• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    I love mine, the 3.5mm aux port is a plus.
    Had a set, lost them, bought some Walker's because the usual stores were sold out of HLs, those lasted a month, broke the headband. Bought another pair of the HL. Found the originals. Now I have two. :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Guys thanks for the reviews on these.

I went ahead and ordered them at Amazon.com. $46 shipped.

Full review to come at a later date!

You could have gotten them at the 1500 for $30. I'm sorry that I'm just now seeing this thread.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    There is a booth at the 1500 that sells them. I think it's either connected or actually is the "Clips" booth. They are located on the side where Bobcat Steel is located.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Ok so I received these today from Amazon.com.

snpj78.jpg

I'll be really honest here and say I'm not initially impressed.

First issue is the lack of headband adjustment and travel. Even with the band compressed as far as possible, the earcups still sit low on my head. This, along with the square-ish shape of the earcups, means that I don't get as good of a seal as I'd like. The area just behind my ears seems too exposed. I even tried them with a hat and found the issue to remain.

For contrast I tried my Radians on. They sit very high and could even adjust higher. The earcups are rounded and provide a better seal. They are also tighter fitting-- a good thing for blocking noise, but can push your eyepro into your head after prolonged wear.

The second issue is the sound quality. They have to really be turned up to be effective. They aren't as clear as my Radians. I also discovered the benefit to having dual-powered earcups versus batteries on only one side. The sound attenuation cuts the sound to BOTH ears simultaneously and equally when it encounters a loud sound on either side.This causes an effect where you can actually hear the sound "returning" slowly after a loud noise. This effect isn't present with my Radians, where "clipping" is minimal.

But, the upsides!

I like their green/black color, thin profile, battery access, battery installation, inexpensive price, compact folding, and comfort.

I look forward to trying them out on the range and comparing and contrasting them to my Radians ProAmps.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    There is a booth at the 1500 that sells them. I think it's either connected or actually is the "Clips" booth. They are located on the side where Bobcat Steel is located.
    I stopped by this booth today. They were selling them for a "special show price" of $59.95. I decided to pass.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I stopped by this booth today. They were selling them for a "special show price" of $59.95. I decided to pass.

I can guarantee there was more than several selling lower than that.

There's usually on guy on the first aisle on the north side, south side of it on the west side of the building that is selling them cheap. I have seen them there numerous times.

Car Ramrod

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Westfield
    I can guarantee there was more than several selling lower than that.

There's usually on guy on the first aisle on the north side, south side of it on the west side of the building that is selling them cheap. I have seen them there numerous times.
    I have read your post about 5 times and still can't make heads nor tails of your description of his location. :n00b:

Also, +1 for using the proper aisle and not isle. Some people. :rolleyes:

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have read your post about 5 times and still can't make heads nor tails of your description of his location. :n00b:

Also, +1 for using the proper aisle and not isle. Some people. :rolleyes:

Walk straight after handing off your ticket to the last row, turn left, walk almost to the end of that row, and to your left , either the next to last vendor or the one before him has them.

Does that help?:D

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Howard Leights do not shut down fast enough in the presence of a gunshot. I spent the last 5 1/2 years selling Howard Leights. They are intended for industrial use, not for the application you guys are using them for.

If you choose to compromise your hearing to save a couple of dollars, please double plug under any electronic ear muffs that you might buy at Grainger or other industrial supply houses. Or at a booth at the 1500..

Even the Peltor and other "gun" earmuffs are not fast enough to prevent hearing damage. But they are a lot better than the Howard Leights in the presence of gunfire.

Your dollars and your hearing. Save them both. Double plug.

Please believe me. This is serious crap. I know of what I speak on this subject. If you don't listen to me now, you won't be able to later.

Last edited:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    They are intended for industrial use, not for the application you guys are using them for.

True intentions aside, they are certainly marketed toward shooting. Says so right on the box and in the included literature.

Like I said above, the electronics do seem to be rather "slow". I look forward to actually trying them out.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    yes sir, I know what the box says, printed on it by the marketing department that wants to increase the number of units sold to an ever increasing number of consumers at a discount price point.

PLEASE double plug to protect what can never replaced after it is lost.

If you have plugs in your ears, you will still be able to hear verbal comms from people around you and will still be somewhat protected from gunfire noise.

I have no commercial interest in this subject. I just know that that these devices are not nearly fast enough to protect against gunshot noise.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Guys thanks for the reviews on these.

I went ahead and ordered them at Amazon.com. $46 shipped.

Full review to come at a later date!

I just received a pair of these yesterday for my birthday from my wife. Have not used them shooting yet but did wear them for a while. They are very comfortable to wear for a long period and feel good too. I know I am going to like them very much. :rockwoot:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    So I got my first chance to try out the new HL Impact Sports. They still haven't impressed me.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...racticing_pistol_manipulations_pics_vids.html

flbvrp.jpg

The main problem is fitment. I can't adjust them to fit my noggin. I have what I think is a fairly normal sized head, but the headband is just too big. If I adjust the headband down to its smallest size, and then put the earcups properly around my ears, the headband is sticking up an inch off the top of my head. If I position the headband against my head, the earcups smash down on my ears.

The electronics also aren't as "crisp" as I'd like. The sound quality is so-so, and the sound cutoff seems slow.

Therefore I've decided to bite the bullet and invest in a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-Xs. (mammynun you were right)

I'm still keeping the HLs, however, as I want to do a 4 way comparison of all the electronic earpro I now have access to, including: Howard Leight Impact Sports, Radians Pro-Amps, Peltor Sport-Tacs, and MSA Supreme Pro-Xs.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Evan, in doing your comparison, could you keep an extra eye out on what works best with rifles? By works best I mean, those that don't smack the stock when you are mounting the rifle.

Top Bottom