HTC droid dropped in toilet...found a tip to dry it out that worked!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Last night I was getting ready for bed, and after emptying my bladder, My phone (HTC Thundebolt II) proceded to drop out of my shirt pocket (still had my dress shirt on from work) as I reached to flush. It was super slow-motion. The phone slowly tumbled towards the bowl, end over end. It bounced off the rim, then across to the other side of the rim, before rattling into the bowl. It was like watching one of the few freethrows Shaq actually made. :D

In one motion I grabbed for the phone, which had just dipped into the water a split second, and swooped it out. It didn't appear very wet, and the screen was still on, which was good. The rubber shock cover appeared to have kept most of the moisture out, and it had beaded up on the screen.

I popped the back off of the phone, popped out the battery, and did see some moisture under it. I dried everything off really good an used a baby wipe to wipe it all down, hoping the alcohol in the wipe would both help cleanse the phone, and help evaporate any left over moisture.

I tired to power it back up....and it would get stuck on the HTC start up screen. Crap! I was sure it was fried.

I jumped on the internet, and found a few Droid forums where people had the same thing happen. Some suggested placing the phone in a bag of rice to absorb the moisture. Unfortunately we had no loose rice in the house, just the pre-cooked microwave style.

Some other threads I found mentioned setting the phone on top of a cable box, or other piece of audio/video equipment. The thinking was the warm air coming from the cooling fan would help dry out the phone. I gave that a chance, and let the phone sit over night on top of my surround sound reciever.

This morning I put it all back together....and.....it started right up! :rockwoot:

I am one lucky dude. So, if you get your smart phone wet, try the following:

1) Do not power on...that could short out anything that may not have been damaged already.

2) Remove the battery and as many of the covers as you can

3) Dry up any visual moisture

4) Place it on top of a cable tuner, dvd player, stereo receiver, etc. such that the vented air from the cooling fan is blowing on the phone. I did for about 6 hours, but a lot of internet posts I read recommend 12-24hrs.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    i have heard of people having luck by putting the phone in a bowl of uncooked rice, which absorbs the moisture.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    OK, Titanium_Frost's second clothing line is going to be

CR/UR

to settle the rice debate :rofl:

Glad your phone is working. Did you have a case on it? Many manufacturers have a water detector hidden inside so when you say you didn't drop it in water they can figure it out. Pretty sneaky

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    So now you have to make every phone call and surf INGO with a urine soaked phone? Nasty. :D

A work colleague had the same thing happen but it was in a public restroom. I was washing my hands and he calmly walked up to the sink basin next to me, started washing his hands, and had him tell me what happened. He left it in the toilet and just walked away. Said there was no way he was fishing that thing out.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    So now you have to make every phone call and surf INGO with a urine soaked phone? Nasty. :D

A work colleague had the same thing happen but it was in a public restroom. I was washing my hands and he calmly walked up to the sink basin next to me, started washing his hands, and had him tell me what happened. He left it in the toilet and just walked away. Said there was no way he was fishing that thing out.

Yeah, at least it is my own, though. If it was a public restroom that would be a tough call. I would have grabbed it, but probably thrown up doing so.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I like to use absorbent, clumping kitty litter. Anything that is hygroscopic (water absorbing) is good.

The absolute best is to put it in a container and pull a vacuum on it. This removes the water as it lowers the boiling point so all water converts to vapor and is removed. It can also reverse the water detection stickers in the phones. :)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good job getting it dried out!

Now for the bad and possible bad news. There is a moisture indicator inside the phone that will show it has been wet. The hardware warranty is likely void now. Often, even if the moisture did not cause issues at first, resulting corrosion still might later.

Not trying to paint a negative picture, but it might be good to have a plan in place for replacement. I would not want this phone to be a mission critical device on a mountain top or the like.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Sorry to disappoint everyone, but using uncooked rice doesn't work, as it doesn't absorb moisture. If it did, any rice ever stored in a non airtight container would be soggy if left for any amount of time (it won't be). Rice is sold in bulk bags all the time that are not airtight.

Purely coincidence when your phone works after being in rice. It merely dried out on its own.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    believe this or not, Ive had good luck taking electronics that have been given a bath in something...... taking them apart and washing them out with *distilled water*, letting them dry out and then putting them back together. The problem usually isnt the water (or what ever) its whats in it, and is left behind. distilled water will wash everything out, and when it dries it leaves nothing behind.

but....... Im not sure you could easily do this with todays phones since they are pretty small/delicate and difficult to open up.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've heard of many folks submerging electronics that have been subject to moisture in isopropyl alcohol to displace the water still inside, then allowing them to dry before attempting to power back on.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    My mom's TV remote has had sticky things like 7UP spilled on it a few times. I've taken it apart and washed it out with detergent, then dried it scrupulously. No problems until it happens again. I was at the sink rinsing it once and they were worried over the electricity/water thing, then I went into convulsions like I was being electrocuted. Just me being me, hehe.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Good job getting it dried out!

Now for the bad and possible bad news. There is a moisture indicator inside the phone that will show it has been wet. The hardware warranty is likely void now. Often, even if the moisture did not cause issues at first, resulting corrosion still might later.

Not trying to paint a negative picture, but it might be good to have a plan in place for replacement. I would not want this phone to be a mission critical device on a mountain top or the like.

I agree...holding my breath for now. Concerned that a mix of urine and water won't be good for long term corrosion. My only hope is that nothing major got wet, and the momentary hang up was just because of some non-critical items malfunctioning.

Top Bottom