• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    Kstreeter, bsurugger and I would have no problem taking care of that problem for ya, and yes i would get a slug barrel.

OOOOOooooooooo would I ever!!!! Put the three of us around there and we will help your situation out. I'm a one shot, one kill shooter and I could use some more meat in the freezer. My father MeanStreek would also love to be a part of this.

brettgrace

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    personally if I was not going to continue hunting, I would use winchester rifled slugs in your smoothbore shotgun, I have excellent results out to 125 yards. I shoot 4" groups at 100 yards with these and can't justify buying a rifled barrel and shoot those expensive sabots when what I have does just fine

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Deer hunting

First off,
    If you don't want to spend a lot of money, don't go and buy a rifled barrel for $150-$200. Just use your field barrel with an $8 improved cylinder choke tube. Also, please don't waste the meat.. There are a lot of people who would love to have even a couple of pounds of meat. There are also places that will accept donated meat. One adult deer will yield 200 meals. You probably will want to shoot your shotgun prior to attempting to take an animal as well. (so as not to wound) I would consider using a 30-30 with a spotlight. I know this isn't real ethical, but neither is eating all of another man's vegetables.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I would consider using a 30-30 with a spotlight. I know this isn't real ethical, but neither is eating all of another man's vegetables.

It's not only unethical but real illegal. You cannot shine deer while in possesion of a firearm, bow or crossbow and you definately cant use lights to help you hunt.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    It's not only unethical but real illegal. You cannot shine deer while in possesion of a firearm, bow or crossbow and you definately cant use lights to help you hunt.
    Thanks for teaching me my deer hunting rules, but with a deprodation permit I believe that it is allowed. The purpose of the permit is to remove unwanted deer whether ethically or not.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    No problem on teaching you your deer hunting rules, but its in the Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide. Enjoy!:D

damdayshifter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    georgetown
    LONG LEGGED RAT SHOOTING

TIPS AND TRICKS TO KILL A LOT OF CROP DAMAGING DEER.
    1) Use a good cover scent.
    2) Shoot to kill in one shot only. Heart and lung shot is the best.
    3) Move your eyes only. Your head and hands very slowly.
    4) Stay put in your blind after each kill and don't make a sound. The rest of the deer will be spooked and gone to the next state if they see you or smell you. And if they are spooked by the gun shot; deer will only go 100 to 200 yards and return even with the smell of blood on the ground. I promise you!
    5) If a deer runs after it's shot, take notice how it runs and where it runs. A fatally shot deer will run like it's drunk. (i.e. low to the ground, dragging rear legs, and not to a normal trail for it.) A missed and spook deer will run like a race horse.
    6) Always give a shot deer 20 minutes to bleed out before you move on it.
    7) If your trail one by the blood trail and you don't see anymore blood, start to circle around the spot moving out ever five to ten yards. A dead deer will lay in six inches of grass and not be seen until you step on it.

This is what tell all the deer hunters on my farm.
    P.S. HAVE SOME FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rockwoot:

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    All of you and your answers.

It is legal to use a spotlight for this isn't it? And a high-powered rifle right? and a vehicle right? and whatever it takes to remove the animal right? The only reason I am even asking is because another INGO member has supposedly reported me to the Johnson County Game Wardens about using depr tags and a spotlight. I tried to explain to them what this thread was about and what I was talking about, but he just didn't seem to want to listen. So if I could have some answers it would be very helpful.. Thanks.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    It is legal to use a spotlight for this isn't it? And a high-powered rifle right? and a vehicle right? and whatever it takes to remove the animal right? The only reason I am even asking is because another INGO member has supposedly reported me to the Johnson County Game Wardens about using depr tags and a spotlight. I tried to explain to them what this thread was about and what I was talking about, but he just didn't seem to want to listen. So if I could have some answers it would be very helpful.. Thanks.

I'm very disappointed to hear that a fellow INGOer chose to report you and cause you trouble instead of providing you with the information in writing. It seems the neighborly thing to have done would be to provide you with some concrete evidence as to the rules around Damage Control (depredation) Permits in Indiana.

I've done a bit of research for you, and a previous poster was correct that the Hunting & Trapping Guide does state that spotlighting is not permitted. However, that guide is referring to normal hunting circumstances and does not specify one way or the other in regards to the depredation permit. I did find some indication that it was primarily up to your local Wildlife Biologist to determine the allowable method(s) for hunting those pesky deer off-season. It should also indicate on your permit what methods are allowed. If you have any specific questions, you should contact your Wildlife Biologist directly. Here is a list: DNR: Indiana's Wildlife Biologists

Reps to you for asking questions and becoming educated before running around shooting at every 4-legged creature that crosses your path.

Let us know what happens!

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    DNR oficer told my buddy when he applied for his Depradation tags, that same rules applied as regular hunting except he could use a rifle, and he couldn't be gin hunting and had to be finished an hour after/before sunset sun rise, I whish I had a link though.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    We do that every year at Camp Atterbury. We either pick a few local families that have hit a string of bad luck or we donate them to the shelters in Indy. Usually 5-10 deer get donated per year from our group.

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I'm very disappointed to hear that a fellow INGOer chose to report you and cause you trouble instead of providing you with the information in writing. It seems the neighborly thing to have done would be to provide you with some concrete evidence as to the rules around Damage Control (depredation) Permits in Indiana.

I've done a bit of research for you, and a previous poster was correct that the Hunting & Trapping Guide does state that spotlighting is not permitted. However, that guide is referring to normal hunting circumstances and does not specify one way or the other in regards to the depredation permit. I did find some indication that it was primarily up to your local Wildlife Biologist to determine the allowable method(s) for hunting those pesky deer off-season. It should also indicate on your permit what methods are allowed. If you have any specific questions, you should contact your Wildlife Biologist directly. Here is a list: DNR: Indiana's Wildlife Biologists

Reps to you for asking questions and becoming educated before running around shooting at every 4-legged creature that crosses your path.

Let us know what happens!
    Thanks, I know three different farmers in different counties and they all tell me that they are allowed to use hi powered rifles, spotlights, whatever means necessary. I was just curious if any one else knew about this.

tedbower

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    mooresville
    It is illegal to spot light deer by any means any time ,any how or any where in the state of indiana period.Call dnr and ask .

Last edited:

greg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Plainfield,In
    It is illegal to spot light deer by any means any time ,any how or any where in the state of indiana period.Call dnr and ask if you are to lazy to look it up in the regulations.I hate poachers.
    :wtf: .....only if you have a firearm with you then you "CAN NOT" spot light.....read the rules!!!

longbarrel

Expert
    Rating - 91.7%
    22   2   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Central Indiana
    spotlight

Seriously, It is not illegal to spotlight. I have read rules and spoken with dnr. What is wrong with some of you people? The Indiana Hunting & Trapping Guide is not the holy bible of the outdoor world. On page 7 of the Deer regulations sub sec Spotlighting: It is illegal for the purpose of taking or attempting to take a deer. Or, while in possesion of a firearm or bow. That is it. That is the only rule period. If you don't believe me call this # and ask 812-334-3795 8:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. This rule also does not apply to all deprodation permits. (ask about that if you would like) If you are spotlighting without a firearm or bow and not attempting to take any deer it is all right all of the time. If you have a special permit from the Dnr you might be able to use a spot light to help take a deer. You would still not be doing anything wrong. You can argue, bicker, whaterver you want.. Call the # and find out. The rules are the rules. Know them or get into trouble. Let it go.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    I called to and talked to one of the CO's that work Camp Atterbury and they all said if you have a dep tag it has to state on it by which means you will be controlling the deer, i.e. rifle, bow, spotlight, fence, bait, trap, there's a few more too.

Also to Longbarrel if you just acted calm and spoke like an adult you could have saved yourself some trouble, instead of the many numerous vulgur PM's you sent to me because you thought you were right. Karma's a ___________-_______________

Top Bottom