HTC droid dropped in toilet...found a tip to dry it out that worked!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I've heard of many folks submerging electronics that have been subject to moisture in isopropyl alcohol to displace the water still inside, then allowing them to dry before attempting to power back on.
    Either pure alcohol (isopropyl is only 70% pure) or distilled water. Then dry out. Might take days. The warranty will be void, however.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [

I agree...holding my breath for now. Concerned that a mix of urine and water won't be good for long term corrosion. My only hope is that nothing major got wet, and the momentary hang up was just because of some non-critical items malfunctioning.

Corrosion has a mind of it's own. I've seen it kill electronics when seemingly not even visible. Consequently, I've seen circuit boards covered with corrosion that weren't effected.

QUOTE=danielocean03;3126217]I've heard of many folks submerging electronics that have been subject to moisture in isopropyl alcohol to displace the water still inside, then allowing them to dry before attempting to power back on.[/QUOTE]

Either pure alcohol (isopropyl is only 70% pure) or distilled water. Then dry out. Might take days. The warranty will be void, however.

I have heard of techs taking warranty rejected water damaged phones, scrubbing the boards with alcohol and using the phones themselves for years. That said, the reason water damaged phones have to be waranty or service rejected is that they are totally unpredictable. They could last years or go belly up tomorrow.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Sorry to disappoint everyone, but using uncooked rice doesn't work, as it doesn't absorb moisture. If it did, any rice ever stored in a non airtight container would be soggy if left for any amount of time (it won't be). Rice is sold in bulk bags all the time that are not airtight.

Purely coincidence when your phone works after being in rice. It merely dried out on its own.

I used to work in a cell phone store and dealt with a lot of water damaged phones. People would often leave them for me to dispose of :D Made a lot of money on ebay repairing these things!

My wife has also submerged her blackberry no less than 5 times, so I've become rather experienced at dealing with this. Here is my recommendation:

1. Remove the battery IMMEDIATELY. Do NOT put the battery back in until after this procedure. If you start running current through it when it's wet you will short things out and destroy important components.
    2. Take it apart and dry what you can with a paper towel.
    3. Clean it with 100% rubbing alcohol and a toothbrush. Get in all the crevices and around as many of the components on the circuit board as you can.
    4. Blow it out thoroughly with compressed air.
    5. Put it in a ziplock full of rice and seal it after pushing out as much air as you can. Leave for maybe 12 hours.
    6. Put it back together and see if it works.
    7. Repeat this procedure until it does work.

Sometimes it would work again for a few months and then start acting weird, and I'd take it apart and do this again (sometimes a little corrosion would show up).

Just my :twocents:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I jumped in our pool once with my phone in my pocket. Started vibrating as soon as I hit the water. Got out, removed battery and sim, blew out with air compressor, sat it in the sun on the deck railing. Took it in the house later and the next morning it worked like a champ. My daughter was thrown in a pool last week by some of her friends. The friends mother took it apart and put it in a bag-o-rice. It's still quite dead, so she is using my old phone. Both are just dumb phones, not even sure of brand. The friends mother called apologizing profusely and insisting that her son give my daughter his shiny new Iphone. Took me 15 minutes to convince her I wasn't pissed and it was no big deal.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I used to work in a cell phone store and dealt with a lot of water damaged phones. People would often leave them for me to dispose of :D Made a lot of money on ebay repairing these things!

Nice. :rolleyes:
    Another affirmation of why I don't shop ebay.

I'll be shopping for a used 4G phone soon. What's the best way to avoid getting a water damaged phone?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I NEVER try to power a "wet" phone up anytime within 24 hrs. If I think it's gotten wet I take the battery out immediately and I wait extra long just to be safe. There is no single phone call worth the cost of a phone to me that I just have to get it powered back up.

In most cases letting the phone dry in a warm environment (as mentioned in the OP) for at least 24 hours has done very well for me.

Don

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Greenfield
    It is hard to find, but the 99% pure ispopropol or you can buy it in the gas dry section at walmart. Just read the label, it absorbs water like none other.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Nice. :rolleyes:
    Another affirmation of why I don't shop ebay.

I'll be shopping for a used 4G phone soon. What's the best way to avoid getting a water damaged phone?

I listed them honestly, as water-damaged but still functioning. I didn't do anything fraudulent.

They have white water marks that turn red once they get wet. Watch out for that when shopping.

tocaman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    MT->MI->IN->SC
    Dropped my wife's old school v3 Razr in the toliet once about 4 years ago.. removed battery and hit it with the hair dryer for about 5 minutes. Still working today.

I work around pools and have always had insurance on any phone worth more than the deductable.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I listed them honestly, as water-damaged but still functioning. I didn't do anything fraudulent.

They have white water marks that turn red once they get wet. Watch out for that when shopping.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything different.

This is good info. sounds like one could buy a couple "water-damaged but still functioning," phones to have a backup around. I'd have no trouble paying a good price for an advertised phone as such. Especially with an "everything works at time of sale," guarantee.

Any other places they are sold besides ebay? I really am shopping in the used phone market. I have a grandfathered plan with Verizon that is forcing me to go this way.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply anything different.

This is good info. sounds like one could buy a couple "water-damaged but still functioning," phones to have a backup around. I'd have no trouble paying a good price for an advertised phone as such. Especially with an "everything works at time of sale," guarantee.

Any other places they are sold besides ebay? I really am shopping in the used phone market. I have a grandfathered plan with Verizon that is forcing me to go this way.

Why? I'm grandfathered and I got a new phone two months ago. I even used the "new every two".

Top Bottom