• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    As a Christmas present to myself I decided to get myself a decent gunsafe. Absolutely love it!

However, I need some advice...

The big box salesperson tried his darndest to sell me one of those Goldenrod 'dehumidifiers' which is basically just a stick heater. After researching more online now I'm having second thoughts rather I should have listened to him.

Right now, I have one of those rechargeable EvaDry crystal dehumidifiers in there. Do I actually need a Goldenrod too?? It might just be me, but the Goldenrod concept just seems hokey as it doesn't actually do anything really with humidity - just monkey with the dewpoint in the safe.

What's your guys' take? Am I going the right direction in my thinking or am I totally wrong?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    After all my years with tin can safes I finally bought my big boy safe this year. I never had a golden rod or any other kind of humidifier in my safes, but after looking into it the golden rod is probably a very good idea. Somebody tried to explain the science of it to me once, but if you're getting a real safe that's fairly air tight the humidity becomes a bigger issue. I ended up getting a golden rod and figured why not, since I was already spending a bunch of $$ on the safe, and everything inside the safe as well.

Viper1973

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks Teddy12b...

My thoughts were that the Goldenrod just seemed like it couldn't do much and that an actual chemical dehumidifier made more realistic sense. I've also heard of the Goldenrod things damaging or drying out rifle stocks.

BobDaniels

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Boone Co
    I've had good luck with large desiccant packs throughout the safe. (I'm in IT; computers come with at least 3 or 4 of per box and I must have at least 20 of these things in my safe) My safe is also in an area where I run a dehumidifier in the summer. After 5 years or so of owning that safe I've had zero problems with humidity. YMMV

ETA: you can make your own desiccant packs by going to your local hobby store (hobby lobby?) and in the flower section you can find bags bulk desiccant to make your own packs. Cotton children's socks and a twisty tie work well for DIY packs.

Last edited:

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Yes I do...

When I got my "Big Johnson" from Jeff Johnson several years ago He recommended the Golden Rod to go along with the two 15" florescent lights inside of the safe. The Golden Rod is controlled/cycled by a Humi-Stat that I think?? is set to around 40-50%.

The lights stay on 24/7, and I have only had to replace one bulb so far.

For me, this is a trouble free, and efficient system that keeps out the moisture and does not dry out the wood...Bill.

BlackGun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    I have a Golden Rod heater in both of my safes for over 35+ years and not 1 single issue whatsoever.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My safe sits in the garage (attached) for the last 10 years with a Golden Rod at the bottom. Regardless of the humidity in the garage, the safe stays around 55% or so. Safes are NOT airtight. My Browning safe only becomes airtight in a fire.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    A goldenrod is maintenance free.You buy the size designed for the size of your safe. Why when you for a very reasonable cost would you have a container of liquid that you constantly have to deal with, when you can just mount a goldenrod in your safe and plug it in.
    Be careful if you buy certain types of moisture removers, some disposable removers are salt in a open top bag.. You dont want that in your safe.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've had good luck with large desiccant packs throughout the safe. (I'm in IT; computers come with at least 3 or 4 of per box and I must have at least 20 of these things in my safe) My safe is also in an area where I run a dehumidifier in the summer. After 5 years or so of owning that safe I've had zero problems with humidity. YMMV

ETA: you can make your own desiccant packs by going to your local hobby store (hobby lobby?) and in the flower section you can find bags bulk desiccant to make your own packs. Cotton children's socks and a twisty tie work well for DIY packs.

There are kitty litter crystals that are just silicon dioxide too. I think the brand name is Fresh Step crystals? But I think Walmart has a "store brand" equivalent too called "Mini Litter" that comes in a 4 lb. bag for about 9 bucks or so. I use coffee filters and a stapler to just make little envelopes (big envelopes compared to the little desiccant packs that are used in packaging) to contain the crystals.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

There are kitty litter crystals that are just silicon dioxide too. I think the brand name is Fresh Step crystals? But I think Walmart has a "store brand" equivalent too called "Mini Litter" that comes in a 4 lb. bag for about 9 bucks or so. I use coffee filters and a stapler to just make little envelopes (big envelopes compared to the little desiccant packs that are used in packaging) to contain the crystals.

What a bunch of crap to go through when for 17 to 20 bucks on sale ( Midway right now ) you can put maintenance free system. I guess whatever floats your boat.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    I run an off brand "Golden Rod" and two rechargeable desiccant devices in my safe. One is a plastic one that you plug into a wall outlet when it gets moisture in it and the other is a metal can type that you place in the oven to recharge. I have to do both maybe every 2-3 months.
    It is my understanding that the Golden Rods give off just enough heat to keep air inside the safe in circulation.
    Never had any issues with wood stocks drying out too much.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Went with the goldenrod 13 years ago with my safe in the basement, never a problem. Big reason, hassle free.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    A Golden Rod and similar devices are not a "dehumidifier".... they are simply a heat source that causes a tiny temperature rise in your safe. By raising the temperature the ability of the air to hold moisture increases and the temperature rise causes pressure in your safe to rise (ever so slightly) as well. The pressure rise expels a bit of air and with it a tiny bit of moisture... until the pressure equalizes. Once the pressure equalizes, the heating rod is no longer providing any benefit.

You need a desiccant to remove humidity if you have that problem.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Goldenrod in the big safe, bake to recharge dessicant tins in the handgun safes.

Edit: Just saw I crossed the 10,000 post threshold. I need to get a life. LOL

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    I also have an Eva Dry and it works just fine. Thinking of buying an extra so I can recharge one and replace the other when I get in the safe.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I've knocked over a desiccant can during a safe move. It oozed out over everything in the bottom of my safe. My fault for not removing it before moving the safe. It ate the finish off everything, 870 barrel, wood rifle stock, old 22 scope, rusted the bottom of the safe. I now prefer not to have a liquid container in my safe.

Top Bottom