• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I saw it as a depiction of what life in a totalitarian society gets you. Everything is owned by the government and in order to prosper you have to kill or steal from your fellow citizen.

Surprised it came out during this election cycle. Also glad the author has a degree from IU :rockwoot:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I'm hoping that by the third movie, they are not following the book as much. The third book was pretty weak. The wife and I enjoyed the books and read them along with my niece and nephews. Some good themes to spark discussion.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I never read the books or knew the story so my opinion was solely based on the movie I watched. I must say that halfway through, I felt like walking out. The first half of the movie was nothing more than strange costumed characters with wierd hair and big teeth. The second half was nothing but children killing children in a game show setting which made it acceptable in this future society (and ours as well based on the book's cult following). I'm just glad I didn't pay money to see the movie.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    For those of you who have seen HG, anyone also familiar with Battle Royale?

It's hard to believe that HG was not a BR clone, to be charitable. Kinda wondering how the movies stack up against each other...

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I never read the books or knew the story so my opinion was solely based on the movie I watched. I must say that halfway through, I felt like walking out. The first half of the movie was nothing more than strange costumed characters with wierd hair and big teeth. The second half was nothing but children killing children in a game show setting which made it acceptable in this future society (and ours as well based on the book's cult following). I'm just glad I didn't pay money to see the movie.

A major theme in the books is the horror of a society that considers forcing children to murder each other for entertainment. The ruling class sees the games as a bid diversion and an exciting pageant. The serfs see the games as unbearable horror requiring the death of their children.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I don't exactly have a weak disposition when it comes to cinematic elements of a movie...but I've gotta admit, kids being forced to kill each other for the entertainment of a privileged few, as payback for a civil war, was....unsettling to me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011

It's hard to believe that HG was not a BR clone, to be charitable. Kinda wondering how the movies stack up against each other...

Battle Royale is exactly what i thought of when i first heard about the hunger games (when the movie came out). I personally like BR more than Hunger Games, for the mere fact i seen it first and HG seemed like a clone, except for maybe books 2 and 3 (i could only assume the movies also).

It seems to me like the books (hunger games) were written for the mere purpose of making a movie about em

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Battle Royale is exactly what i thought of when i first heard about the hunger games (when the movie came out). I personally like BR more than Hunger Games, for the mere fact i seen it first and HG seemed like a clone, except for maybe books 2 and 3 (i could only assume the movies also).

It seems to me like the books (hunger games) were written for the mere purpose of making a movie about em
    Same thought here, and sure enough, a movie!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

Yes, Battle Royale was out years before. Although they had made a part 2, but from the very few that i had heard seen it, said it was horrible. At least the Hunger Games was written as a series, so the future movies wouldnt be just to continue making money (although all of them are trying to). At least the have something to work with. The series of books, I thought was well written. Although I did like in the movie, give them hope, but not too much. Hope is more powerful then fear. Hmmmm

Top Bottom