• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I appears that I am going to get a permit to take deer for destroying my vegetable crops. Just waiting for the first damage so permit can be issued. I am not a hunter, so this deal has caused me to have a few questions.

I have a 870 that is use for birds in the sweet corn, has a modified screw in choke. I need to know if I should buy a dedicated slug barrel, or if I can make this one work.

I had also hoped to use my AR, but it has to be .243 caliber or larger, cannot remember the max. So should I be looking at an upper of some sort, or a complete different rifle. Seems like the perfect chance to justify a new gun!!;)

The reason I am looking to have both is for the proximity to houses rules out the rifle in some places.

Also, I can put 10 people on the permit. I have some self-proclaimed good hunters right now, but if they don't have any luck, I will be looking for hunters on the north side that want to do some summer deer hunting.:D

thanks

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    A rifled barrel would be best for this set up but you can buy rifled slugs as well. I am a hunter of 20 yrs and if you want more info or spacifics, PM me.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Like was said, get a rifled slug barrel for the 870. You can get them with rifle sights or a cantilevered (sp) mount for a scope.

I use hornaday SST 300 gr slugs and they are accurate past 200 yards. I have taken many deer in the 75-150 range.

If you need some help, I have a freezer that I wouldn't mind fillin up! Let me know!

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    I have been nuisance hunting for several years now, still waiting to find a farmer this summer, but I have had luck with a 30.06. You really don't need to get close for these hunts. Deer aren't used to being hunted, let their guards down a little. I normally just set up in a ground blind at the edge of the field, overlooking as much as possible. Average shots have been about 150 yards. If you don't have a good backstop though, I would definately consider a rifled shotgun barrel. Shooting sabots with a scope, you should be able to reach out 125-200 yards easily.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I believe you can hunt them with anything you want to on a depredation permit. Day, night, with spot lights, what ever.

jforrest

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Porter County
    I would go with the rifled barrel too. I used the Remington Accu-Tip bonded slugs. Dropped my deer in his tracks. They worked really well and put groups of 3 inches at 100 yards for me. Someone with more rifle experience can probably get much better.

BRICH60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    WITH A DEPRIVATION PERMIT YOU COULD USE YOUR AR IF YOU WANTED. ALTHOUGH CAPABLE OF KILLING ONE, I WOULD USE A LARGER CALIBER RIFLE OR A SHOTGUN WITH SLUGS.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    WITH A DEPRIVATION PERMIT YOU COULD USE YOUR AR IF YOU WANTED. ALTHOUGH CAPABLE OF KILLING ONE, I WOULD USE A LARGER CALIBER RIFLE OR A SHOTGUN WITH SLUGS.

Wrong also..... .243 cal or bigger. AR's in .223 are not legal. Also, there can be other limits set. For example, hunting my neighbors I was allowed shotgun only, no handguns or high powered rifles.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i know the depredation permits i get for the farm only allow the deer to be taken durring season with legal equipment (slugs-muzzeloaders-bow-handgun caliber etc) but it doesn't allow for 243 or larger.

a friend at one time had a permit that was anything goes so make sure what kind of permit you get

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I appears that I am going to get a permit to take deer for destroying my vegetable crops. Just waiting for the first damage so permit can be issued. I am not a hunter, so this deal has caused me to have a few questions.
    thanks

If you've never hunted deer before, and plan to take one or two down yourself, please be sure to do a little studying up on kill shots. If you hit em in the wrong place they'll end up suffering and dying hours later in the middle of a neighbor's back yard for their kids to find. Field dressing is also something you'll want to get familiar with. If you're going to eat it, you don't want the guts hangin out in there for any length of time at all.

Just some thoughts. :D

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Rifled slug barrel yes. But as you said what a good excuse to buy a rifle. Get use to the new gun before you ever take it to the field.Good luck

Marc

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    District 6
    I believe you can hunt them with anything you want to on a depredation permit. Day, night, with spot lights, what ever.

You are correct when it's a depeedation tag and is declared a nuisance then the limitations of hunting deer are lifted. Take the rules for hunting yote and apply them to deer then pull out the big guns.

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks for all the advise.

Deer have become an increasing problem. We have all they need, grain, vegetables, and a gravel pit for water. Last fall we saw devastating damage to field corn, and in the summer they walked down the rows of freshly transplanted cantaloupe and eat them at will. What iced it was when I notice about 8-10 deer walking down the rows of green beans chowing down. When I can see damage in 70 acres of sweet corn, 5000 cantaloupe plants, and 15 acres of green beans, it has become a problem.

I have gotten a couple of PM's. Rest assured that if my local guys cannot produce kills, I will open it up to those of you here that are interested here.

Off the top of my head. .243 or larger, extra 1/2 hour hunt time in evening was the major differences. It is it a buck larger than 6 point, DNR takes 1/2 the rack. Permit will run until sept 15th, and can have 10 people on it.

I won't make a huge effort to hunt myself, but want to have a weapon set up properly just in case.

Thanks for all the help!!

Stove

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Wondering, would something like a 30-30 work?? I have a place in my heart for the 30-30 as it was the large rifle that I grew up with. Started with bb, than 22, and 30-30. I have looked at 30-30 every time I make the gun store rounds.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I wouldn't buy any thing special to hunt them with if you already have something that fits the legal requirements. If I was going to have to buy a gun to kill them with, with in the requirements you describe it would be a 243 or 25-06. If you have any other rifle that suits the purpose then I'd get a 44 mag Ruger Redhawk so you can have it with you all the time. You could shoot a lot right off the tractor and never miss a beat and you don't have to spend a bunch of extra time doing nothing productive but hunting. What you are talking about isn't as much hunting as it is fixing a problem. Who wants to hammer roofing nails with a tack hammer? Get the tool to make the job easy.

Top Bottom