• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    The "cat in the hat" used up the rest of his nine lives on that one. His last accident was pilot error, and he probably should have turned over the flying to someone else after that. Most professional pilots will go through an entire career without so much as a blown tire, but Roush has had two near-fatal crashes in less than a decade (and this one nearly killed a passenger). If he doesn't voluntarily give up his airman certificate after this one, I'm sure the FAA is just going to take it from him.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Wish they would have gotten the whole thing on video. At least no one was killed this time. Probably should have his ticket pulled but the rich and famous get more breaks than others.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    It almost looks like a nasty cross wind poped up/ wind shear ect ect.

Regardless if I was him I would think twice about flying again.... hopefully he does not trash his P-51.

I work for an airline so I will be carefull what I say..... people get breaks from time to time, even the guy with the piper cub who can barley afford to fly gets them from time to time....... but it is for little stuff, they do and will come down on you like a ton of briks coming out of a fat may sitting on the can when it comes to saftey of flight stuff. If someone is crashing aicraft multiple times the FAA will take notice regardless of who you are.... Chances are very soon the FAA will have a lot of questions for him....... I doubt they will pull his ticket..... that is reserved for people that are found to be neglagent. However I have yet to hear of someone surviving two BAD crashes....

There are rich guys that are good pilots........ Tom Wood seemd to be really sharp and seemed to take it rather seriously..... I would have flown with him any day no problem.

You have the people that take it seriously and get good training and fly alot then you have those that just see it as a hobby.......... the guys that see it as a hobby sooner or later end up spread out over a corn feild.......

I will admit that sometimes things just happen, not to mention on final because of winds or something but that bird was pointed to far to the right that it was almost like he was not expecting anything to happen (not smart)..... if he was wearing his harness tight I don't see how his face could have been banged up like that... looks like his face kissed the insturment pannel..........

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Hey, any one you walk away from is a good landing. That being said, many folks that are smart and make very good money own airplanes. Doctors and lawyers are notorious for not being good pilots. It is pretty hard to be in a demanding profession, i.e. doctor, and be a very current and competent pilot at the same time. There is a reason that being a pilot is a full-time job. This rich folks should just sit back and leave the driving to us.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    He is one lucky S O B !

In more ways than one.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWc9ED9vvuI]YouTube - Jack's Toys Episode 17: P-51 Mustang Airplane[/ame]

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Kinda reminds me of the good old Bonanza from the same company,the one they refered to as the,"forked tail doctor killer", without which we would be up to our A... in doctors! :D

wabash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    SouthWest Indiana
    Pop Up Video

I like the knowledgeable comments from the witnesses., and that they needed to use their hands to talk about it. :)

hmmm. where are the videos of the crash? I would expect every aircraft flying/landing at Oshkosh to be recorded by the airport/event people, and some spectators.

Last edited:

TRWXXA

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2008
    Kinda reminds me of the good old Bonanza from the same company,the one they refered to as the,"forked tail doctor killer", without which we would be up to our A... in doctors! :D
    With the new Very Light Jets (VLJs) comming out, people with too much money and too little time will be offing themselves in spectacular, high-speed fashion. Let's make sure private pilots have 400+ knot jets readily available to them. :rolleyes: Violation of airspace speed restrictions has already moved up to #2 on the list of the most common Federal Aviation Regulation violations, because of VLJs and light turboprops getting into the hands of amateurs.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    With the new Very Light Jets (VLJs) comming out, people with too much money and too little time will be offing themselves in spectacular, high-speed fashion. Let's make sure private pilots have 400+ knot jets readily available to them. :rolleyes: Violation of airspace speed restrictions has already moved up to #2 on the list of the most common Federal Aviation Regulation violations, because of VLJs and light turboprops getting into the hands of amateurs.

I have allways seen planes like I do cars....... with cars you don't go from a honda to even a 400hp car, just not smart, flying a piper cub or something in flight school to jumping into a MIG-21 or something........... just not smart

Top Bottom