• ...and so much more!
  • Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Crises precipitate change. Thinking on selling my 9mm AR SBR and building an MP5k clone SBR. I'm not sure how to go about selling.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...pressed_dedicated_ddles_9mm_sbr_complete.html

My ideas for routes/questions, hopefully straight forward and simple enough.

1. List SBR as whole unit without suppressor (if purchased, does it stay with me until their stamp comes back, or go to their FFL?). Is it ok to leave my possession with my name engraved, or does that need to be milled out?

2. List SBR as pistol setup (can I install a pistol buffer tube, remove suppressor, and sell as a pistol AR? Also, once the receiver is SBR'd, can you sell it as a pistol with pistol buffer tube?

3. Buy another DDLES lower, swap receivers and build as pistol, keep my SBR receiver in safe (likely going to do this one). Does this pose any NFA issues?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Crises precipitate change. Thinking on selling my 9mm AR SBR and building an MP5k clone SBR. I'm not sure how to go about selling.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...pressed_dedicated_ddles_9mm_sbr_complete.html

My ideas for routes/questions, hopefully straight forward and simple enough.

1. List SBR as whole unit without suppressor (if purchased, does it stay with me until their stamp comes back, or go to their FFL?). Is it ok to leave my possession with my name engraved, or does that need to be milled out?

2. List SBR as pistol setup (can I install a pistol buffer tube, remove suppressor, and sell as a pistol AR? Also, once the receiver is SBR'd, can you sell it as a pistol with pistol buffer tube?

3. Buy another DDLES lower, swap receivers and build as pistol, keep my SBR receiver in safe (likely going to do this one). Does this pose any NFA issues?

im defintally no nfa guro, id id sure consider buying a new lower, and keeping the suppressor and lower. you will not get your stamp money back

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    Could also part it out separately. Can't build that lower as a pistol. That whole once a rifle always a rifle thing by the ATF

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Could also part it out separately. Can't build that lower as a pistol. That whole once a rifle always a rifle thing by the ATF

Got it, thanks! I'll buy another lower to build from and keep this in the safe. Thanks for the help guys!

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    That's going to be expensive for someone if you want to just sell them the lower as they would have no choice but to pay the tax stamp. I would think you would be best selling the SBR as a whole and keeping your suppressor or selling your suppressor as a separate item.

Your name will always remain on that lower as you were the manufacturer of the SBR.

If you sell it to an individual, it does not have to go through an FFL unless they want to and I would make them pay the fees for that. As others have done, once you are paid for the SBR, have the purchaser put a cable and lock through it and leave it in your safe until they get their stamp. This keeps it in your possession as required and prevents it from getting further use that your purchaser isn't going to want.

#2 isn't a legal option.

#3 is going to cost you more money, but if you really can't sell it, I guess that is one way to do it.

Another option would be to sell the upper and all the other parts from the lower and keep the lower in your safe. This would prevent you from having to buy anything else and would keep you legal as long as you have the lower.

Last edited:

Mr.JAG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Personally, I'd just part out everything and keep the registered lower.

The lower is going to cause a long wait time to complete a transaction, add at least $200 (that doesn't go to you) to the price of anyone wanting to buy it, and isn't really even worth that much in the grand scheme of things.

Having a registered lower laying around could be a good thing. Who knows, you might want to build a new .300 Black Out SBR next year. If you have that lower sitting around, it won't be a 6 month wait to do so. :D

Goodcat

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    Part out it is! Might actually just sell the upper, less the can, and keep the complete lower in my safe for later. Eyeing that mp5k pdw style SBR, ah!!

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    You can put a long upper on the receiver that is marked with your name and sell it as a Tittle 1 firearm per the BATFE, however, probably not the best option, in particular if you are ever going to get another SBR, The lower alone on an AR SBR is not a SBR in and of it's self, you have to have the short barrel also, unlike machine guns.

http://www.issmc.com/atf/sbr/atf-sbr-letter-dec-11-2009.pdf

atf-sbr-letter-dec-11-2009.gif

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Once its registered as an SBR you have to sell the receiver as an SBR. You can't just slap a 16" upper on it and sell it as a regular rifle as it is still considered an SBR regardless of barrel length.

What you can do is send a letter to the BATFE and have the SBR removed from the NFA registry, and THEN it becomes just a regular title I firearm again, but to become an SBR again you will have to re-register it.

xryan.jacksonx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    Once its registered as an SBR you have to sell the receiver as an SBR. You can't just slap a 16" upper on it and sell it as a regular rifle as it is still considered an SBR regardless of barrel length.

What you can do is send a letter to the BATFE and have the SBR removed from the NFA registry, and THEN it becomes just a regular title I firearm again, but to become an SBR again you will have to re-register it.

I'd go this route if it were me and I didn't want to drag the process out.

bone705

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2012
    I just started looking into the 9mm ars. I haven't decided if I should start with a complete pistol or build a short barrel from the start. If you decide to part, then I may be interested some of your stuff.

amafrank

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Hagerstown

This is not correct. Its only an SBR if it has a short barrel. You can legally remove the short barrel and sell the receiver as a title 1 receiver like any other AR lower. Read the FAQ at the ATF site concerning SBR's and SBS's. This silly idea that the lower or receiver is registered is completely incorrect. Only Machineguns have registered receivers that can be transferred as such. A short barreled rifle must have a barrel and a receiver to need registration and without one or the other it is not an SBR and does not need to be registered. The same is true of shotguns and DD's that fire a projectile (cannons, street sweepers, USAS 12's etc). Pull the barrel and dispose of it and you have a title one receiver on your hands. If you intend to pickup a new shorty upper at some point you can do so but saying that the receiver is registered is wrong. Here is a link to the ATF site with info on how things are. This question is asked all the time and internet rumor tells people that the receiver is registered but that doesn't mean its right.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - National Firearms Act (NFA) - Short Barreled Rifles and Shotguns

hope this helps clarify.

Frank

Top Bottom