. I copy/pasted it directly from the ATF's website. Please note, it says "firearm" not "handgun" or "pistol", but "firearm."

I'm an INGO member who's well aware of the laws and what they say. It's how I stay out of prison.

I know you weren't making it up, calm down. I'm an INGO member who ALSO knows the rules. This was worded improperly, here is some better wording

From Expat

"This must be the one everyone is thinking about:

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]"

OP, I'm glad everything turned out OK for you. You got your glock back, AND a new AR-15 to boot. Sounds like all is well

Last edited:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    :mods:

Consider this an "In Thread Warning", any continued personal insults and/or attacks will result in your temporary vacation from INGO

Thank you.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    To the OP: thanks for posting your story.

It also brought out the fact, the laws on purchasing long-guns have changed for the better. :rockwoot:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just to continue the debate a bit.... Who delivered the bag with said gun? Did they fly it or ship it? Does "shipping A firearm" include courier service? Did the airline unintentionally violate the law?

If their employee was unable to legally own a firearm could he legally transport one for someone else/employer?

Last edited:

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    OP. Glad everything worked out. Good story, and educational. Now...some other things made me think about this guy that drove from Indiana to Tennesse to stay with his wife in a chalet for a few days. He did not take a gun and wished he had. He went to a local Wal-mart and purchased a 20 ga. single shot of the H&R type. He felt safer. When the little vacation was over, he and his wife drove home to Indiana, and of course he brought the little shotgun home. This was somewhere in the 15 to 20 year ago range. Did that poor sap break any laws?

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    WOW, some of you guys make me paranoid, think I may have to have my H & K .45 sub-compact within reach when I read some of these posts. PS: Best Gun Ever !

Top Bottom