• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Who saw it? Just got back from seeing it with the Missus. Pretty good flick. Only slight variations from the book although it did give a little more emphasis to the sequel than the book did. President Snow shown to be concerned early on.

What was the best scene? I have to admit I got a little teary when Katniss saluted District 11 after Rue's death.

Who was your favorite movie character? So far... Haymitch for me. Woody Harrelson plays the character a little lighter than I read him, but I liked him. I was curious to see how Cinna would be played and I was pleasantly surprised that he wasn't portrayed to be...flaming (no pun intended? Stylist on fire?)

Anyway, For me it was worth the price of a ticket to see in the theatre. I even sprung for the ridiculously expensive popcorn :popcorn:. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

May the odds be ever in your favor!

trad78

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Griffith
    Didn't think it was worth it. Loved the books, movie was just OK. Will wait for the others on Blu before I see them. All the characters were a hollow shell of what they could have been.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I took my 6th grader. We have all read the books. Great chance to talk about government oppression and revolution. Much better than that twilight crap.

MrsXtremeVel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've read the book a couple of times. I'm going to see it over Spring Break when the crowds die down a bit. Maybe I can talk my son into going with me, since it has a lot of action in it. I dragged the poor kid to see Breaking Dawn with me, and he hasn't forgiven me yet.:rolleyes:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I took my 6th grader. We have all read the books. Great chance to talk about government oppression and revolution. Much better than that twilight crap.

I saw it last night.........

I have to say the entire movie sent a very bad vibe... at least in my mind.

I found myself wishing for the extinction of everyone in that world,
    from the spineless inhabitants to the sadistic government oppressors.

I just felt utter disgust welling up within myself while watching,
    I kept having to tell myself "it's only a movie" I discovered the entire premise
    did not set well with me whatsoever. Kind of a strange reaction, that does not normally happen when I view "entertainment".

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Didn't think it was worth it. Loved the books, movie was just OK. Will wait for the others on Blu before I see them. All the characters were a hollow shell of what they could have been.

Possibly true. Having read the books, I attributed the character attributes from the books to the same characters in the movie. For me it was more a depiction of the action of characters in already knew. Kind of like the Atlas Shrugged movie which I also liked but was probably empty for those who didn't know the characters already.

I saw it last night.........

I have to say the entire movie sent a very bad vibe... at least in my mind.

I found myself wishing for the extinction of everyone in that world,
    from the spineless inhabitants to the sadistic government oppressors.

I just felt utter disgust welling up within myself while watching,
    I kept having to tell myself "it's only a movie" I discovered the entire premise
    did not set well with me whatsoever. Kind of a strange reaction, that does not normally happen when I view "entertainment".

I think that was kind of the point? It reads on a very basic "tween" level but it also has a theme that many see as a real potential future if things continue as they are. In the books, the Capitol has a strongly Roman flavor from the names of the characters--to the Colliseum they force their gladiators to fight in. Its not science fiction, its history. And we all know what history does if you don't learn from it.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Saw it tonight with my wife and one of our female friends. This book series/movie is apparently all the rage with the female adolescent/young adult set. I enjoyed it, but couldn't help thinking I've seen the exact story many, many times before with slight variation. I mean at it's core it wasn't really any different than The Running Man...

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Saw it tonight. It stayed pretty true to the book. However, they really needed for it to have a PG-13 rating, so it seemed "tamer" to me than the books were. Might have been just my impression. Mrs. HD liked it more.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I haven't seen the movie or read the books because I don't want to ruin what should be a great video game. :)

perry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    I have read the book until the point of the fire then I got too tense to read and stopped reading. It was good until then but I didn't like the stress. I'm not a very good story reader ;)

I watched the movie tonight using Amazon instant video tonight. It was pretty good. Since it is a trilogy I could have guessed the ending. But the movie was pretty good anyways! I thought it told a great story and I liked the way it flowed at nearly two and a half hours. I felt it was worth the $4 "rental" fee from Amazon. I've wasted $4 in less entertaining ways in the past.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Thought it was pretty good as well, and stayed true pretty much to the books. As with anything, there are always going to be little differences, as you cannot explain what the person knows from life experience, unless they are talking to themselves. There were a couple minor other things, but i dont think anything major. Will be interesting to see part 2, anyone seen any previews yet?

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Haven't read the books, but the movie seemed like it could have been on the sci-fi channel with the terrible acting and equally terrible special effects. Can't believe this movie earned one of the top spots of the all time opening weekend lists. A few to many holes in the movie for me as well.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Haven't read the books, but the movie seemed like it could have been on the sci-fi channel with the terrible acting and equally terrible special effects. Can't believe this movie earned one of the top spots of the all time opening weekend lists. A few to many holes in the movie for me as well.

All because of the books. Just like Twilight. I thought the books were a decent read though.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    I am getting the movie tonight at the Red Box.. Figured it was better at the big screen but just cant justify that money spent for a not so sure thing..

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The movie is what it is - a live action depiction of a teen lit book.

Anybody who goes into it mistakenly thinking its dystopian setting is intended for adults is priming themselves to be let down.

Personally, having never touched the books I enjoyed the movie. Yes, its hokey at times but REMEMBER - its based on teen lit...its not supposed to be RED DAWN in the future.

pirate

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jul 2, 2011
    Personally, having never touched the books I enjoyed the movie. Yes, its hokey at times but REMEMBER - its based on teen lit...its not supposed to be RED DAWN in the future.

What it was based on doesn't matter to me. I didn't know what it was about at all (never heard of it.) until my wife brought it home yesterday and popped it in saying, "this is one of the biggest selling movies ever." Automatically I was excited as I figured it had to be pretty good for that title. I couldn't get past the terrible D-movie acting.

I couldn't really stand watching twilight all the way through, but it was 10x better than this heap IMO. And we all know what opinions are like.

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Watched it last night in blu-ray from Redbox. Never heard of the series until several mos. ago when some teenage girls saw me looking at the dvd and exhorted me to read the series. I didn't. I thought the movie was well done. It had hints of the Roman Arena, Jeremiah Johnson (mountain man/girl) and Brave New World/1984 themes. This thought kept going thru my mind.
    If the crowd could have such empathy to the fate of some of the 'tributes', how could they also tolerate such cruelty. Yeah they did this in the Roman arena, but those were usually grown men with muscles considered to be criminals. Children killing each other? Especially the completely helpless ones? In any case, I found it gripping, especially the salute to district 11, certainly a brave rebellious gesture. Stanley Tucci was great. Jenn lawrence did a good job here, but was extraordinary in 'Winters Bone'. I give it 3 stars and the Palme d'fZz. I love the beauty of archery, but would rather have a 9mm in me pocket.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom