• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I bought a HP desktop 3-4 years ago and have had a few issues in the past, but were covered by warranty. Today, I was having an issue with a program starting, so I restarted my computer. Now it won't start, and I keep getting the Blue Screen of Death. So I called HP and they said since I was not under warranty anymore that I would have to pay $60 for them to resolve the issue.

What ever happened to companies standing behind their products? This $*** just pisses me off.:xmad:

I am trying a few more things, but it looks like I may have to wipe my PC and restore it and lose all of my music, school work, and documents. :xmad:

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    The warranty is out, they don't have to stand behind anything. They have no idea what you have done to it, put on it, or anything. The computer is outdated also. Sucks to lose all that stuff, but back things up.....twice. I have two portable hard drives with all my photos on them. They are identical copies of each other.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    The warranty is out, they don't have to stand behind anything. They have no idea what you have done to it, put on it, or anything. The computer is outdated also. Sucks to lose all that stuff, but back things up.....twice. I have two portable hard drives with all my photos on them. They are identical copies of each other.

I have a harddrive, but I think the last time I back it up was a few months ago. I hope I haven't added too much since then, but I really don't remember all I've done.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    A 3-4 year old computer throwing a BSOD is probably not the hardware, and HP cannot possibly warranty the operating system without you first restoring it to factory original from the restore CD's. If you don't want to lose all your stuff, pull the hard drive and replace it with a different one, reload the OS, and then buy a $15 USB drive enclosure for the old drive and plug it in via USB.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    A 3-4 year old computer throwing a BSOD is probably not the hardware, and HP cannot possibly warranty the operating system without you first restoring it to factory original from the restore CD's. If you don't want to lose all your stuff, pull the hard drive and replace it with a different one, reload the OS, and then buy a $15 USB drive enclosure for the old drive and plug it in via USB.

Thanks for the info. The computer is running a repair startup right now, but if this doesn't work, I will have to look into this. Thank you very much:yesway:

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    3-4 year old pc? Sucker is already outmoded and it's not designed to last for much longer anyway, I'm afraid. It's like standing behind a car for 50 years after you bought it in many ways.

I've had wonderful experiences with HP: they replaced my motherboard without even asking what caused the damage, and then later replaced my hard drive again with no questions asked and full priority shipping paid by them both ways. All under the warranty, of course, but still excellent service.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    HP is the worst company I've ever dealt with concerning customer service. I've spent hours trying to get an HP printer to work with an HP computer and failed. I have yet to call CS and speak to anyone within 5K miles of Indiana and they've never provided an ounce of help.

For some reason my wife insists on purchasing their crap.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    HP is the worst company I've ever dealt with concerning customer service. I've spent hours trying to get an HP printer to work with an HP computer and failed. I have yet to call CS and speak to anyone within 5K miles of Indiana and they've never provided an ounce of help.

For some reason my wife insists on purchasing their crap.

This. And that's coming from someone who used only HP products for nearly 20 years. Never. Again.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It was a few years back now, I bought a laptop and shortly the H key popped off. Wouldn't be a big deal, but the plastic had broken. Hey, they could throw a keycap in an envelope and mail it to me, easy and obvious solution. No. I had to FedEx it back to them, it would be gone for three weeks, the HD wiped to factory. I was on the phone for about 1/2 hour and couldn't even get the Indian guy to understand how to spell my name. I just put that useless windows key in place of the H until I could score a keyboard and fix it myself.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm running an HP laptop. I have had it for a year and a half now. I use it to run CAD programs quite often. So far, no problems at all. I have never dealt with their customer service, but from my experience, customer service today is not what it used to be.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Why would you ever buy a desktop from a company?

Just build your own from parts from Newegg or Frys. A lot cheaper, and you get everything you need, and none of the crap you don't. Plus you save money because you don't have to pay a couple hundred more just to have a company's logo on the tower LOL!

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Unless you've jacked with it, your system should have a restore point that'll let you go back to an earlier time, not necessarily wiped to factory fresh. Whenever Windows installs major (and a lot of minor) updates, it sets a restore point, you should be able to get back to that. Then start making sure all of your drivers and firmware are up to date.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    OP sorry to hear about your trouble with your laptop.
    Have you learned the lesson of the day?

BACKUP!!! BACKUP!!! BACKUP!!!
    Buy yourself a USB drive and backup your data files.
    Buy yourself a 2nd USB drive and backup your data files and leave that USB drive OFF SITE (ie. not in your own house).

Every sunday do a backup of your data files to USB drive #1
    Every 1st of the month back up your USB drive #1 and take it to the OFF SITE location and get your USB drive #2.

This way you always have a back up at least 1 week old and 30 days old. Should you get robbed or the house burn down your data is safe.

f****** those online/cloud storage solutions. It's your data you want it near you and safe. You can't trust those cloud solutions not to keep your data.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Hp has its own recovery partition in case SHTF
    And your computer should set a restore point any time windows makes an update or you uninstall a program through the uninstall wizard in control panel.

1. I don't have the time.

2. I don't have the knowledge.

3. I don't have the time to gain the knowledge.

4. Convenience has value too.

5. I don't want to.

You could probably have learned in the time it took you to post that response. Dead serious. :)

SecondhandSnake

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Use that HP as a paperweight. That's about the only thing they're capable of handling.

I had an HP Pavilion laptop awhile back and that was a nightmare. Had to be sent in three times for repairs, each of which took 3-4 weeks. Not good for a college student with all of their projects due.

Finally, a week after the 2 year warranty expires, the motherboard fries. Turns out there was a recall for it, as well as the wireless card and the battery. HP refused to repair it under the recall. They said I should have sent it in sooner.

I ended up spending several hours on the phone with their customer service (out of India mind you) and got it escalated several levels to management. Best I could get was them to offer a "discounted" repair for $400, or I can go pound sand. Ended up buying a new one for $350 that's worked for 5 years WITHOUT recalls.

I even sent some emails to different managers/execs at HP. All I got back were stock responses "Sorry, blah blah HP dedicated to customer satisfaction and quality, blah blah blah but we can't do anything for you."

Cliff's: Junk the HP, save yourself the pain.

kc9bpo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2012
    Wife lost her job to HP cause the jobs went to Mexico. Never buying another HP product ever again. Saying they suck isn't enough.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    You could probably have learned in the time it took you to post that response. Dead serious. :)

ah but you missed her #5 "I don't want to" post.

Yes it's easy to build your own PC but some people just don't want to.
    I know how to change the oil in my car (learned when I was 14) but it's been decades since I ever have. Why? I don't want to! I would rather pay someone else to do that work for me. Suspect the same with some people and PCs.

Top Bottom